My Custom Mando Bucket

From
    Titusville, FL

My Custom Mando Bucket

I've had a Rubies '97 sitting around for over two years. I had the intention of modifying it to look like a REAL Fett, but never got around to it. Now, while I'm waiting on other projects, I finally decided to pick up the Mando again - especially after I saw the DC'07 pics of the Mercs and the Mando flash program.

I first started by doing the obvious, slicing out the horrid excuse for a T-visor.

Next I primmed the whole thing with a rust coat. (No pics of this because I did it two years ago.

I want my scheme to be black, yellow, and silver, so then I painted the whole bucket black.

Prep...

My son got a little enthusiastic about helping Daddy (especially since this one will probably wind up his anyway )

Yellow parts done!

It's been raining a lot lately, so it's so damp outside. I'll probably wait a little before getting the silver parts ready.

Opinions so far?

David.

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

Re: My Custom Mando Bucket

It's bright! You definitely won't get lost wearing that color, nor will you get hit by any cars =D

You need to install a craft ring to give it shape and strength. Use the tutorial in the following link, it should help you with that.
    Craft Ring installation on Rubies helmets.

Looking great so far though! Are you going to weather or leave it as is?

From
    Titusville, FL

Yeah, I remember about the ring, and heating it up to mold it like I want it. There's a lot of work left, but I'm not going to get too into this one because it's for my son. Now, when I make my WOF scratchbuilt, that's another quest...

Weathering this one, probably not. But yes on the one I make for me.

David.
    Last edited by Jaiden; Sep 22, 2007 at 12:28 PM.

From
    Titusville, FL

I got impatient...

There is a little bit of unintended weathering from pulling off the tape masks. I still need to put in the visor and the base ring, but that's a project for another day.

David.

From
    Sunny Sarlacc Pit, NE Florida

Lookin' good, Jaiden......just beware the "I got impatient" bug, tho....that's what I suffer from!
    Rob

From
    Titusville, FL

Ghostsoldier said: View Post
    Lookin' good, Jaiden......just beware the "I got impatient" bug, tho....that's what I suffer from!
    Rob
    Thanks. I can see from your pic it either didn't affect you, or you learned from your mistakes. Either way, your set looks great.

I forgot to add the pic of masking for the silver. Here it is...

My son got so excited when I told him this bucket was for him, he can't stop wearing it!

And here it is after installing the face shield. I still have to get the tinting for it, as well as putting the shaping-ring in the back.

Also, I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this when dealing with a Rubies (probably a dozen times ) but I had to trim off quite a bit of the edging around the T-slot so the visor would fit flush.

Thanks for the comments!

David.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

i've got a rubies '97 that i'm going to be donating to a friends childs boba costume, yours has quite a few of the same problems mine does. but i've got to ask, what is this shaping ring i've heard about more than a few times now in the rubies helmet threads? what is it? where can i get it? and how much is it?

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

You can purchase them at any crafts store such as JoAnn's, A.C. Moore, etc. They are pretty cheap, maybe a couple $. It's just a metal ring used for wreath making and other misc. crafts.

I posted the link to the tutorial 5 posts up =D