Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Feb 9, 2010, 10:13 PM - first set of armor #1

I recently started making my first set of beskar'gam, out of 1/8" aluminum sheet for the body and fiberglass for the helm and gauntlets. I have looked at Beviin Verhayc's youtube tutorials for getting the plates into the right shape and I was wondering if anybody has some suggestions for someone with a somewhat low budget and very little experience. I currently have some of the chest pieces cut out and I'm working on assembling the pepakura for the helm. I will post some pictures when I get them.
  2. Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Feb 11, 2010, 11:02 PM - Re: first set of armor #2

here are some pictures of the chest pieces

these were taken by the person who is helping me with this, using his camera, in the machine shop we have access to. They were cut on a plasma cutter and still need to be shaped. They were done using Wizardofflight's templates, which I converted to .DXF with a program I found. The helmet and gauntlets are in progress as well, and are being made using skip's pepakura templates. I will have pictures of those as well eventually, and I'm hoping to fiberglass them or something fairly soon.
    Edit: Pics of helmet progress:

Last edited by demonspawn93; Feb 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added photos of helmet progress
  3. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Feb 12, 2010, 7:04 AM - Re: first set of armor #3

If you are trying to dish metal, then your going to need to buy some basic tools. 1. A dishing stump. 2. A forming stake. 3. A ball-peen hammer. These are the most basic of ingredients for metal armor working that you can't get around having. Unfortunately, there isn't much about making good metal armor that is low-budget because it takes several tools to move metal.
  4. Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Feb 15, 2010, 1:32 PM - Re: first set of armor #4

what kind of things make good dishing stumps and forming stakes? i saw in the youtube videos that a tree stump with a dent cut into it and a gas canister was used. Also, what kind of materials make good t-visors, soft parts, and things to attach the legplates and gauntlets with?