Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 20, 2009, 12:48 PM - I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #1

well i have a helmet that needs to be painted in a week and i picked up masking fluid.. before i use it i want to make sure it the right stuff

sorry for how blurry the pic is, but is this the right stuff? Thanks

p.s. any responses asap would be greatly appreciated! i need to get started today!
  2. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Dec 20, 2009, 1:07 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #2

That's what I use.
    Dec 20, 2009, 1:33 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #3

thanks! it must be good then cause your work is amazing btw
    Dec 20, 2009, 5:16 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #4

Masking fluid is just latex in a smaller bottle and a bigger price tag
  5. Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Dec 20, 2009, 5:22 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #5

can someone send me some pep files please
  6. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Dec 20, 2009, 7:12 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #6

make your own post there max
    Dec 20, 2009, 10:04 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #7

thanks guys... and since this thread has already been made... whats the best way to use this stuff? do i just brush it on were i need it and then paint, then peel it off?
    Dec 20, 2009, 10:35 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #8

yellow mustard + paintbrush = cheap non-toxic masking fluid that tastes great on hot dogs.
  9. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Dec 20, 2009, 11:29 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #9

Alpha-2 said: View Post
    thanks guys... and since this thread has already been made... whats the best way to use this stuff? do i just brush it on were i need it and then paint, then peel it off?
    yep.
    Dec 21, 2009, 3:49 AM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #10

same stuff i got vod =p
    Dec 21, 2009, 10:46 AM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #11

You don't have to buy "real" masking fluid. I used mustard for some of my parts and you can also use tooth paste or similar.
  12. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Dec 21, 2009, 10:47 AM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #12

Mustard stains.
    Dec 21, 2009, 12:40 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #13

ok i was ready to go and when i opened it (after shaking) it was hard and squishy, but i couldnt pierce it... not sure what to do
  14. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Dec 21, 2009, 12:53 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #14

must have had a loose cap
    sounds like it has dried out, need to pick up another I'm afraid.
    Dec 21, 2009, 1:35 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #15

well that really sucks... it was the last one micheals had :/ maybe this wont get done for christmas, i dont really feel like using mustard or toothpaste
    Dec 21, 2009, 5:44 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #16

If you can find some latex, it's the same stuff
    Dec 21, 2009, 9:07 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #17

yeah , that happen to me i left it in the garage in the summer and when i went to use it well it was harden , the best thing to do is to keep it in your basement if u have one
    Dec 21, 2009, 10:14 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #18

hmmm might see if i can find any latex, where would i be able to get that?
    Dec 22, 2009, 8:45 AM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #19

slave1pilot said: View Post
    Mustard stains.
    I used mustard and it worked quite well for me.no mustard stains and no hot dog smells it depends HOW you use it and HOW much of it. And as a fact: after weathering and black washing you won't see if it was done with mustard/tooth paste or with more expensive "original" masking fluid. Or long said short: It doesn't really matter WHAT you use, but HOW. But that's my personal experience
  20. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Dec 22, 2009, 11:27 AM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #20

Ok.
    I guess I'm either wrong or not doing it right.
    What a noob i am.
  21. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Dec 22, 2009, 11:38 AM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #21

Mustard does have a much higher rate of staining resin and fiberglass pieces. Not so much a worry on sintra or plastics. Toothpaste is probably the cheapest medium to go with.

Honestly, masking fluid gives you more natural looking lines to your weathering...and it goes a very very long way. So you may think it's a costly buy, but it's well worth every penny.
    Dec 22, 2009, 12:40 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #22

slave1pilot said: View Post
    Ok.
    I guess I'm either wrong or not doing it right.
    What a noob i am.
    I think,that no one called anyone a noob. That's why I said, that these were MY PERSONAL experiences. And as Novall said,it also depends on the material that you use for your armor parts. I used 2mm PP plastics and other materials may end in different results.
  23. slave1pilot is offline slave1pilot
    Dec 22, 2009, 12:58 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #23

Kezz said: View Post
    I think,that no one called anyone a noob. That's why I said, that these were MY PERSONAL experiences. And as Novall said,it also depends on the material that you use for your armor parts. I used 2mm PP plastics and other materials may end in different results.
    The implication was made that if I am experiencing some staining from mustard, it would be because I was either using too much or using it incorrectly.
    You stated "It doesn't really matter WHAT you use, but HOW."
    That statement would lead me to believe that I am doing it incorrectly.
    I have used mustard before. I experienced staining of the actual paint, not the material itself.

When I called myself a "noob", it was said tongue-in-cheek, since obviuosly I am not. I have painted one or two items in the past and was trying to be the voice of experience. I was not saying that you called me a "noob"

Everyone can feel free to use whatever "masking medium" you desire. If you wanna use toothpaste, mustard, mayonaise, hair gel, elmers glue, mucous, or even dog vomit, that would be your choice. But if someone comes into this forum and asks "what the right masking fluid is", I'm going to tell them to use actual masking fluid.
    Dec 22, 2009, 2:09 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #24

hey alpha when i'm working on painting my aircraft i use silly putty to mask it you should try that. I sticks ans its easy to work w/. I guess you could also try play do.
    Dec 22, 2009, 3:02 PM - Re: I need to know what the right masking fluid is!! #25

So Alpha, I can't make out in the pic who makes the stuff... could you provide that please? And you found it at Michael's craft store?
    Thanks for the info. Please let us know how it goes... there are several of us first-timers who are going to be painting very soon methinks. Not that you are a first-timer. I am the first-timer. Oy vey...
    Good luck with your project!