Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

My Contribution to TDH

From
    Midlands UK

Re: My Contribution to TDH

I'll see, I know my nieces want a gold and turquois helmet after seeing me make it, so one will go to them, the other will probably be used in an attempt to get a good master sorted.

It was raining today, so I will try tomorrow to get a smooth dome sorted.

From
    San Diego

how much did you spend on the goop? I wanna copy my custom when I'm done. Hop on over to my thread to see my progress and concept (remember the luke were gonna have company, that's me )

From
    Midlands UK

It's not a cheap hobby!

The RTV is expensive, the good stuff was 40 for a 2 litre tin, which will get you about 3 or 4 coats, I learned that you need to add a thickener and an accellerant to keep the stuff from dripping off and sloughing to the bottom.

A 5 litre tub of resin is about 30 and the gel coat is about 30 for a 2 litre tin, I recommend you get the pigmented stuff as you cannot see where you have missed and it can leave holes in the finished piece.

You will also need micro glass balls to make a resin mud, can't remember how much that cost.

It's all about experimentation though, my next task is to go for a resin only attempt, which will be thin, but I am hoping that it will not sag the mold in the places I am having problems with, I want to get a perfect dome cast, and I may just cast the dome, then glue it to one of the earlier casts and bondo it back together.

Either way, it's not going to be a short time before I get anywhere near perfect casting.

It's all very new to me but I am learning by my mistakes though!
    Last edited by Saz.; Mar 11, 2009 at 7:45 AM.

From
    San Diego

wow, kind of expensive, but the rtv is what i need to copy my bucket, then make a glass and resin support correct?
    After you put on the rtv, you made thick areas along the center so you could cut it apart after the glassing right? I've seen some moulding on youtube, but just wanna be sure.

Did you cut your mould apart or only your glass support?

I would have to get the stuff a little at a time, then make the mould, but with your info, I am sure I can do it.

From
    Midlands UK

I'll summarise what I have done later when I have it right, but you are basically correct, you need to ensure you have the right tools for the job though.

As for mine, I've realised that "somehow" the RTV has stretched and there is a sag, which explains the wobbly head part. I think I will repair the original and start again

I might sell off the other helmet off for cost, but it's a bit of a nightmare.

From
    San Diego

if you wanna sell it, lemme know

From
    Midlands UK

Let me make 100% sure that it would be wise to send it away and I'll post some pics of it for you. The left earpiece is bent and everything!

I'm going to take a quick break from it for a couple of days, get my money making work sorted and then get back on it.

From
    San Diego

absolutely vod, I gotta start work again next week anyway, been unemployeed for a month now

From
    Midlands UK

How about looking at it as though it's 1 months unpaid vacation?

From
    San Diego

Saz. said: View Post
    How about looking at it as though it's 1 months unpaid vacation?
    I like the sound of vacation
    dont like the sound of unpaid
    but I hope to get my 401k cashed out this week or next to pay the bills one more time then start getting a paycheck commin in soon

From
    Midlands UK

Right, well I've started to rebuild the master, remeasured the keyslots and have begun to replace them, they actually look straighter, so hopefully this whole backfire thing will be for the best.

I'm a lot more confident with resin now, so that's a plus point.

Anyhoo, a lot of this is using body filler and sanding it down again. Had a problem with a cheek area again, but it shouldn't take too long to fix, overall pretty positive about the experimentation and, as my friend said over a beer on Friday, each mistake is a way for you not to do it wrong next time.

From
    Midlands UK

Ok, small update as I have had a lot of real life work in and I need to make the money to waste on this

What I have done is straightened out one of the tusks ok and smoothed out the rear left quadrant of the helmet, they are now nice and smooth. I've ripped off the layer of cardboard on the other rear quadrant and have put a layer of filler over that, not so happy with the smoothing, so will fill the dinks and go over it again.

Keyslots have been measured in and look good, I will install them individually and fill any gaps so the silicone won't have chance to get into the cracks and rip them out again when it is pulled from the base.

