Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    May 5, 2008, 6:44 AM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #126

I really like your designs. You have a really good feel for the character and colors you choose work nicely together.
    I haven't done much in way of original mando designs myself. But i did come up with my interpertation of Kal Skirata.
    I'm saving it till i get extra helmet to try it on.
    Looking at your first drawing i would go with a jumpsuit. Your design would work better with a form fitting shirt, maybe thicker material and maybe a cargo style pants??
    Experiment with different clothes matching your colors in your design. I say formfitting shirt because of your chest armor. Think about Zam Wessel form fitting outfit. The chest armor is not laying on a baggy top.

Theres no rule saying you have to wear a jumpsuit.

Keep up the great work Hydra.
    Last edited by goldenrod; May 5, 2008 at 6:53 AM.
    May 5, 2008, 10:07 AM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #127

IT'S ALIVE!

Glad to see you back at it
    May 5, 2008, 10:23 AM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #128

Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    ... but i've said this before in another femando's thread that a one piece flight suit may not be the best, logistically speaking, for a woman.
    Actually I was thinking about this, I was thinking of installing a flap or actually splitting the suit in two, but installing a snap system to keep it "whole".
    Thanks for the sewing pattern link! I've been looking all over something like that, modifying patterns is alot easier then modifying a larger men's premade.

What I have planned for the over all material, is, kind of like a stretch denim or a similar material and making it a little tight fitting, but towards the chest area, changing the material over to some sort of stretch knit blend. (Kind of a band around the chest, like a boob tube.)
    Then for the flak "vest" I'll be using a pattern for a woman's "lined vest" that'll fit pretty tight (the curvatures), kind of like a corset.
    May 5, 2008, 11:28 AM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #129

great to see this on the road again...i cant wait to see this come to fruition! looks great so far...i may have missed this but what did you make those chaest pieces out of?...cause im working on some femme armour for a friend of mine and so far all of my attempts have been terable
    May 5, 2008, 1:09 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #130

well i'd certianlly woudl like to be honored with one of your designs to bring into the metal shop and make another female fando.
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    May 5, 2008, 1:40 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #131

Hey Hydra, your designs are AWESOME.

We've got a female member over at Mercs who is doing a 2 piece flight suit for herself. Here's the link:

Verdaera's Soft Schtuffs

That may give you some good ideas on where you want to go with your 2 piece. Seriously look forward to seeing this done.
    May 5, 2008, 2:18 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #132

NovallTalon,

This is exactly what i was suggesting to Hydra. This 2 piece formfiting top/bottom will bring out the female look i was picturing. But at the same time it maintains that dangerous mando edge.

-Michael
  8. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    May 5, 2008, 2:40 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #133

The coolest thing about this 2 piece is that she's pulling it off to make it look JUST like a 1 piece. Like another poster above stated, lets face it...ladies just can't drop and go any time in a 1 piece, and there is just no way to make mando armor that accessible and keep it looking fierce like it should.

Women doing custom armor really should think about this as an alternative to the full flight suit. With a girth and ammo belt, nobody would know the difference.
    May 5, 2008, 7:11 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #134

Awesome! Sweet progress, can't wait to see it all finished!

-Naas
    May 9, 2008, 8:14 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #135

Got the rough draft of my flack vest done! Spent the last couple of nights tailoring it, which was considerably hard (not having a dressform sucks). It's sleeveless because of "shawl" type piece that'll go over the shoulders.
    Now to transfer the pattern to some faux leather!

May 9, 2008, 9:54 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #136

Hydra i think its gonna look cool once it finished.
    What color is it gonna be?
    May 9, 2008, 11:32 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #137

The vest will be that chocolate brown color, hopefully I can find a nice soft pleather, no pattern on it...

Also, I'm putting the final touches on a few designs I'll be able to give away, for real this time, haha, 3 male and 2 female.
  13. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    May 10, 2008, 6:33 AM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #138

Not bad at all! Gotta love having to hand tailor parts, it's always enough to make you wanna choke something at times. =)
    May 12, 2008, 11:00 AM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #139

Looking great! Nice to see you can get back on to your project! Try JoAnns or Hancock Fabrics for patterns. You could also PM SEEKER. His Jango is a 2-piece. You could also check some of the Dance Costuming companies, Curtain Call is a good one, they have alot of generic costumes that can be used as a base.

Keep up the great work!

Geo
    May 12, 2008, 5:08 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #140

Hydra I think you've overcome one of the toughest obstacles on making a costume: keeping it rolling after the initial enthusiasm wears off.

Looks great! If you decide to go with a jumpsuit, I bought one fairly cheap on Flea-bay. Keep up the good work.
    May 12, 2008, 8:16 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #141

Great concept and very nice design work!! This should be a kickass costume when it all comes together. Nice going
    May 12, 2008, 8:41 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #142

WOW, now this is a custom I want to see done...

Very sweet design. :thumbup

And as for a helmet.... YOU have some skillz so i say custom helmet is needed.
    May 13, 2008, 2:37 AM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #143

Kandosii stuff nervod! pm sent.
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 Prudii Solu's Avatar
    May 13, 2008, 3:07 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #144

Can't wait to see it when it's done! Will you be attending any conventions in the near future in it?
    May 13, 2008, 5:57 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #145

Thanks guys! I'm currently going for a flight suit on eBay (probably a men's small), figure I'll chop it at the waist and modify a zipper or snaps for easy bathroom accessibility haha. I also want to hem it so I get a very form fitting... fit.

As for conventions, jeez. I reeeeally wish I could make it to both Comic Con and Dragon Con, but that kind of money is a little far out of reach. Dragon Con's price tag is a little more realistic, but I have a niece being born early august (travel to Utah), two weddings mid and late august (travel to Kansas), and college starting back up the first week of Sept. Though Aug 30th is my boyfriend's birthday, and he lives in NC, so I'm figuring I'd go for a visit and we can drive to Dragon Con. Oh wow, rambling! So um... yes, I hope to make it to at least DC. I'd love to meet some of you guys and have this custom done too!
    Last edited by Hydra; May 13, 2008 at 6:14 PM.
    May 14, 2008, 2:11 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #146

Fun schedule, hope you get good gas mileage.
    May 14, 2008, 2:14 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #147

Quote Hydra said: View Post
    Aug 30th is my boyfriend's birthday, and he lives in NC,
    Where abouts in NC is he at? Is he into the whole Star Wars costuming too?
    I'm around Raleigh, the capital; it'd be cool to meet up and trade ideas/share progress.
    May 14, 2008, 3:35 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #148

Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Where abouts in NC is he at? Is he into the whole Star Wars costuming too?
    I'm around Raleigh, the capital; it'd be cool to meet up and trade ideas/share progress.
    He lives in Raleigh/Durham! He's not totally into costuming... not as much as I'd like him to be, not yet. But I'm starting a Darth Nihilus for him and he's super excited about it. (Eventually hope to do a clone and a mando for him too.)
    It'd be awesome to meet up! I understand there's quite a few mando enthusiasts in NC, it'd be great to get all together.
    May 14, 2008, 3:40 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #149

Wow thats awesome. He's not into costuming (yet) but I take it he likes KotOR and other EU stuff?
    You'd better make a progress thread with that Nihilus costume!
    And yeah, theres at least 4 TDH members (that I know of) within a 50 mile radius of where I'm at
    May 14, 2008, 3:51 PM - Re: Lizean Akai - Custom Fem'mando (Concept Pics) #150

Awesome, I'm going to being spending 2 years in the Raleigh area for my church. Maybe I'll run into you guys! That would be sweet!