Subscribe
    Apr 15, 2009, 11:33 PM - Helmet clip thingy #1

Hi vode,

I'm having trouble with my helmet. In Triple Zero, Ka'buir says that Ordo clips his helmet to his belt. Well, I want to clip my helmet to my belt! and I cant find a way to get it to clip on, while being secure and steady, and still being (relatively) easy to remove. Any idea? Pictures of ideas? ANYTHING?!?!? I have banged my helmeted head against a wall for a week trying to think of something...
    Anyways, all help is welcome! even if it is just telling me I'm crazy and to leave my helmet on...

Thanks ner'vode!

A'den
    Apr 16, 2009, 12:40 AM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #2

Lol, A'den, don't hurt yourself.

Have you thought about taking like a thick strap and hooking it your belt? The strap would be attached to the bucket( in a way you could tuck it in to remain unseen) then you use metal hooking system of some sort to hang the helmet from. It wouldn't be tight tight and unmoving, but it'd be hooked on. Maybe that sparked and idea?
  3. Apr 16, 2009, 12:59 AM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #3

did his helmet have a chin strap? you could hang a small clasp from your belt and attach it to the chin strap.
    maybe?
    Apr 16, 2009, 4:34 AM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #4

The best thing I've thought of so far is a bit of 3/4" webbing with a hook looped and sewn onto the end that is anchored up behind the rear padding in the helmet. Pull it out and hook it onto a concealed metal ring up behind the bottom edge of the belt. It would have to be a longer webbing strap for Clonetrooper helmets, as those have the recurve under toward the neck that Mando buckets don't...

One alternative I thought of along the way was to have a ring anchored right inside the back edge of the helmet that could be flipped up under the padding when being worn. This would clip onto one of those spring-hook belt thingies that you can find for keyrings. Like this.

Hopefully, those will inspire some tinkering.

--Jonah
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Apr 16, 2009, 6:50 AM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #5

A'den, PM Cer'jo Aclos over at Mercs and ask how he did his belt clip. He did this exact same thing to his helmet, and clips it on his belt when he isn't wearing it. Its pretty sweet lookin.
  6. Formely Jaing Skirata A'den Skirata's Avatar
    Apr 16, 2009, 10:40 AM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #6

Hey A'den,

Yes, Cer'jo has a post up on the Mercs site about it. Basically, he screwed a "D" ring into the helmet and put a hook on his belt. I just rigged one up for mine as well which is constructed slightly differently but it's the same concept.
    Apr 17, 2009, 2:51 PM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #7

Ok...thanks vode!!! I'm gonna give that d-ring another shot and see if it works...I'll update this post with pics once I'm done...
    Apr 17, 2009, 2:56 PM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #8

I would suggest a chinstrap with a small snap buckle similar to the ones used on paintball masks or our issue kevlar buckets, with the snap off to the side so that you don't have the buckle rubbing your chin raw or pinching your neck. Then, when you're not wearing it, you can snap the strap around your belt... we did this a lot with our helmets during exercises and it worked out quite well.

Kal'ika
    Apr 30, 2009, 4:38 PM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #9

Quote A'den Skirata said: View Post
    Hey A'den,

Yes, Cer'jo has a post up on the Mercs site about it. Basically, he screwed a "D" ring into the helmet and put a hook on his belt. I just rigged one up for mine as well which is constructed slightly differently but it's the same concept.

Can anyone post a pic, I like this idea, and I will admit I am a little lazy right now to go looking for it elsewhere
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Apr 30, 2009, 10:09 PM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #10

*** would it be possible to connect a metal plate yo your helmet and use a magnet in your belt to keep it there i tried it with an entertainment center cabinet lock thing and it stays horizontal on my belt it is amazing highly recommend it just make sure the belt is tight
  11. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Apr 30, 2009, 10:24 PM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #11

Quote Carb-1 said: View Post
    *** would it be possible to connect a metal plate yo your helmet and use a magnet in your belt to keep it there i tried it with an entertainment center cabinet lock thing and it stays horizontal on my belt it is amazing highly recommend it just make sure the belt is tight
    Sounds cool but I think it's to prone to being pulled off your belt by a kid or jerktard. D-ring is really pretty strong.
    May 1, 2009, 12:36 AM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #12

Quote adonian said: View Post
    Can anyone post a pic, I like this idea, and I will admit I am a little lazy right now to go looking for it elsewhere
    I'll try and get some up tommorow...I gotta get my gear out and give it a going over before an event saturday...I trooping!
  13. Formely Jaing Skirata A'den Skirata's Avatar
    May 1, 2009, 12:59 AM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #13

here are some pix of mine and cer'jo's clips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0305091209.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	33296   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0737.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	33297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belt2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	33298  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	33299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	33300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip3.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	33301  

May 1, 2009, 3:09 AM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #14

Thanks for the great pics. Your buckets don't bounce around that much?
  15. Formely Jaing Skirata A'den Skirata's Avatar
    May 1, 2009, 4:16 AM - Re: Helmet clip thingy #15

my clip on my belt is very short. in fact with mt gloves on,i can't clip it myself. because it's so short, it doesn't really bounce at all. i do need to add a couple links to my chain though. i'm sure once theyre in, it will be less stable. for casual walking and standing around cons, it's not going to flop around much. i'm sure if you were movinf briskly it would be annoying. but, tht's not really something you do suited up anyway.