Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Aug 9, 2008, 6:52 PM - Re: My Custom Design #51

Ok......so if I want to try this....where would one acquire such a "schematic" made for paper? To make so easy that is.
    Aug 10, 2008, 1:46 AM - Re: My Custom Design #52

By "schematic" do you mean templates? For making your own Mando helmet?

There are two sets of templates on this forum. Just go to the helmet section and search for "templates". You'll find mine, and WoF's, both are pretty similar since they're for the same helmet.
    Aug 10, 2008, 4:18 PM - Re: My Custom Design #53

Update on my helmet again. I had a wee problem this morning, the filler hadn't set as it should when I left it lastnight. It was still really soft, I'd failed to mix the hardener in thoroughly so I had to scrape it all off and start over.

Still, it's all done now and looking pretty good IMO. I spent alot of the time sanding the dome, it's getting there but still needs more work tomorrow. The face is good now, nice and smooth and I finished off by filling in the cheek plates and the rear. Tomorrow I'll be sanding that back too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00215s.JPG 
Views:	1027 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	26628

Name:	DSC00216s.JPG 
Views:	1024 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	26629

Name:	DSC00218s.JPG 
Views:	1030 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	26630

I've also started to model my custom gauntlets this evening. Nothing to show just yet but I will when they're ready.
    Aug 10, 2008, 6:14 PM - Re: My Custom Design #54

Hey Stormrider, I'm interested in a set of those custom earcaps. Are you planning to make those available for sale?
    Aug 11, 2008, 2:50 AM - Re: My Custom Design #55

Here's a screen cap of my Gauntlet design. I just modelled this as I went, I didn't draw a rough sketch or anything before hand.

Name:	Image8.jpg 
Views:	1037 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	26633

I like them, and last night I was thinking about using them for both arms but now I'm not so sure. The cylinders you see are just to represent some sort of launcher tube or barrel. and the block on the outer side of each gaunt will be a mounting bracket of sorts for various weapons. I've not designed those yet.

I was wondering if I might get some opinions as to whether I should use them for both armos or just one? OR even if they just don't fit in with the SW look? That thought has crossed my mind a few times now.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated guys. :
    Aug 11, 2008, 3:06 AM - Re: My Custom Design #56

Morning Skip...
    The gauntlets look really nice, as for 'fitting-in' with the SW scheme it's totally a persoanl choice? With Boba / Jango we're pretty set on the gauntlets and what they look like.
    With a custom it's pretty much what is in your imagination...

'Personally' I'd probably go for 2 different types for diff ranges of weapon attachements?
    Aug 11, 2008, 3:13 AM - Re: My Custom Design #57

I'm thinking that too. Though maybe the same base gaunt, with two different attachments on the mounting block? That's why it's there to mount different weapons.

The other idea I had was to have a different gaunt on the opposite side that would hold a small survival pack kinda like the Predator?? I know he's not SW but the concept makes sense. Emergency gear within easy reach? Though in reality I thought it'd make a good place to store my wallet or phone or something when I'm wearing this?

Oops, shouldn't have said that. Now people will know where I'd be storing my cash!!!! LOL
    Aug 13, 2008, 11:39 AM - Re: My Custom Design #58

Updates guys.

I've started to build my armor today. Just the knees but I wanted test my scaling to make sure the rest would fit me. Luckily I got it right the first time and it should all fit me.

I'll be glassing and smoothing tomorrow.

I've not touched the helmet in two days because of the armor build and because I've been drawing up my plans for the flack vest. I'll be sewing that together later hopefully. I can't wait but at the same time I'm nervous incase I mess it up.

Anyway, I left the helmet with the mandables filled and half sanded. It's nearing the end now but looking pretty decent I think. I've now got some T-nuts for fixing in the visor. I'm going to alter the design for the shape of the visor too to fit my charcters look more than the previous visor I had in mind.

Here are some pics.

Name:	DSC00219s.JPG 
Views:	977 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	26675

Name:	DSC00220s.JPG 
Views:	978 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	26676

Name:	DSC00221s.JPG 
Views:	990 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	26677

Name:	DSC00222s.JPG 
Views:	970 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	26678
    Aug 13, 2008, 12:01 PM - Re: My Custom Design #59

Ive seen mando art work with a hypo injector on the fist./gaunt for a medic.

Makes sense, instead of carefully injecting people, a mando would just sock the person they wanted to 'treat'.

I like the gauntlets but I dont like the symmetrical aspect. I like the wrist end though, maybe make the elbow ends slightly different.
    Aug 14, 2008, 1:47 AM - Re: My Custom Design #60

Yeah, I've stopped work on the gauntlet models. I liked them but I'm not sure if I liked them enough. I may rework them.

I've cut out all of the fabric for my vest. It's all ready to be sewn together now. The machine I have is old and I think I may need to get it serviced before I try to sew anything. I really don't wanna start and then something go wrong and ruin what I've done so far. Plus, it's been a long time since I've used one so I'm hesitant. LOL!
    Aug 15, 2008, 2:39 AM - Re: My Custom Design #61

Got some more updates guys.

