Custom Mandalorian First custom Mandalorian costume (Pic intensive)

Refestus

Jr Hunter
Hey all,
I made an account not too long ago on this site and was really inspired by the immense creativity of the members here. You guys are awesome at what you do.
So after seeing all the costumes that you've made on here I decided to make one of my own and I'd like to share my progress with all of you. With my build I was going for something cheap and quick, but still good looking. I finished all the armor in about a week/week and a half for around $100.
Trashcan Armor.JPG
So here is the majority of my armor stenciled out on cheap trash cans, ready to be cut out. I used WOF's Jango templates. I'm now a huge fan of WOF. How he has the time to create such awesome templates for all of us to use I'll never know.
Vest back.JPG
One of the first things I did was create a vest. This one is just a quick temporary one, I'm planning on upgrading soon. Here is a shot of the back. Please excuse the lack of craftsmanship on this, I did it very quickly without much accuracy...
I used a t-shirt for a basic pattern. To create a snug fit I sewed a stretch fabric into the sides and shoulders. Like I said, this is just temporary, I'm a little embarrassed about how janky the overall product is...
Vest front.JPG
This is a shot of the front. The armor attaches to the vest via velcro for now although I find that this method is kind of hit or miss in terms of the strength of the hold.
Armor cut out.JPG
This is my armor all cut out and sanded, ready for painting. This was probably the most time intensive portion of the build (not to mention the messiest). My garage is currently covered with about a ton of plastic dust that my tarp didn't catch. I used a dremel tool to cut out and sand the armor. The trash cans worked brilliantly in terms of the fit of the armor. Where the fit wasn't quite right (such as the legs and back) I used a heat gun to bend the armor. I'm still having problems with that darn back plate.
Helmet just opened.JPG
For my helmet I used a Rubies two piece. Here's my helmet right out of the box. It was a little more flimsy than I expected, but what can you do?
Helmet with plastic fill.JPG
To fill the gap in the helmet I originally used a modelling putty called green stuff (all you 40k players out there will know what I'm talking about), but that didn't quite do the trick. So after that failed I did a little experimenting and found that a good method was to melt the plastic trashcan scraps into the gap with the heat gun. It's not as pretty as some of the other buckets I've seen on here, but it provides as strong a bond as I require.
Armor base coat silver.JPG
Here's my armor base coated in silver. Before the silver I did an original coat of black so that the silver would adhere more readily. I almost thought about leaving it in this state and making myself a suit of Jango armor!
Armor Painted without stripe.JPG
Now here's my armor painted, almost ready to go. I sprayed it with a metallic paint that has a hammered texture as I wanted my armor to look old and weathered. I used the mustard method for exposing the silver base coat to create a weathered look.
Armor Painted with stripe.JPG
And here's my armor all painted up with my awesome orange stripe and orange kill marks. I used latex paint and sponged it onto the armor in 3 coats with a piece of foam scrap.

So that's my armor so far! I'd love to hear some feedback or suggestions from all of you. I'll post updates as I can. I have since created a sash, cape and handwrap, installed a new visor, and touched up the painting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I think that orange is the new red when it comes to Mandos... there has always been a lot of red and black with paint jobs, usually because they go so well together.

I like that paint job, it's individual and works well with the grey.

Actually I think that orange is the new red when it comes to Mandos... there has always been a lot of red and black with paint jobs, usually because they go so well together.

I like that paint job, it's individual and works well with the grey.

as far as i'm conserned styles and tastes shouldn't be discussed because some people like thing different then other,like for example most people like their armor nice and weather and true to the very unrealistic done comic books and movie while i prefer my armor with no weathering mainly because i find it unrealistic,or how some people like to eat cereal for breakfast while others prefer a home cooked meal with no cereal at all

Thanks guys! Yeah I just like orange so I wanted to work it in somehow. I also saw a helmet that had orange kill marks where I have mine and I really liked the look of it. I wish I could find the picture so I could give credit but I can't find it.

Just a quick update. I touched up the painting and added some details:

DSCN1154.JPG
Here's my left chest plate with some Mandalorian script.

DSCN1153.JPG
Some more script near the vent.

DSCN1158.JPG
The obligatory Mando badge.

Hopefully I can get pics of the whole costume up soon!
Edit: with me in it of course.

