Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Female_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Jul 28, 2008, 9:00 PM - Mando Armor! #1

    Alrighty, so I've finally begun steps in the right direction for the creation of my suit. It's taken me WAY too long to come up with some colors, but I think I've finally stumbled across something that I like.



    There are a couple of things missing, but the general idea of the suit is fairly well expressed in this. I'm not sure what I'm doing in regards to the rangefinder and 'ears' so I left them out for the time being. I want to do something different with them, but I still have no idea what exactly. Anywho, let me know what you guys think. I want as much feed back as I can get so that this thing turns out right .



    Edit: this picture is based off the drawing I origionally did in my avatar. Just using it for another purpose
    Last edited by Female_Fett; Jul 28, 2008 at 9:14 PM.
  2. Hasid's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    96
    Jul 28, 2008, 11:41 PM - Re: Mando Armor! #2

    Looks fantastic!
  3. Female_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Jul 29, 2008, 12:18 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #3

    Quote Hasid said: View Post
    Looks fantastic!
    Thanks ^.^
  4. Toragh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    360
    Jul 29, 2008, 2:24 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #4

    Wow, awesome design. Can't wait to see it up an running around
  5. Mojo-Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,783
    Jul 29, 2008, 2:58 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #5

    Very nice design FF...
    I'll look forward to seeing your progress 8)
  6. Female_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Jul 29, 2008, 3:28 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #6

    Thanks for the kind words! I'm still fiddling with the color scheme and once I feel 100% happy with it I'll start gathering supplies for my scratch build helmet ^.^


    Edit: Oh! Fast Question, anyone know about how far the red section of Boba's T sticks out from his helmet dome?
  7. Mojo-Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,783
    Jul 29, 2008, 3:39 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #7

    If you are refering to the Mandibles... something in the region of 2mm
  8. BREWZA's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    41
    Jul 29, 2008, 5:39 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #8

    Love the colours,

    Makes my orange and blue look a bit like circus tent
  9. Skupilkinson's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,397
    Jul 29, 2008, 9:02 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #9

    I like the colour scheme too! I'm all over the Custom section lately as I really want to try and create my own custom Mando gear.

    Looking forward to seeing more.
  10. Ijaat Ka'rta's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    214
    Jul 29, 2008, 9:27 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #10

    I like the design as well. The colors go well togeather also.
  11. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032
    Jul 29, 2008, 10:09 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #11

    Very nice choice of colors. Looks like your doing a great job on the start-up!
  12. Female_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Jul 29, 2008, 1:08 PM - Re: Mando Armor! #12

    Quote Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    If you are refering to the Mandibles... something in the region of 2mm
    Sweet! Thanks for the info. I'd been looking around and on the web and I couldn't really find anything about how far it stuck out. Looks like it's not that much at all. I've been drawing him incorrectly for years lol! I always drew it as though it stuck out like a cm or something :o.

    Quote BREWZA said: View Post
    Love the colours,

    Makes my orange and blue look a bit like circus tent
    Nothing wrong with orange and blue. If that's what you like then you go for it ^.^.

    Quote Skupilkinson said: View Post
    I like the colour scheme too! I'm all over the Custom section lately as I really want to try and create my own custom Mando gear.

    Looking forward to seeing more.
    I know what you mean in watching the customs. I'd been thinking about making armor for a year or so, but I never really got around to doing it. Finally I started looking online and now I'm convinced .

    Quote Ijaat Ka'rta said: View Post
    I like the design as well. The colors go well togeather also.
    Thanks! I had this color scheme in mind for a while, but I could never figure out what color to use as the suit and the armor detail with the green until just yesturday!

    Quote NovallTalon said: View Post
    Very nice choice of colors. Looks like your doing a great job on the start-up!
    I definately can't wait to get started on the helmet . Hopefully I'll have a few supplies for it pretty soon here. Oh and I loved your black and red femme-mando armor that you did .
  13. Female_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Aug 3, 2008, 8:14 AM - Re: Mando Armor! (Pictues now!... they're shoes... but shoes are awesome) #13

    Alrighty! So I've finally got some pictures ^.^

    .... yes... I know shoes... while it may not be THAT exciting atleast it's something .

    Sorry if the pictures are a tad icky, used my phone.

