Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Mand'alor the Uniter. V3.0

From
    Wales, UK

Re: Mand'alor the Uniter. V3.0

Thanks again NT. I think I'll need to follow threads like this even closer.

From
    The miserable mill

metal jet packs....brilliant

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

Welp, after ALOT of thought...I had an epiphany yesterday as to how I was going to make my canisters. One thing that IMHO is a big difference when working with metal in regards to plastic or cardboard is that there really isn't much room for measurement problems. Many times for the smaller parts I have to fly by the seat of my pants and measure as I go so that everything fits perfectly...I mean this is metal, you can't just take a heat gun to it.

So I had some problems with the original canister templates that came with Skips jango templates, they were just to big for the wholes I had. Lastnight at my girlfriend's place...I had a light bulb go off in my head. Monster energy drink cans!!! The big ones with the twist tops, they should be about the perfect size, and if not the aluminum is thin enough to easily manipulate so that there's no damage to either the base or the can.

So, not only do I have my canisters now...but with the screw-off tops I now have a nice way to take the nozzles and cones off the pack for storage/travel. Pretty nifty eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00090-jpg  

From
    Mississippi

Thats our Mandalor, Always flying by the seat of his pants.LOL

Great work Boss, I'll have to save up for a set when you start makeing them.
    Will follow this with interest....... I need a jet pack for my next build.

From
    Wales, UK

Great!! Nice idea too with the nozzles and cones. You tried my templates for this? Thanks for giving them a go buddy? Are mine or Alans templates being used for the main pack build?? Or are you going from scratch?

From
    Yadkinville NC

I used your jango templates for the main pack build Skip.

From
    Wales, UK

WOW! Thanks for the vote of confidence buddy! I appreciate it. I was super interested in this before but now I think I'll be sat here hitting F5 every 5 seconds to check for updates! LOL!

I'm really pleased they're working out for you boss.

From
    Yadkinville NC

They work great!

I'll be using your templates for my helmet base also to see how those work.

this is shaping up really really well. I love that feeling when you've been working on a problem for your costume and the answer just comes out of nowhere

From
    Yadkinville NC

Apollo said: View Post
    this is shaping up really really well. I love that feeling when you've been working on a problem for your costume and the answer just comes out of nowhere

Well, the tank problem was really a very annoying problem because I knew at first that a normal can may not be strong enough to hold a cone...especially when high pressure gas is coming out of it. Those Monster drink cans are pretty stout on the top, and the twist off lids are solid aluminum. So I can basically build the rocket cone around that and go from there.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'll post more pics as I make'em. I'm cutting out helmet patterns now. =D

Lookin good Novall.I used cans for mine as well.Not monster, but they are very similar.

From
    Yadkinville NC

I just like how the screw tops make it easy to break down the exposed parts for packing. Since this thing will be making many jaunts around the country...I need to make sure it stores better than my last one.

My problem right now is figuring out how I'm going to do the thruster cones. I have an actual dismantled RPG that will be used to make the rocket (either I'll use it to make a CC rocket or if it's not to heavy I'll just use it.)...so no worries with the top. Just the thrusters that have me stumped currently.

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Monster drink cans...brilliant!!!

We are not worthy:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

This is amazing!!! Keep it up!!!

From
    Yadkinville NC

I'll be posting some pictures of the thrusters tonight. I've had to make them out of 2 halves, roll and dish the proper curve into them. Each half was put together using a brace of steel on the inside of each seam. Currently I have JBweld hardening over the seams so I can sand it down flush. Now I just gotta worry about connecting them so the gas tubing fits up to'em.

From
    Wales, UK

Looking forward to it NT! I'd love to try something like this next year sometime.

From
    Yadkinville NC

Nozzles put together. I have to seal the top where the cone meats the attachment ring (they are removable for transport) with some JBweld, but all in all I think they came out great for something non-machined and hand curled/dished. I don't have any of the armoring hammers you would use to make fingers for gauntlets...so it was a pain getting these things rounded.

Now I'll be moving on to getting the top parts done before installing the gas kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00097-jpg  

From
    North Carolina

NovallTalon said: View Post
    Nozzles put together. I have to seal the top where the cone meats the attachment ring (they are removable for transport) with some JBweld, but all in all I think they came out great for something non-machined and hand curled/dished. I don't have any of the armoring hammers you would use to make fingers for gauntlets...so it was a pain getting these things rounded.

Now I'll be moving on to getting the top parts done before installing the gas kit.

Looks terrible. I'll pick it for disposal at ShevaCon.

Charlie

From
    Yadkinville NC

charlie said: View Post
    Looks terrible. I'll pick it for disposal at ShevaCon.

Charlie
    No dinner with Jeremy for you!!!

From
    Wales, UK

Wow! Looks amazing NT! You're doing an awesome job here bro!

From
    Yadkinville NC

She's almost done! Will be adding the guts soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00098-jpg  

From
    Wales, UK

A thing of beauty buddy! Wanna give it to me?? LOL!

From
    Yadkinville NC

Here is an updated shot of the pack.

Most of the outside work is done at this point (except the missile). The two air to air missiles on the pack are magnetically attached, so I can pop them on and off for transport. The turbo intakes (the cones at the top of the tanks) were made outta leftover jango pistol heads, some balsa wood (as a skeleton for the bondo) and bondo. There is a very very tiny amount of bondo glass used on this pack, most of which was covered with JB weld to add strength. The access panel on the inside surface is also magnetically closed..used alot of magnets since this is a mostly steel item.

On the bottom between the thrusters is a control box that will show when the pack is powered on, and when I hit the button to charge the CO2 system.

And of course here is a picture of whats done on my new armor currently. This is all 14gu aluminum, hand hammered and smoothed. The shoulder bells are done but not pictured at present. Left plate as a little more curve to accommodate the chest display electronics.

And this is a new set of armor I've made for my girlfriend. 22gu steel, hand dished/planished.

I made this much in about a week, and it will fit a B cup...so hopefully at some future date I can actually make this for lady mandos. Female armor is infinately harder than male armor because it is absolutely necessary to have either:

A) the girl on hand for fittings, or
    B) a well made tape cast of the upper body for fitting.

From
    Mandalore,NC

you are a master of the metal NT, and an inspiration...literally...my friend just saw this thread and said " dude we can do that!" lol i may need to knock some sense into him

From
    If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Nice. A beautiful build. Your work is magnificent.

From
    Yadkinville NC

Thanks guys! It gets easier over time, but it's never *that* easy. The JP I've been working on since December, but now I gotta start devoting more time to getting the armor done. Need it ready by mid-April if I have any chance of putting together a metal helmet in time for SDCC.