First Time, Custom Mando

First Time, Custom Mando

Hello Everyone,

So, this is my first post! I joined the forum a few days ago and am amazed at the creativity and love for Star Wars that I've seen. Very Awesome

I decided to build a costume not too long ago and this site has definitely been the most helpful.

Well, here it goes. I'm going to build a custom mando (I'm too big to be Boba Fett, 6' 4" 250lbs, not gonna work) and I am going to make the helmet out of metal, probably aluminum.

The issue I have is deciding which material to make the Armor out of. I am contemplating using trash can armor because it is cheap, and doesn't look that bad. But, I'm concerned that in the end it will just end up looking cheap.

My other thought is that I could try to make it out of metal, but I'm not sure how difficult making those smooth curves would be.

Any Input or advice would be great. Thanks!

From
    Greensburg Indiana

Re: First Time, Custom Mando

welcome! I' sure your going to love it here. as for you bieng too big I'm pretty sure there is other Fett owners on this board that is that big! I'm 5'10" 225lb and I know shocknurse is pretty tall and his outfit is 2nd to none!! so before you give up on Boba talk to a few people on here!! good luck!

From
    Palombia

I'm 6'4 also

From
    Northern Illinois, U.S.A

The trashcan armor can turn out nicely if you do it right. I imagine so could anything if you take your time...for example, if you're interested check out this carbaord armor that looks amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjxWzjyLpao

Hope that helps!

From
    Oklahoma

Welcome to the boards Darfy. Good luck with the custom Mando!

G-Fett

From
    Sunshine State, USA!

Welcome aboard! This place is totally AWESOME, and a world of costuming information can be found here. The people here never cease to amaze me. Cardboard armor!!! Made from a pizza and cereal box! Just wait till I finish with my Cocoa Puffs! That was great Casius! Anyways Darfy, sintra armor might be another alternative for you, and keep an eye on the cargo hold here for great deals! Whatever you decide, good luck, ask lots of questions, and post pics! Again welcome!

From
    Zionsville indiana

Whassup Kote! Welcome to the clan!

Ok, so I have decided to start armor tomorrow and am set on making it out of aluminum. I know it'll be tough, but well worth it.

So now a question, Since I am Larger (not fat, just big) , I'm not sure if wizardoflights templates would fit me. Should I increase the size of the print?

Im 6'4" and have a 48 in chest? any advice?

From
    Grand Forks, ND

You sound about the same exact size I am, except a little bigger in the chest. I went with a modified WoF XL Jango for my armor. The only thing you may want to do is add a little length, depending on your exact build.

Well, I was gonna start my armor, but I have been unable to find 16 or 18 Gauge aluminum sheets. Home Depot didn't have any (or Lowes), and I can't seen to find any metal shops around. Very dissapointing.

Any Ideas? Or better yet, anyone in Southern California know where I can get some?

From
    Native of southern California currently in New York

well, just to give you a heads up, i hope you don't plan on trooping or wearing your costume for long periods of time... an aluminum helmet can get really heavy really fast and hot too. If you want to form armor yourself for pretty cheap, get some sintra from a plastic supplier. i got a 6' x 6' for $40 and that took care of all my armor and then some... but good luck and i can't wait to see your progress

Welcome, Darfy

Ok, So I found the metal. I'm using about 16gauge Aluminum. and my have found my dishing stump, and I think I'm gonna get started today. I hope to have pics soon.

Wish me luck

From
    Zionsville indiana

keep posting! I think this is going to turn out really good.