    So! These are what I'm planning on using:



    Initally I wasn't going to go for something with a heel, but I want to keep with the sort of feminine look that I wanted to do before. I'll eventually add an armor plate to the front in a similar manner to what Jango uses. I think what I'll end up doing is making something of a shin gaurd that will give the sense that these boots go further up my leg than they actually do. My whole thing is to make it feminine without making it outlandishly girly since you can't really do that with the earth tones I picked for my color scheme. The black boots work well in that sense. From the front they look all business, but from the side you can see the heel .

    Plus it'll make me look taller 8).
    Last edited by Female_Fett; Aug 3, 2008 at 3:04 PM.
  14. samlynn79's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    240
    Aug 3, 2008, 10:51 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #14

    Hah, those boots are a great idea. Given any thought to your choice of flight suit? The picture you drew has everything pretty close-fitting, so a flight suit would have to be tailored or taken in considerably. Of course, the other option would be to simply wear some tighter fitting clothing.

    But like everyone else, I like your choice of colors. Especially if you can pull off the thigh-rig that you have drawn, that looks pretty sweet.

    Best of luck to you in your work!
  15. Female_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Aug 3, 2008, 3:04 PM - Re: Mando Armor! #15

    Quote samlynn79 said: View Post
    Hah, those boots are a great idea. Given any thought to your choice of flight suit? The picture you drew has everything pretty close-fitting, so a flight suit would have to be tailored or taken in considerably. Of course, the other option would be to simply wear some tighter fitting clothing.

    But like everyone else, I like your choice of colors. Especially if you can pull off the thigh-rig that you have drawn, that looks pretty sweet.

    Best of luck to you in your work!

    Thanks for checking it out!

    Glad everyone likes the colors since I was thinking about tampering with it and dropping the tan, but since everyone seems to enjoy it I'll stick with it . As for the soft parts under the armor what I think I'm going to do is get something that's called a body-glove. The ones I've seen are sort of like cat-suits but they are made of a thicker material so they are tight and made out of a cotton material so they should look good under something like this. From there I'll do the flack vest and have that pretty snug, not sure what I'll make it out of but probably some kind of faux leather. What I want to do is use thinnish materials from there to give it a layered look without loosing the nice profile of a slim look. I'll use things like leg wraps and stuff of that sort. I think that the tight clothes will keep it looking "girlish" without loosing the badassery .

    As for the belt I hope I'm able to make it work. I know that even if I don't get it perfectly like that, that I'll be doing something that wraps around the thighs. I'll probably end up modifying a gun holster to get that 'garter belt' type look.

    I've also got a plan for the neck and cape thing that I have never seen done before that I'm really excited about. Don't want to show that off yet incase it doesn't work out, but if it does i have a feeling it'll be pretty sweet.

    Hopefully everything will turn out as planned. I'm new to this whole thing so I hope I'm not being too naive in my plans lol.
  16. goldenrod's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    456
    Aug 3, 2008, 8:39 PM - Re: Mando Armor! #16

    I like it
  17. Female_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Aug 5, 2008, 7:33 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #17

    Hey guys!

    I'm about ready to work on a paper version of my helmet before I order my sintra and all that goodness just to make sure that I can actually make this thing lol.

    I have a question though in regards to the t-visor on the helmets. I know that the mandibles don't stick out much (around 2mm from what I was told) What is the best way to make that work in a scratch built helmet? Should I just get the thicker sintra?
  18. Hasid's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    96
    Aug 5, 2008, 9:42 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #18

    Couldent you double up teh thickness by placing another piece over the other. glue them togeather then shape them.
  19. Stormrider's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,267
    Aug 5, 2008, 9:57 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #19

    No, heres the way it works.

    You have an 'under' layer. and then a 'details layer' when you build it from WOF.

    Once you glue the details over the 'under' the mandibles will be double thick.

    Because you actually cut out the 'tvisor' area when your done. and you put the real visor behind it. Therefore making it double thick in that section.

    The details in the reare will be half thickness, and the inner cuts of the visor will be double thick.
  20. Female_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Aug 5, 2008, 6:19 PM - Re: Mando Armor! #20

    Quote Stormrider said: View Post
    No, heres the way it works.

    You have an 'under' layer. and then a 'details layer' when you build it from WOF.

    Once you glue the details over the 'under' the mandibles will be double thick.

    Because you actually cut out the 'tvisor' area when your done. and you put the real visor behind it. Therefore making it double thick in that section.

