Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 9, 2010, 11:00 PM - Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #1

Haven't posted on here in a while, but I figured I would share a new little custom project I'm working on at the moment. May have it done in time for D*Con if the star align for me.

So what I set out to do was to create a mandalorian pilot, that would look like it belonged in the star wars universe. Looking at the way suits and components were reused in the original trilogy, how would that apply to a mando? I wanted the helmet to look like it had been made right along side the tie pilot, x-wing pilot, and at-at pilot helmets.

Here's my original sketch:

Helmet rotated and cropped:

After drawing this, I decided it should have the mohawk, because the flight helmet that was used for the star wars universe helmets had the ridge, so it would look more canon with it.

Little bit of bondo, epoxy putty, ren-shape foam, super glue, plastic, and spot glaze putty later, I've got this:

Plan is to add the hose attachments onto the back of the mowhawk, little bit like the ep II clone pilot helmets and bring the hoses over my shoulders to the chest box (which I still have to make )

Hope you all enjoy!
    Aug 9, 2010, 11:34 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #2

sick nasty. I've always loved the idea of a mando pilot and you're going down the right road with the helmet (stick an old vietnam pilot's helmet on top!). This'll be fun to watch
    Aug 10, 2010, 12:40 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #3

Very cool idea and great work! Can't wait to see more!
    Aug 10, 2010, 7:47 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #4

WHAT A COOL project. It already looks frickin' SWEET!!
    Aug 10, 2010, 9:32 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #5

STAY ON TARGET!!! STAY ON TARGET!!!

AWESOME! I really like the concept and I like the art even more. It has a real trilogy feel to it and I think Lucas would approve as well as that McQuary guy. I appreciate you sharing!
    Aug 17, 2010, 8:54 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #6

Little update. Main colors blocked in and details glued on. Just taped the visor in the helmet for these pics.

Aug 17, 2010, 11:36 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #7

looking good
    Aug 18, 2010, 12:34 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #8

I can't wait to see this baby weathered. Lookin great! Hope you get er done by Dcon. Good luck and keep it up!
    Aug 19, 2010, 3:53 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #9

I'm digging it all except for the back of the "mohawk". It kind of loses the flow a little bit. What if you did it something like this?

Maybe the addition of the hoses will even it out. Either way, it is a great design. It looks even better than in the sketch.
  10. Member Since
    May 2010
    Aug 19, 2010, 5:49 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #10

**** man you totaly beat me on this man...i was thinking about something similar but you came up with this cool...i hope the look catches on cause im going to do me one up like that for sure...just with my own twist on the mohawk...and with red insted of green^^ but anyways great work and great design
  11. Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Aug 19, 2010, 6:50 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #11

looks great man, and i'd have to say that is probably mirror what someone would be for a pilot. Definatly can't wait for the end result
  12. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Aug 20, 2010, 1:09 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #12

totally awesome
    Aug 20, 2010, 10:14 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #13

Out-shabla-standing, vod, as always.
    Aug 20, 2010, 10:25 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #14

MORE MORE MORE!!! Popcorn waiting on this!
    Aug 20, 2010, 7:18 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #15

Now that my friend, is an awsome piece of kit!
    I so wish 'they' would make a Star wars based on Mandolorians!
    Aug 20, 2010, 8:11 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #16

I'm liking this alot. Kinda reminds me of the SGB kit for converting a regular CT bucket into an AT-TE driver helmet.
  17. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Aug 21, 2010, 9:40 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #17

I would totally disagree on this. I see where you are coming from, but the design as is hearkens more to a very cool mixture of OT and PT with the current spine of the helmet being somewhat reminiscent to TIE or X-Wing helmets. If the OP added the clone style fin to the back of the helmet, it would place this helmet squarely in PT and in my opinion would begin to look so much like a clone that it wouldn't be easily distinguishable as something totally different. I think this is a very cool build!

Quote dung0beetle said: View Post
    I'm digging it all except for the back of the "mohawk". It kind of loses the flow a little bit. What if you did it something like this?

Maybe the addition of the hoses will even it out. Either way, it is a great design. It looks even better than in the sketch.
    Aug 21, 2010, 10:19 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #18

Thanks for the kind words and interest guys. I'm having fun creating this. The fin or mohawk is definitely designed to look like it belongs to the OT right next to the TIE pilots or X-Wing helmets. It'll have a little bit of PT clone pilot look to it with the hoses attaching to the back of the mowhawk. I'm definitely staying much more OT with it, even the markings I'm going to put on the helmet will be more OT and I'm also looking at my "Art of Star Wars: the Empire Strikes Back" book at the original Ralph McQuarrie and Joe Johnston sketches and using and being influenced by some of their insignia on the original boba fett sketches.

I promise more pics soon! I'm working as quickly as I can. I got in some blinking lights from a friend, so I'm going to finish up the build of the chest box. Tonight I'm going to put in hose placements on the helmet and start laying out some helmet insignia. more to come...
  19. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Aug 22, 2010, 1:19 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #19

Can't wait to see more pics,that helmets looking more and more awesome as it develops!
    Aug 23, 2010, 12:59 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #20

Here's a little update. got some symbols painted and pin striped onto the helmet. Again, visor is just taped in place. I also got the chest box built to the point of primer. Darn humid rainy weather slows down the already slow rustolleum primer I have. Anyway, pics!

Aug 23, 2010, 8:29 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #21

Wow, vod. That looks absolutely fantastic.
  22. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Aug 23, 2010, 10:59 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #22

Wow! Outstanding handiwork!

Yvette
    Aug 23, 2010, 1:44 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #23

I love it! I played around with drawings of the same idea but never came up with one I liked, but you hit the nail on the head. Good work.
    Aug 23, 2010, 9:16 PM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #24

wow nice job! maybe you should try to make a suit that carries some drink helmet, thatway, when your thirsty just take a sip of soda or whatever you want!
    Aug 28, 2010, 12:41 AM - Re: Mandalorian Pilot- **big pics!** #25

This is great! How is it progressing?