Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2009
    May 23, 2010, 6:16 PM - My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #1

Hi, all.

Not sure where to post this, but thought some might get a kick out of seeing what I am doing with the FP Budget helmet I just got. I kinda went nuts and have been working on it since the day it arrived and I got home from work. I still need to install the visor (which I thought to order with it), paint the details on the circuit board in the key slots, Pad it, and do the final weathering and carbon scoring marks around the dent.

First guy to see it told me it looked like a cheap Boba wannabe helmet. I took that as a compliment...even though I know it was a snipe from this guy

Next to the wife's asok cold cast bucket:

Closer shot:

Horrible close-ups of the weathering/damage so far:

And...totally off the bucket topic...my left shoulder (still needs final weathering/scoring):

Just thought I'd share
  2. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 23, 2010, 6:25 PM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #2

The rest of the helmet looks to new to have that weathering going on get it more used looking
  3. Member Since
    Apr 2009
    May 23, 2010, 7:02 PM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #3

Yep...hence the statement about final weathering and carbon scoring still to be done. That has to wait till I get some more materials and charcoal.
    May 23, 2010, 9:56 PM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #4

looks pretty good tho, doesn't look cheap to me, actually looks pretty decent.
  5. Member Since
    Apr 2009
    May 29, 2010, 10:25 AM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #5

Well...as done as I plan to get with the helmet. Probably should have done some more weathering to the right side, but I really like the way it makes it look like the left just got caught with buckshot or shrapnel or something while not being overly aged. I scratched it up some and rubbed charcoal dust in the finish to give it a little dirtier look (pics kinda wash that out, though). Just my personal preference, I guess. Charcoal and black cat firecrackers are about all I used for weathering/carbon scoring, dirtying. I did have some extra time at work yesterday (since everyone else took the day off to get an even longer weekend), so I took a shot at painting the circuit board that was molded in under the key slots. I really like how that turned out (though my camera sucks, so can't take good, close up pics).

Thanks again to Chris for such an awesome bucket to work with. Can't wait to get the cod piece to get this kit finished.
  6. Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Jul 25, 2010, 10:23 PM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #6

Well...don't want to start a new thread just to post these pics, so gonna add them here

Just got the kit "finished" (like any armor is ever really finished). Here are the pics we shot this evening:

Thanks again to Chris for the great bucket, knees and cod piece and Cruzer for the back plate. All the rest of the parts (except the knees which are SR/FP rubber ones) were made by me in my garage...with lotsa cussing ;P
    Jul 26, 2010, 12:22 PM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #7

The mini-gun on the left gauntlet looks pretty sweet.
    Jul 26, 2010, 3:48 PM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #8

Very nice. The weathering looks much more "natural" with the carbon scoring and what not.
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jul 27, 2010, 6:13 PM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #9

YOUR ARMOR MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A WALKING KRIFFING TANK A WALKING TANK, And The weathering does look pretty legit..... but the only way too get proper weathering is too actually damage it
  10. Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Nov 19, 2010, 10:04 AM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #10

Hi, guys. Forgot I had this thread going until I was asked why I never updated it after our photo shoot. So here's a few pics from it (photography by Kevin Smith Imagery):

Since the shoot, I have changed up some things (probably never be done modding this thing...ever). The knees and shoulders are now done in an umber/yellow color, the boots have been changed out to a pair that actually fit me, and the flamer hoses are now black. The braided white hoses looked cool to me at first. But, after seeing them in the great quality pics Kevin took, they just looked stupid and out of place. They are now done with tube road counter hoses...that hade been run over a bazzillion times so they are nice and weathered.

Here is a pic of the new color scheme. It was taken the night before Halloween while we were bar-hopping in costume downtown. I had to ditch the back pack and mini-gun feed chute to allow me to get through the crowded bars. I plan to make a "short mag" for the mini-gun and use some of the left over hose for when I don't want to wear the pack (just tuck the hose inside the back plate or something).

Feel free to critique and comment. Got some upgrades to do this weekend to meet the new CRLs for the Mercs, so open to any minor suggestions while I'm at it.
    Nov 19, 2010, 10:08 AM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #11

great pics
  12. Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Nov 22, 2010, 1:47 PM - Re: My Custom Mando (with FP Budget Bucket) #12

Thanks. Kevin did one helluva job on the whole photo shoot. Got a ton of great pics of all the guys and gals that showed up that day.