Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

My Custom Design

From
    Limerick, Ireland

Re: My Custom Design

Skupilkinson said: View Post

I gotta say - I would have left this and darkened/shaded these rough areas as weathering - looks really cool!

Dave

From
    Wales, UK

@ Mckenic, The darkest areas you see on the dome are where I used my Dremmel to grind out filler to make dents along with a sort of gash or slash sort of mark. The grey is just primer.

So the helmet hasn't been built to look new, I'll add to this with paint effects when I get to that stage.

As for my paint scheme, I'm going for blacks and greys with probably a flash of a brighter colour somewhere or even white. My flightsuit is black, botts are black, vest is black pleather so it'll need some colour somewhere to break it up a tad.
    Last edited by Skupilkinson; Aug 17, 2008 at 8:23 AM.

From
    Limerick, Ireland

@ Mckenic, The darkest areas you see on the dome are where I used my remmel to gring out filler to make dents along with a sort of gash or slash sort of mark. The grey is just primer.

So the helmet hasn't been built to look new, I'll add to this with pait effects when I get to that stage.
    SWEET! Although it would look good new - the dark areas look DANGEROUS!

Dave

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

Very sweet bucket! You did a great job fiberglassing that bucket, and the visor is awesome. =)

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks very much guys. Noval, coming from you it means alot. I love your lid and armor buddy!

I didn't want to make it new as to me, the new looking lids just don't seem real to me. How can a Mando look like he's seen action if his helmet doesn't have a single dent or scratch on it?? Like Jango for instance, I love his look and what not but he was just too clean.

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Looks Great!!!

From
    Wales, UK

Sorry it's been so long guys. I've been rather busy with this and that so haven't had too much time for this.

Thankfully though the last two days have given me enough time to start building armor!!

Like my lid, I laminated the templates onto thicker 1mm card for strength. I'm relieved to report that the fit has been good throughout! So I've not had to rebuild anything. Phew!!

Here's some pics for you guys to see:

dsc00244s-jpg

dsc00245s-jpg

dsc00247s-jpg

That's my knees, chest, back, butt, lumber, and those little bits that go in the center of the torso. I haven't thought of a name for those yet. LOL!

Still more to build AND design but it's getting there. I finally got my mum to take away my vest for sewing together! Got some cool ideas for that too.

From
    Limerick, Ireland

WOW!

Looking good Skip! Really impressive and sharp edge build.
    If I can be so bold... could you briefly describe the lamination process??? Do you laminate the card in a standard Laminator? How do you join the edges if so?

Thanks mate - these look really well!
    Dave

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks buddy.

I say "laminated" but basically, I glue the printed templates to thicker card. 1mm mounting board. For standard corner joins I keep the glue tabs on and glue them together like a papermodel. For more curved surfaces like the chest, I cut the tabs off and use small strips of card to glue the two edges together for a cleaner finish.

Any gaps, or slightly ill fitting seams can be sanded back a little and then coated with some resin to seal the card, then filled over to smooth it all out.

From
    Limerick, Ireland

Thanks Skip!

This makes perfect sense now - I had pictured you with a hotglue gun and an infinate amount of patience

This must make the model uber-strong... interesting...

Dave

From
    Wales, UK

Pretty strong yeah. The fibreglass just boosts that even further, though the card itself is pretty durable. Not good enough for trooping in or anything though.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

The backplate is my favorite piece. Nicely done.

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks, it's a little RC but my guy won't have the usual Mando jet pack. It'll be more RC pack to carry supplies and ordinance(sp?), though it won't be an RC copy.

So, the square plate on the back is for mounting the pack.

Hey Skip, I see you gots the chest printed out and ready for some Resin and Bondo...NICE!!

Can't wait to see what else you are gonna add on this...

As for me, I just started glassing the gauntlets for my Fett suit and also started doing some small ideas for my Guants on my Custom...I plan on doing the Left gauntlets for both arms, just flipping the patterns for the right side...I gots some ideas for the shoulders...(ODST parts)

Well when I get to it, I will show it but other than that, I can't wait to see what you do for the rest of your Custom!! Keep it up

From
    Wales, UK

Hey thanks bro!

I'm building my biceps and shoulders today.

From
    Wales, UK

Hey guys,

Just another quick one to show off my shoulder and bicep armor. So far I only have one of each but I'm doing the others today.

dsc00249s-jpg

dsc00250s-jpg

From
    UK

Coming along great guns Skip!

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks alot buddy. I really feel like I'm getting somewhere now.

The bicep was a little tight but after a little trimming it fits great!

From
    UK

The bicep was a little tight but after a little trimming it fits great!
    Your gonna have to stop working out bruv!

From
    Wales, UK

LOL! Rather a good thing I didn't start!

From
    Wales, UK

Good day today!! Most of my pouches and belts have arrived! I have two triple pouch pieces for one of my belts along with a triple pouch for the belt that also straps to my leg.

Then a wider belt with cardridge loops to sit on above the other belt. It's made of webbing and nylon but that's what I wanted from the start since my armor plates will have a webbing system for them too so it'll all be co-ordinated. Fit is good and I'm really pleased!!

Here's some pics:

dsc00251-jpg

dsc00252-jpg

dsc00253-jpg

Makes me want to go and do some more work on my armor now!!!

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

I like the direction your armor is heading. It's very original and unique! Not many people do the bicep armor thing, so it's good to see some work done on that to.

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks again buddy! I'm going for something a little more "present day" I guess but I like the more practical look of modern day combat gear in tandem with my armor. I think it keeps it a little down to earth. That and I couldn't afford leather gear that suited my picture of what I wanted to look like.

I like the bicep, although not the most original idea maybe(Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers etc.) it makes sense for my guy as he's more heavily armored so it'd make sense for him to have more coverage. I've still got alot to do on this armor but I'm hoping to have enough done soon to go to an event in.

From
    Wales, UK

Morning guys,

I made two more purchases yesterday for my custom. Though now that I have I'm not sure about them.

They're my weapons!

I've been thinking long and hard about what my Mando should carry, from a Boba style blaster rifle, to an RC DC-17(thinking my character could have been one of the unmentioned Mandos that trained Clones at Kamino, took a fancy to the deece and got one for himself).

I also remember seeing a member here modify and repaint a Nerf N-Stike Longshot!! That looked great so I started looking into more Nerf blasters. There were loads of kids toy looking ones but a fair few that looked more the part for this kind of thing so long as you look past the bright color schemes. My favourite of all was the Vulcan as it was defenitely the heavier looking weapon of them all, it even had a tripod!! Though it was far too pricey for me, ebay not even offering a cheap one.

So, I've opted for one N-Strike Maverick with it's 6 shot rotating barrel and one Night Finder pistol. Both I think will look great after some mods and some weathered paint.

2154880954_80380ebf5f-jpg

8048_1-jpg

Though I can't help but feel like I've cheated or something. I'll wait for them to arrive and see how they look after some paint.

Any feedback on these would be great. I really want to be accepted into the Mercs when I'm done so if anyone knows if these would be accepted, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

From
    Qc, Canada

Nice job so far Skip - really like how it's coming along.

As for your NERF guns... I've seen a lot of people over at Mercs using the Maverick repainted as one of their Mando's weapon - so you shouldn't have any trouble with this one. As for the night finder - I don't know. My opinion, it will require some modding - but then you're already planning on doing some, should be OK too .