This is a wonderful kit for a first timer. I very much like the combination of orange and grey together, especially with the long, straight pattern you've partnered with the pair or colors. One question though: is you neck really that long or am I crazy? ;)

This is a wonderful kit for a first timer. I very much like the combination of orange and grey together, especially with the long, straight pattern you've partnered with the pair or colors. One question though: is you neck really that long or am I crazy? ;)

Thank you, it still needs a few tweaks, but it'll do for now.

Yeah, picked that up from the gene pool apparently. I can see really really well over people at events though so it comes in handy.

I'm so in love with this paint job. I'm going to use something like it for mine (same orange racing stripe, but using a lighter grey. I'm also going to do a custom helmet inspired by one of the guys on the forum I forget the post -- i only saw it in passing and loved it.)

Sorta a sand mando (I'm a TD in the 501st so I'm sorta partial to the dryer climates.)

Here's the mockup I did.
6zQhZ.png

I probably won't roll with holsters as well. Going to carry an assault rifle I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the mockup I did.
6zQhZ.png

**** if only it was green with red and more boba style i'd be drooling all over it...but its cool this way too...i just got a natural affinity to green and red combination,don't know why,just do,think its got something to do with my last job being in the army and my fave collor being red?

Yeah, on the back of my neck seal I'll stitch a dotted line and the words "Cut Here"

Lmao and the line could be orange too so it fit with the armor XD

Yeah, on the back of my neck seal I'll stitch a dotted line and the words "Cut Here"

That's rad, I especially love the helmet! How are you going to do the gold visor?

Mirror finished acrylic, they're a bit hard to find but a lot of people have them for Commander Gree outfits and the like. (not normally gold, but it is around) same stuff they make mirror sunglasses out of.

Update:
As many of you may have noticed I was using a cheap Rubies holster set. I don't have too many complaints about the pistols but the holsters were absolute trash. Hell even I could build a better set! So I did.

I had some extra pleather around so I turned it into this:
Harness right.JPG
Harness front.JPG
Harness left.JPG

I also repainted the pistols. I spray painted the grips black with some weathering. It goes with my armor better, but they're still Jango's pistols (which I like).

I don't have templates unfortunately as I was using the Rubies' holsters as a guide, but it isn't too hard to make your own. I'll try to explain my process:
1.First I cut out my holsters.
The holster backing is a kind of triangle/rhombus that is 9 inches on one long end and 7.5 inches on the other long end, 2.5 inches wide at the top and 1.5 inches wide at the bottom. This shows the basic shape:
Holster backing detail.jpg
This is the left holster.
*Note: For the right holster, just reverse the pattern.
The actual holster part is just another rhombus that is 9 inches on one long end and 7.5 inches on the other long end, 5 inches wide at the top and 4.5 inches wide at the bottom. Here again is the left holster:
Holster detail.jpg
*For the right, again, reverse the pattern.
2. Next, I cut my pleather into strips that would serve as the main belt, front and back straps (the ones that hold the holster to the belt itself), thigh straps (that wrap around the thigh armor, securing the holster to the leg) and that little strip that goes through the metal piece on the front.
The front straps are 10.5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. One end is looped around a D ring like so:
D ring attachment.JPG
and about 2.5 inches of the other end is glued to the backing of the holster like so:
Holster backing strap attachment.JPG
Next we do the back straps. These are 21 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. loop them so that their edges touch and glue it onto the back of the holster like so:
Holster backing strap attachment.JPG
The loop is what the main belt goes through:
Back strap loop.JPG
The little strip that fits through the metal piece:
Metal detail.jpg
is 6 inches long, 1 inch wide. and is looped around the D ring on each end like so:
D ring attachment.JPG
Now comes the main belt. My belt is 37 inches long, 1.5-2inches wide. However, I'm thin (32 inch waist) so you can adjust this as necessary.
All the straps (waist, and thigh) attach with velcro. All assembly was done with hot glue.
Feel free to ask any questions if something wasn't clear and I'll try to clear it up (This has been my first tutorial). Sorry for the lack of templates, I've never made a template and currently don't have a scanner or anything even if I wanted to make one.

Edit: I almost forgot to say that these holsters are for the Rubies Jango blasters. For real replica blasters, add an extra 1.5-2 inches to the holster length. Don't change the strap dimensions though!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back