The knees have been partially fibreglassed the strengthen them for more fibreglass today. The first one was starting to get get a little floppy when I tried to 'glass the whole thing so I used some objects to hold it in shape while it set. For the secong one I just opted to lay a few strips across the main ring and left it to harden. No they won't get floppy when I go back to finish them off later.

I still haven't sewn my vest together. My mum used to be a seamstress so I'm hoping that she may pop ound and do it for me. I'm 29 but still call on mummy for help every now and then. LOL!

My helmet has come a long way I think. I gave it a coat of primer to see just how near the end I was. There was still filling and sanding to do back to it! I've opted to fill the vent at the back in favour of something more unique or customised, I've also started to add dents and dings to it. The biggest thing is that I've now cut out my visor area! That needs sanding back to the guidelines today along with sandint back the left mandable. Then it should be done and ready for ear pieces.

Here are some pics:

Name:	DSC00223S.JPG 
Views:	987 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	26701

Name:	DSC00224S.JPG 
Views:	915 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	26702

Feel free to somment or offer feedback guys. It's a little quiet here. LOL
    Aug 15, 2008, 2:43 AM - Re: My Custom Design #62

WOW!
    it's really starting to take shape Skip? that visor area looks cool...
    Aug 15, 2008, 2:50 AM - Re: My Custom Design #63

Thanks alot buddy! I'm really pleased with it so far. I've put a lot of time into this one. Considering it's a firly simple design, it's taking alot to get it right. Still, I'm enjoying every minute of it!
    Aug 15, 2008, 9:09 AM - Re: My Custom Design #64

Looking good mate. Really good work. I can't wait to see it finished!
    Aug 15, 2008, 11:52 PM - Re: My Custom Design #65

That's looking Great Skip, Can't wait for the Finish product!
    Aug 16, 2008, 2:18 AM - Re: My Custom Design #66

Me too! It's fun but I just want the sanding to end! LOL! I decided to surprise the wife yesterday by NOT toucing the helmet or going out into the garage. So no progress but a big smile on the wifes face.

Today though I have nothing planned BUT being in the garage so I hop to have the sanding done AND my visor installed for test fits.
    Aug 16, 2008, 3:03 AM - Re: My Custom Design #67

Quote Skupilkinson said: View Post
    So no progress but a big smile on the wifes face.
    Been there bro!
    Aug 16, 2008, 12:25 PM - Re: My Custom Design #68

Massive progress today!!

I've finished sanding the helmet down and everything is now smooth, except for the dents I've added. LOL! It's primered and I've even had time to make and install the visor!!

I love it! Got quite the kick out of wearing it too with the visor in. I do need to recover the visor though as the film I used has a few bubbls in it. I should have taken my time with it.

Some pics:

Name:	DSC00226S.JPG 
Views:	873 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	26729

Name:	DSC00227S.JPG 
Views:	867 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	26730

Name:	DSC00228S.JPG 
Views:	874 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	26731

And here's the visor!!

Name:	DSC00229S.JPG 
Views:	906 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	26732

Name:	DSC00230S.JPG 
Views:	897 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	26733
    Aug 16, 2008, 12:38 PM - Re: My Custom Design #69

That looks simply amazing, bro! I really really like mirrored visor, and the almost halo-esque shape to the visor opening. If I could ask, and I'm sure alot of people would love to see this as well, if you could do at least a brief tutorial on your method of fiberglassing, because yours turned out GREAT. Do you have any pictures of the glassing process?
    Aug 16, 2008, 12:47 PM - Re: My Custom Design #70

Wow! really cool Skip.... really cool!

I must admit I'd not thought of a mirrored visor but that looks just right?

*the pic of you in it tho* not very flattering bruv?
    Aug 16, 2008, 1:22 PM - Re: My Custom Design #71

Believe me bro, that's an improvement! LOL Kiddin' of course!

Thanks both, I'm glad you like it! As for fibreglassing pics, I'm afraid I have none, though I could photo the inside later for ya. I started glassing the dome first as that had to be reinforced the most. Then just spiralling around and down to the bottom. Though I paid alot of attention the the mandables and just the face area in general as I knew this would become very bendy when the visor was cut out. That part of my lid is around 5mm thick give or take.

I posted pics of the filler stage though, you'll see I worked in sections. Dome, face, ears and trim, cheeks, back, and then the mandables. Touchine up the prvious area as I went.

Can't wait for some ears to arrive to slap on this sucker! Then I can paint!
    Aug 16, 2008, 1:37 PM - Re: My Custom Design #72

Believe me bro, that's an improvement!
    At least we have the same hairline....

Can't wait for some ears to arrive to slap on this sucker! Then I can paint!
    Patience is a virtue... got ya back!
    Aug 16, 2008, 1:40 PM - Re: My Custom Design #73

I know buddy.
  24. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Aug 16, 2008, 4:22 PM - Re: My Custom Design #74

Email reply aint working at the mo so I nearly missed this!

Skip - that is simply AMAZING. The shape of the visor area and brow really look well! Much better than I imagined and I imagined them being very good!

Fair play to you mate - wonderful Mando!

Dave
    Aug 16, 2008, 7:27 PM - Re: My Custom Design #75

Outstanding mate!! Love the visor, just like back at 405th...But Silver! I might have to use Gold for mine..since you've already used silver.

What colours are you planning on using for your Bucket?