    The details in the reare will be half thickness, and the inner cuts of the visor will be double thick.
    Oh ok, I think I got that then. When I do this would it be benificial or harmful to use thicker sintra? Or will it probably not even matter?
  21. samlynn79's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    240
    Aug 5, 2008, 10:13 PM - Re: Mando Armor! #21

    From there I'll do the flack vest and have that pretty snug, not sure what I'll make it out of but probably some kind of faux leather.
    Eeeeeh, I don't know about using faux leather. I had been planning on using the same for my vest, but Ladyserforus cautioned me against it, saying that faux leather material tends not to breathe at all. It's very hot, you tend to sweat alot more. Some kind of cloth would be much better for the flak vest. Again, that's just me, and what I was told by pretty much a flak vest expert.

  22. Stormrider's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,267
    Aug 5, 2008, 11:08 PM - Re: Mando Armor! #22

    Thicker sintra will mean more pronounced features.

    If you look at a bradley fett helmet, and a sgt fang thats the difference.

    The bradley fett has a real heavy ridge brow and thick face to add girth.

    The fang has very slim and thin features, as does the MR.

    Now, for a custom? Its up to your taste, id say the more pronounced or 'idealized' the better, but its all up to you.
  23. A'den Kyramud's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,337
    Aug 6, 2008, 12:53 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #23

    There's a great tutorial on sintra helmets...check out digifett's custom bucket (in the Boba Bucket section, second page, 'bout half way down). It's a really great tutorial on custom helmets. I'm working on mine, and that tutorial is a lifesaver!
  24. Female_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Aug 6, 2008, 2:12 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #24

    Quote samlynn79 said: View Post
    Eeeeeh, I don't know about using faux leather. I had been planning on using the same for my vest, but Ladyserforus cautioned me against it, saying that faux leather material tends not to breathe at all. It's very hot, you tend to sweat alot more. Some kind of cloth would be much better for the flak vest. Again, that's just me, and what I was told by pretty much a flak vest expert.

    Will do! Thanks for the advice, I'll be making it out of fabric then!

    Quote Stormrider said: View Post
    Thicker sintra will mean more pronounced features.

    If you look at a bradley fett helmet, and a sgt fang thats the difference.

    The bradley fett has a real heavy ridge brow and thick face to add girth.

    The fang has very slim and thin features, as does the MR.

    Now, for a custom? Its up to your taste, id say the more pronounced or 'idealized' the better, but its all up to you.
    sounds like thicker sintra is what i want to do then since I've been worried about the mandibles not sticking out enough, this'll make that no problem .

    Quote A'den Kyramud said: View Post
    There's a great tutorial on sintra helmets...check out digifett's custom bucket (in the Boba Bucket section, second page, 'bout half way down). It's a really great tutorial on custom helmets. I'm working on mine, and that tutorial is a lifesaver!
    Sweet! Heading that way now!





    Thanks for the imput guys! You're a bunch of lifesavers ^.^
  25. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032
    Aug 6, 2008, 6:51 AM - Re: Mando Armor! #25

    About the faux leather vests. I use one, and I'll definately get another one. Yes they are warmer then a cloth vest, but the key is to have it backed with cloth on the inside. This helps pull the moisture away from your body and gives it somewhere else to go other then just sit there. Also, you won't see sweat collecting on a faux leather vest like you do on a normal cloth vest...and you will sweat no matter what vest you use. Ladysewforus also made my vest to my specs that I gave her personally for max comfort and durability. It may cost a little more, but IMHO it looks MUCH better then cloth.

    Here's a collection of MANY helmet related tutorials from TDH and the Mercs site. This way you don't have to go chasing posts on so many different boards.

    Mercs Tutorial/Link Library

    Helmet Info Links

Similar Threads

  1. Help with first mando armor.(that is, cheap armor)
    By dav321 in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar 14, 2010, 10:48 PM
  2. My Mando Armor
    By Talon in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Oct 30, 2009, 3:19 PM
  3. first mando armor
    By Creon in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Sep 13, 2008, 11:17 AM
  4. My Mando Armor-WIP
    By Toragh in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: Jan 18, 2007, 7:28 PM
  5. my mando armor ish done! (almost)
    By aguma in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Sep 29, 2006, 10:33 PM