Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP

Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP

Excellent sculpt! Kepp the progress pics coming.

Alan

From
    Knoxville Tenn.

Wow David, you're like some building mad-man, fool! I pitty the foo' that doesn't eat my cereal or doesn't think this is a kick-butt project! :thumbup

From
    Watford, England

Nice, love your work so far..... keep the updates coming...

From
    Boerne, Texas, United States

I have to be honest. I never liked these helmets until I saw the work you are doing. Keep up the excellent work!

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Excellent work! Keep the progress coming

From
    What? I have a location?

I love the DW helms! That is so sweet! Man...where did you get your cardboard skills?

From
    Titusville, FL

Keep it up, dude!

From
    Selfoss, Ísland.

I'm really inspired by this, and might actually try out my skills on cardboards for one or two parts of my body armour. But that raises a question, is it possible to make moulds from cardboards? Or would it need to be made in fibreglass first?

Thanks.

From
    Las Vegas

Looking forward to the finished product.

From
    West Coast, USA

When I saw this thread, I thought a death watch helmet this looks dumb but you are doing such a great job I cant wait to see the final.
    Keep up the god work

From
    Huntsville, AL (Rocket City, USA)

Sorry to necropost, but I thought it'd be best just to keep this thread updated.

Over the past few days, I fiberglassed the helmet's exterior. I still need to sand down all the rough edges and give it a once-over with my power sander, but that will come in the next few days. I'm currently out of school for my Christmas vacation, so I hope to get some notable work done on this helmet by the time I head back to classes. By the way, the plan is still to do casts of this helmet, and depending on what kind of money I get for Christmas, I may get to mold it up sooner than expected, but I'm not going to rush into that by any means. It'll be my first full-helmet, two-part mold, so I want to do it right.

Super commandos beware. The Death Watch are coming!

very cool, cannot wait for it man

you're doing an awesome job!

-Naas

looks fantastic!

From

Just wanted to show off one last group of progress photos before the Bondo stage. NOW I'm actually ready for Bondo. I sanded the entire helmet off, grinding down all of the bumps and rough spots, and roughing up all the smooth spots to make a nice surface for the Bondo to adhere to. Tomorrow morning I should be able to begin the Bondo stage.

Here's a photo of how this helmet fits on a 5'8" 190lbs body. I was really worried that this helmet would be too big for my body type, but the nature of the helmet is misleading. The actual core helmet is a nice fit, it just has chunky parts sticking off of it, creating the illusion of being bigger than needed. But it actually looks really good for my body type, so I'm very happy with how it's turning out.

Now this back part I'm going to do up like a standard Super Commando helmet. That raised box on the back will have a recessed "keyhole" part that's on Boba's helmet, although of a slightly different design.

From

I got about 5 hours of work in on the helmet today. By the end of the day, the helmet has been covered in Bondo. I'm gonna let it sit over night and fully cure and get rock hard, and tomorrow I'm gonna start sanding away. It's still going to need a lot more Bondo work, but this is just the first Bondo stage.

I needed to build up this ridge some more, so I used some plastic tubes to fill up space while I Bondoed around them.

I also started the horns today. They're mostly done, actually. I just have to smooth them out with some wood filler and prime them.

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Wow!! Very good! I'm incredibly impressed with the horns you made for it. Great workmanship with the wood there!

From
    Titusville, FL

Wow. That's impressive!

I want one of those sanders!

David.

From
    Selfoss, Ísland.

This is one of the greatest things I've seen on these forums, really accurate - especially for a paper sculpture.

Will you be making more than one copy when done?

From
    Corellia

Thats so cool! Are you going to color it the same
    colors like on your picture?

I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    From
    San Diego, CA

Really good job on the helmet man. However you dont really have to wait overnight for bondo to cure. If you added the right amount of hardener it should fully cure in less than 2 hours.

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

I'd still wait overnight. Sometimes when it "cures," it still has a bit of a sticky feeling to it.

From
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Berry Nyce, I look forward to this one!

From

Ok, I have some questions to answer!

Sarim Thiri: I will indeed be making copies, as previously mentioned in the thread. This cardboard/fiberglass/bondo mockup will be wearable for myself, but I'm actually making it to be my first helmet mold and will be molding it before I paint it. I'm going to make a rubber mold of it and then do resin copies. I'm looking at using rotocast or something like that for simplicity and for experimentation with materials. The nature of the helmet would prevent easy access to key areas for fiberglassing, but it could be done after the fact I suppose. I want to make the casting process as easy on my end as possible, as I do intend to sell copies in small quantities. The plan is to sell copies as kits, with the helmet pulled right out of the mold with the edges cleaned up, and the horns cast in resin as separate pieces.

Montatora Viroria: I haven't decided what scheme to color it. I want to keep it "accurate" to the source materials, but I do have some options. There is the lighter olive drab and yellow/gold that looks very nice, but then there is the darker black version which just looks plain menacing. I think I'd like to do the black version though, but I'd do extensive weathering on it, like the Boba helmets.

987654321a: I have extensive experience in working with Bondo, and that's actually one of the best qualities of it - the cure time is pretty fast. However, because of the extensive surface area covered, I wanted to give it as much time as it needed, especially since we were going through a humid/rainy period. I also really just didn't want to rush too much with it.

Here's my final progress for the evening. I got the visor cut out and sanded smoothish. I also carved out those horizontal lines at the sides of the visor area. The lineart has those lines coming directly out of the visor, but I decided to give a little 1/4" space between the visor and the line. The line was carved out with the router bit on my dremel turned on it's side.

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Well congratulations for being the first to really take this project to the next level I really didn't know what to expect when you started, but your skill is amazing

From
    Dighton, MA

Amazing and inspirational work. Just curious though. I'm not familiar with the comic your using for a source. The only Death Watch I was aware of up to this was the Star Wars Galaxies Death Watch in the DWB. Looks great.