Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Heavy Armor!

From
    Boerne, Texas, United States

Re: Heavy Armor!

I apologize for that. I was posting using my phone and didn't pay close enough attention. What I was wondering is how is the inside of the torso armor? Do you have padding or does it all sit directly on your shoulders and hug your body.

That armor looks very impressive. Great work with everything. I love the detailing and the chains. This suit almost (almost) makes Boba look like a wimp. A very tough looking suit of armor!
    Keeping cool is going to be tough. I don't know how to keep cool under the armor but those Cool downz wraps that go around your neck might help give some relief. Just make sure you drink plenty of Gatorade and water cause if you get into hot areas your might sweat like crazy. Best of luck with the con.

From
    Huntsville, Al

everything looks great man but from what i saw of your main chest armor you might be stuck with the heat. thats the price for looking awesome. it would be nice if the had some conventions inOctober - April though! Hopefully it'll cool off before DragonCon

From
    Fort Collins, CO

Yeah the heat isnt so much the problem as is the sweat. Dragon Con, sounds like fun one of these days ill have to make it there not this year though

From
    Fort Collins, CO

Almost huh, that is better then what i could have hoped. Glad you like it. Ill have to check into those cool down thigns, any help would do wonders.

From
    Fort Collins, CO

No padding, sits right up, pretty tight, there are a few pockets, so i might play around with cooling pads, i have two weeks to futz with it.

From
    Fort Collins, CO

Ok. first, sorry about the tons of posts didnt know thats how it would work. second i have been looking at different variations on ice pack vests. There isnt much room on the inside but there are some places i could squeeze in an ice pack or two. also they make dry ice packs that are pretty cheap. so i might toy with the cooling vests and or make my own and see what comes out of it. Thanks for the feed back everyone!

Whoa, that's one wicked armour! I love the colours and the chains! Hope you get that heat-thing sorted out, though. Don't want you fainting while wearing it.

From
    Fort Collins, CO

Glad you like it, so far it has been well received by TDH community. I am so happy with the way it turned out especially with winging the design/engineering part of it. Tried to tell people i was doing something that hadn't been done yet.

From
    Germany

You should try the shirts from Underarmour. Their Heat Gear line isnt bad. I used to wear it under my body armor in Iraq and it did a decent job helping with sweat and it wont be visible.

From
    Fort Collins, CO

UnderArmour in conjucntion with some sort of ice pack is sort of what im thinking. I ordered some Techni-ICE sheets. a type of dry ice. cant mod it to fit what size you need, think it will do the trick.... we will see.

From
    USA

When you do troop in that make sure you drink plenty of water. The armor is wicked sweet, you did a fantastic job!

Well, I like the style with the Chains and Color but i dislike the epical inflexability of the Ab-section.

Seriously, Heavy Body-armor mustn't limit you ability to bend, flex, croutch, etc. But i think you will note that after a few troops.

From
    Fort Collins, CO

i see your point, but i don’t mind it really. Honestly, my ability to bend and what not arent hindered really anymore then when i had the standard clothy armor. I can sit, kneel, walk, and all just fine. I would think that by definition heavy armor, especially the roman cuirass, that i modeled mine after have the epical inflexibility as you called it. Is it the most comfortable thing... no, but most armor isnt, most bulky cosplay are annoying.

Any type of armor is always a balancing act between mobility and better protection. Having worn many different types of bullet resistant vest myself, including vests rated for stopping rifle rounds, I can say that the heavy armor that you created here would not hinder movement any more than real world body armor. Having said that. THIS IS THE COOLEST ARMOR EVER!

From
    Fort Collins, CO

Here is the gun. Masking this off took forever. Decided that i had enough gloss with the armor so i went flat with the gun. Although i used a flat primer on the chest and have to admit if i could do it over again i would have gone flat black throughout. I would love to add more belts to the ammo belt but they dont sell them seperate of the gun...
    ammo-pack-jpgback-jpgbick-side-jpgfront-gun-jpgfull-jpgturret-jpg

From
    Fort Collins, CO

Joe, couldnt have asked for a better complement, glad you approve. You are right about the trade off between mobility and protection, not to forget the bad *** factor. I am game to lose some mobility if it looks amazing.
    Last edited by Patient_Zero; Sep 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM.

thats some pretty beefy armor, man... looks great.. well done....

From
    Fort Collins, CO

Made it back from the con in one piece, a little worse for wear but the suit went over great! Ill have pics up soon enough. So i had one issue, i designed the chest piece to be tight... and when i found the heating issue i added ice packs, which worked like a charm! was able to wear the suit for a whole day, never had to get out of it! The ice pack pushed the frame around a bit and with that the frame sat weird on my hip and sternum. ended up with a few pretty deep cuts. live and learn, the chest piece has a date with a grinder. Getting badges for a few more Denver cons... will be good.

From
    Fort Collins, CO

so it has been a long time since i have been on here. The armor has gone over amazingly well everywhere i go. It does weigh a bit, hell the thigh armor with the chain band around it weighs 10lbs alone... and the inch think bondo chest with steel frame is a bit much... long story short... It was a huge learning curve and i think i am ready for version 3.0. The new designs make this one look weak... (so maybe i can give Boba a run for his money eh DarthMater?) I Going to go the fiberglass route although i tossed around the EVA or worblas possibility for a while. There is just so much detail one can control with bondo. the weight is just something you have to deal with, suffering for your art or something like that. The new suit will still be the roman chest (maybe a little less form fitting ), plenty of the chain work, which i will still be using steel for that. The limited mobility in the abs wasn't a big deal, and i have trooped plenty in it. I did solve the heat issue, the second year, just made a harness with pockets and added 'dry' ice packs. I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words and PMs and support during this, you were all amazing, TDH is the best community for any aspiring mandalorian.

From
    Fremont, CA

Wow Nice Custome Mando Brother!!! Love your full heavy plate armor look, the cainmail and the medallion cape attachment / cover is a nice touch. After I'm done with My PP2 I'm looking forward to building my custome Mando "Syper".
    Great work take care Mr.