Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 10, 2009, 12:33 AM - New bucket and Armour #1

Su'cuy gar vode!!! Im starting another helmet build!!! This one is going to be based off the helmet we see in the game trailer for Star Wars; The Old Republic. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BjJaAA5A7w) I took a few screen shots for reference...

and here is a concept sketch i did...

and then one with color for the fun of it...(the yellow will be gold in the final, but i couldnt find a gold sharpie. )

I started to build it this morning, and hopefully i will update tommorow with progress pics.

A'den
    Last edited by A'den Kyramud; Jun 23, 2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Jun 10, 2009, 4:37 AM - Re: New bucket #2

Here's a quick sketch I did for you to see some of the side pieces, it's not as detailed as yours but hopefully it will help with the visualising

Last edited by Saz.; Jun 10, 2009 at 8:55 AM.
  3. Nevu440
    Jun 10, 2009, 9:17 AM - Re: New bucket #3

Looks like you have it figured out for the looks of it. I am definetaly going to keep my eye on this. What are you going to make it out, will you do a cardboard version and then mold it for just go straight to making a final and all?
    P.s.- I think the bottom of the helmet might be a bit longer, narrower, you know less round? But it looks fantastic!
    Jun 10, 2009, 11:13 AM - Re: New bucket #4

A'den, this is gonna be really nice, keep us posted.
    Jun 10, 2009, 12:43 PM - Re: New bucket #5

yes! keep post! love the way that bucket looks.
    Jun 10, 2009, 3:46 PM - Re: New bucket #6

Saz:
    Thanks!!! I was having trouble figuring out how that spikey RF fin thingy went...those help a ton!!!

Nevu:
    I see what you mean...longer and narrower in the face...thanks mate!!! I'll adjust my build to get that right!!!

Adonian and Creon:
    Thanks vode!!! I'll keep the pics coming (hopefully!)

Hopefully pics of the build will be up by tonight...if not, adonian, please feel free to lay on the whip.

A'den
    Jun 10, 2009, 5:29 PM - Re: New bucket #7

i like whips....
  8. Nevu440
    Jun 10, 2009, 6:51 PM - Re: New bucket #8

What kind of whip? He he he, (hovers his thumb over the "on" button and prepares to turn on his laser whip). But I dont think that will be needed. Glad I can help Aden! I will keep my eyes open on this thread!
    Last edited by Nevu440; Jun 10, 2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Fixing Grammar.
    Jun 10, 2009, 8:09 PM - Re: New bucket #9

Awesome vod! This bucket is ganna be suhweet.
    Jun 11, 2009, 2:23 AM - Re: New bucket #10

OK...no pics...gotta make some slight adjustments BEFORE i put pics up...or else it just looks like a block of bondo-glass...

PS on that bondo-glass stuff: use it!!! it works REALLY well!!! I have about 3mm of the stuff on my helmet, and i can stand on it. great stuff.
  11. Nevu440
    Jun 11, 2009, 8:25 AM - Re: New bucket #11

No problem. My thread of my own build has been going really slow because my camera refuses to work. What is the name of bondo on the can? I havnt gotten bondo for my helmet yet and still trying to figure out what type I need! Should I use the car dent filler, the all purpose putty or the resin type. But seriuosly u can stand on it? Awesome!!
    Jun 11, 2009, 1:23 PM - Re: New bucket #12

UH OH, NO PICS............ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTT Crack, 1 lash to show you we mean business. Or do I have to find Boomer?

Just kidding Vod, I got a lot of room to talk, I havent done much, just fixed the mandables a little. I'll post updates on mine (VERY SLOW PROGRESS) soon too.

I'll let you borrow my whip if I dont get my shebs movin soon.
    Jun 11, 2009, 1:35 PM - Re: New bucket #13

Quote Nevu440 said: View Post
    No problem. My thread of my own build has been going really slow because my camera refuses to work. What is the name of bondo on the can? I havnt gotten bondo for my helmet yet and still trying to figure out what type I need! Should I use the car dent filler, the all purpose putty or the resin type. But seriuosly u can stand on it? Awesome!!
    My camera melted . Gotta get a new one soon.
    As for bondo, just get the dent filler in the red can, I get mine at Wal*mart, works fine, but I do suggest using fiberglass and resin for structural rigidity (?SP) in key areas like where your parts meet.
  14. Nevu440
    Jun 11, 2009, 1:39 PM - Re: New bucket #14

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the help Adonian. But I have no experience with fiberglass, and I am sure my mom wouldnt be very happy about it... Its a bit challenging build for me because there so are so many easier things I could have done, but I am a teenager so not much can be done. Lol
    Jun 11, 2009, 4:10 PM - Re: New bucket #15

UPDATES!!! sorry im late with these...ran out of daylight last night...

