Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 5, 2007, 5:58 PM - Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #1

So I had a whole post all typed out, and just before I posted it, my browser crashed. So I'm just gonna post the gist of it.

I'm scratch building a Mandalorian Death Watch helmet out of cardboard, fiberglass, and bondo. I used the same method to build a Coruscant Guard helmet, and that can be seen over at the Special Ops detachment.

I'm having to use some artistic liberty in the design in order to make some lines work. I'm also filling in some of the detail gaps, and I'm drawing from the Super Commando helmet to add some of the more finer details (that will come later on, though).

Anyways, I'm only at the cardboard stage. By now I would have finished the cardboard stage to the Coruscant Guard helmet, but this is such a far more complex design that this stage is taking a while.

I DO plan on casting this and selling copies once I'm finished with it. But please understand, that won't happen for a while. I estimate that it will be way into next year before I get to that stage. I plan on taking my time with this helmet because I have a lot of school work to focus on.
    Oct 5, 2007, 6:56 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #2

Looks cool! Very encouraging first set of pictures! Keep up with it!
  3. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 5, 2007, 7:58 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #3

Doing a good job!!
    Oct 5, 2007, 8:02 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #4

That's awesome; can't wait to see the next stage!
    Oct 5, 2007, 8:17 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #5

why not try making ur prototype out of sintra? at least then you could wear it to. but that looks amazing looks just like the death watch helmet.
    Oct 5, 2007, 9:16 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #6

Quote lowki13 said: View Post
    why not try making ur prototype out of sintra? at least then you could wear it to. but that looks amazing looks just like the death watch helmet.
    Accually all that needs to be done after the cardboard mock-up is to paint it with fiberglass resin and sand it out. You will have a light-weight rigid mask. Not super strong but definetly wearable. Nice work Keep at it.
    MS
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Oct 5, 2007, 10:34 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #7

Very nice DW helmet prototype!
    Oct 5, 2007, 10:52 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #8

That is comeing along really well.

Exactly what kind of cardboard are you using. I tryed to make mockups out of some cardboard and I couldn't get a good bend in the pices.
    Oct 6, 2007, 2:22 AM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #9

Lowki, the purpose of doing it this way is as follows: The cardboard step allows me a cheap and easy means to produce the accurate form I'm wanting to make. The fiberglass step provides the strength and a surface for the Bondo to adhere to. The Bondo (once sanded) provides my smooth surface and a sculpt-able surface. Sintra is far too expensive for my needs, and frankly, its not as easily manipulated as these materials.

Marrowsun, I'm actually doing two more steps than just fiberglass resin. I'm doing a full-out fiberglass process. Resin and actual fiberglass. Fiberglass resin isn't too strong by itself, but that's because it's meant to be used in unison with fiberglass mat or fiberglass cloth. That's what gives you the actual strength. The previous helmet I made with this process is just as strong as any other fiberglass helmet out there because i used fiberglass mat. Anyways, after the fiberglass goes on, I'm gonna cover it in Bondo and smooth that out. The Bondo allows me to easily sculpt on details, and it's certainly a lot more friendly to my skin. Once I cover up that fiberglass, no more itchy.

Z, The cardboard I'm using is just regular corrugated cardboard. I just cut up cardboard boxes that I find (freebies). In order to get good bends in it, three things are required: something for a roller (I have a thick cardboard tube), your hands, and patience. Simple one-direction curves can be attained by rolling it over a thick tube. Complex curves require some time and effort. Basically you just knead it into shape.
    Oct 6, 2007, 2:41 AM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #10

ahh didn't realize sintra was dificult to work with im starting a gundam helmet out of carboard to eventually use sintra on. but then again i am using and old motorcycle helmet for the dome portion. well it looks good either way.
    Oct 7, 2007, 12:55 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #11

I love the death watch, great to see that others do as well Good job!
    Oct 7, 2007, 1:10 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #12

Finished the dome to the helmet, and thus finished the cardboard stage to the helmet. Any more shape work will be done in the Bondo stage after I do the fiberglass. I don't expect to start the fiberglass stage for a while, so this thread might lay dormant for a few days or weeks before I pick it up again.

The dome was made by making some cross sections and placing pie slice shapes in:

Now, for the purposes of fiberglassing, I'm covering up the visor area. This will allow me to fiberglass over the whole area so that it maintains it's shape during the fiberglass process. Then I can cut out the entire visor and it will hold it's shape.

Oct 7, 2007, 2:10 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #13

very good work!
    Oct 7, 2007, 2:18 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #14

look interesting, can't wait to see how it all turns out
    Oct 7, 2007, 11:45 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #15

I said I'd never build a scratchbuilt helmet again, but this one is making my fingers itch......looking good!
    Rob
    Oct 8, 2007, 4:07 AM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #16

This looks awesome! Can't wait to see it done!

PS- is awsome really spelled awesome? because my browser (Firefox) underlines incorrectly spelled words, and when spelled awsome, it gets underlined =X
    Oct 8, 2007, 8:03 AM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #17

Awesome is spelled awesome.

Looks great! Sure look forward to see this finished. Are you doing the "wings" separately?
    Oct 8, 2007, 8:17 AM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #18

Looking good so far!
    Oct 8, 2007, 12:45 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #19

Looking great so far... can't wait to see how this turns out?
    Oct 8, 2007, 10:07 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #20

Make sure you explane how your going about covering that in fiberglass. I am really wanting to start on a custom helmet. It would be nice to make it in fiberglass.
    Oct 9, 2007, 11:10 AM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #21

David,

That looks like a fantastic template! I can`t wait to see it after the fiberglassing.

And I`m curious as well to see how you will achieve the "wings" on the top of the helmet.

Keep up the progress pics.
  22. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Oct 9, 2007, 11:51 AM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #22

Cant wait to see the results and will definitely try and get one when you are selling them
    Oct 9, 2007, 5:41 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #23

wow dude that looks pretty boss and i havent seen anyone at the conventions with a decent one
    Oct 9, 2007, 6:19 PM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #24

I'm officialy jealous! I love it bro, keep up the excellent work, I'm looking foreward to your progress.
    Oct 11, 2007, 9:19 AM - Re: Mandalorian Death Watch helmet WIP #25

Very cool! Looking forward to the finished product.