I'm not to bothered about the visor as it's a cut away part, but I will smooth where it is close to the helmet.

Anyhoo, that's it, sorry it's not much more than that!

From
    Mandalore,NC

sounds like its coming along well friend keep it up!

From
    Midlands UK

Thanks mate,

Suffering from flu today, yay!

Anyhoo, I spotted a cheap flight suit for 40 the other day, it came in the post and fits (just) hopefully will look good with a little weight loss

So looks like i'll be making a suit...

The other good news is that, because I live near Birmingham, England, I may have access to a webley flare gun to cast.

From
    Mandalore,NC

ow hope you feel better,cograts on the flightsuit and you lucky sob lmao

From
    San Diego

Dude, I finally have a real job, so I will be getting some $$ so, when you cast the Webley, you gotta let me know.

That'd be totally sweet

From
    Midlands UK

Sending guns through UK post is a bit of a trouble, so it would have to be insured, just incase customs decides to keep it. Or I'd send it you in separate bits

First things first, I have to persuade the owner of the gun to let me cover it with gunk and cast from it first

From
    San Diego

Hopefully the owner wouldnt mind, I know the silicone will come off clean, maybe you could cast it in sections then piece it together and recast.

From
    Midlands UK

I dunno mate,

It's potentially through a friend of a friend, so i'm communicating to the guy through someone, so I have to be patient about it. It's only a slim chance I'll be able to cast it if even see it.

But fingers crossed!

From
    Mandalore,NC

any updates on the helmet mate?

From
    Midlands UK

Well, I am getting over the flu today but caught up on work, my phone was accidentally broken as well, so I haven't been able to take any pictures.

The keyslots are all cut and I will install them hopefully tomorrow when I am not so busy with money making work, I will take some time with them because I want it to come out in quality.

The front is just about done, I have primed it and it feels ok to the touch, a couple of undulations, but fine grit wet and dry will sort that out.

The rear quadrants are all smoothed and I began to repair on of the ear pieces and fill in underneath the model where the cardboard has degraded.

All in all, I reckon I should have it done by next week (fingers crossed), I'll have my new phone tomorrow and should be able to take some progress pics with that once it has had the initial charge sorted on it.

Also a mate made me feel like a fool when I was explaining about the whole thing to him, he said if you're making a second master from a mold, why don't you make 2, cut the ear bits off and fill in to give people a preference?

So there we go, hopefully, when I am done you'll have the option of With ears and without ears, cold cast and one of the art pieces I'll be doing at a later stage. I am very excited thinking about the contribution I can give to you mandos

I've also PM'd Adonian as he called first dibs on the screwup.
    Last edited by Saz.; Mar 23, 2009 at 6:52 AM.

From
    Mandalore,NC

sounds awsome vod, cant wait to see it, the screwup helm looked awsome to begin with i can only imagine what the final will look like

From
    Midlands UK

Hopefully perfect, that's what I am aiming for

From
    San Diego

I'm definately in for the screw up, I just gotta get some $$ first, but I am good for it, ask Boomer

From
    Midlands UK

Quick update now I have my new phone, apologies about the blurriness, it still has the protective film over the camera lens, that's because it's a Nokia 5800 (The Nokia equivalent of an I-phone) so I'm waiting for a scratch resistant cover for it, so, in the meantime, the film stays on. I don't want a scratched touchscreen!

Also, I haven't really done that much, as you know I have been suffering from flu, I have been bedridden for a few days in and out and haven't been up to any rigorous sanding.

But here's how far I've got.

As you can see the front is basically repaired, if you see where the T-visor is, you can see the troubles I had with the top layer of cardboard coming off.

The only part that needs doing is where a layer has come away on the left cheek near the ear.

As you can see I have been pretty busy with the car body filler and sand paper.

I have also test fitted the keyslots, this will be my next task when I am up to it of installing them and shaping them with filler.

I will also need to repair this earpiece as it got damaged too.

But on another note, I've started the RF.