Anyways...

Nevu:
    The bondo-glass is in the blue can. And Adonian is right, use fiberglass for structural reinforcement.
    On this bucket I have the paper templates i made (yes, i went VERY cheap and used plain copy paper. Normally you want to use card stock or posterboard &c.) then i layered a thin coat of bondo-glass over that. After the bondo dried i added sheets of 3mm sintra to the inside for reinforcement (in place of internal fiberglassing) then i put a full coat of bondo-glass (about another 3mm worth) over the skim coat that was already on the helmet.
    What i normally do on a bucket is make the posterboard version, fiberglass inside and out, then bondo the outside and sand smooth. On this helmet, i decided to try a cheaper (and MUCH faster) route.
    and yes, standing on it is kinda cool. Bondo-glass is amazing stuff...way strong!!!

Adonian:
    Uh-oh...Boomer?!? I better get to work!!!

Thanks vode!!!

A'den

PS- more updates to come. I will be in Cali over the weekend, and HOPEFULLY going to bring some electronics to play with, so when i get back on Tuesday, i may have really cool lights in this helmet to show you!
  16. Nevu440
    Jun 11, 2009, 4:25 PM - Re: New bucket #16

WOW! That is amazing! Looks really good. Though, just my 2 cents here, you said you might make the chin area more narrow and less round looking. In the picture of what you made showed, it doesn't seem that you did. Compared to the pics from the trailer, it looks great! And thanks for the info on Bondo-glass. (Sorry to be asking questions about my issues in your post.) Looking forward to see more!
    Jun 11, 2009, 4:30 PM - Re: New bucket #17

HOLY POODOO, I take back the whip strike, THAT ROCKS, you GOTTA cast it so I can buy a copy of it.
    @Nevu, A'den and I seem to ramble in our posts, so I'm sure he doesn't mind us conversing about your bucket, were here to help. A'den has done far more than I have, he is really knowledgable.

Sorry nother edit... As for the bottom chin being round, that is easy to fix, greebles baby
    Last edited by adonian; Jun 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM.
    Jun 11, 2009, 4:42 PM - Re: New bucket #18

Nevu:
    Thanks!!! The chin is actually going to have that little nose guard thingy on it, which SHOULD take away that rounded form...i think... if it doesnt, i agree with you, and will probably cut it to correct the look. but only if i have to!
    and no problem. Like Adonian said, we do ramble a bit. so no worries! ask away!!! and np. always willing to help!

Adonian:
    Thanks vod! And hopefully going to try and cast these...just not sure how yet...
    Jun 11, 2009, 5:37 PM - Re: New bucket #19

Quote A'den Kyramud said: View Post
    Adonian:
    Thanks vod! And hopefully going to try and cast these...just not sure how yet...
    I'm willing to paypal donate funds for casting materials.
  20. Nevu440
    Jun 11, 2009, 6:30 PM - Re: New bucket #20

Nevu:
    The chin is actually going to have that little nose guard thingy on it, which SHOULD take away that rounded form...i think... if it doesnt, i agree with you, and will probably cut it to correct the look. but only if i have to
    LOL! But I understand, after the effort already put into it, you dont like to re-do things. I agree.
    Jun 11, 2009, 7:23 PM - Re: New bucket #21

Pretty solid foundation you have to work on there mate. Well done!
    Jun 11, 2009, 9:49 PM - Re: New bucket #22

more more more
    Jun 12, 2009, 4:54 AM - Re: New bucket #23

wow... i have no understanding of how you did it, but that looks pretty good!
  24. Member Since
    May 2009
    Jun 12, 2009, 3:54 PM - Re: New bucket #24

I can't wait to see how this turns out. Furthermore, Old Republic looks incredible.
    Jun 12, 2009, 8:45 PM - Re: New bucket #25

and yes, standing on it is kinda cool. Bondo-glass is amazing stuff...way strong!!!
    I demand a picture of that!

Helmet is looking, well as I said it would be, suhweet!!!