Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally redid by color scheme(pic intense)

Finally redid by color scheme(pic intense)

Used to be yellow and black

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=20420
    (old colors)

and ive gone with the red/white/black scheme

will post full suit pictures in the near future...for now, here are the gauntlets and helmet

and gauntlets not 100% complete...but heres what they are as of now

i used calculator buttons for the left gauntlet , till i find better ones, haha

enjoy! and thanks for looking!

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

Re: Finally redid by color scheme(pic intense)

Looking nice! I like that scheme, not one that people see often.

From
    Philadelphia PA

Tantive, did you ever get your new helmet? I like the colors of the helmet, but those scratches are pretty visible. And straighten those darts out son! =)

phil
    Last edited by hellopike; Oct 6, 2007 at 9:06 PM. Reason: added a bit

hahaha its hard to straighten the darts, and yeah, thats the BM helmet, the scratches are to show that it used to be someone elses armor repainted...as in... my old yellow armor

also why the gauntlets look so messy...they see the most action, IMO, haha

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

What made you want to repaint it?

Also, what's with the texture of your paint? Was it painted by hand with brush or something? The paint seems quite uneven and odd looking. The red on the helmet in particular.

nah, i just sanded off parts of the paint i did before, on the link...to make it look older, i didnt want it to look perfectly clean, the red is a shiny color and everything else is flat

and as far as wanting to repaint it...black and yellow seemed to common...so i started messing around with new colors...and this is what i came up with

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Hmm.. I'm thinking maybe you should hit the red with some dullcoat, it doesn't seem to be matching too well with the high gloss and then flat black/white.

eh, thats your opinion, which is usually the exact opposite of what i think, so thanks for your criticism...but ill stick to my plans

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

TantiveIV said: View Post
    eh, thats your opinion, which is usually the exact opposite of what i think, so thanks for your criticism...but ill stick to my plans
    You've been extremely hostile to me lately, and I think it needs to stop soon.

Well you can do whatever you want with your costume, I'm not telling you not to. I'm just giving you advice on how to make your paint jobs look better. Honestly, your paint jobs aren't the best and you have to take constructive criticism in order to get better. If you like the paint job like it is now, then keep it, its not my costume.

thanks for the bump, if you want to settle disputes, send me a PM...if you want to call me out on the forums, ill ignore it.

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Honestly, your paint jobs aren't the best and you have to take constructive criticism in order to get better. If you like the paint job like it is now, then keep it, its not my costume.
    i would never, in a million years, talk to somebody on the forums like this...no matter how much i disagreed with how they made their costume...THAT is the reason i dont respect your opinions...anyone else's is fair game, and will gladly be taken into consideration...im sorry, man.
    Last edited by TantiveIV; Oct 10, 2007 at 1:08 AM.

From
    Brooklyn NY

nice color scheme. I was thinking of doing red and black myself but decided to go with a blue and gold pattern.

blue and gold was one of my main colors in SWG...pretty nice scheme! post pics

From
    Brooklyn NY

As soon as its all done I will.

Tantive,

Although I do like the Color Scheme itself (Red/Black/White is awesome), I also need to comment on the Red. It seems as if you've used a completely different paint on the red, and it looks a bit, gloopy.

Maybe take some Pictures Outside to show it in Natural Lighting? Or hit it with a Clear-Coat to even it out, I did it on mine and they look great! Also maybe hitting up your Calculator buttons with some Silver paint to remove the print on them.

Just some Suggestions ^_^
    -Ayk

haha yeah, the buttons are still something i need to paint...what does clear coat do to shiny paint?

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

I think he means clear coat to make the dull paint on the helmet shiny like the red.

You could go either way, use a Clear-Coat Gloss to make everything Shiny, or use a Clear-Coat Dull to Even it all out.

Either way, it just looks a bit.. off, with the two very contrasting finishes.

hmmm, if i did that, then id have to do it to the rest of the armor

i might go shiny...shiny is very uniform

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

The only problem with shiny is that it allows imperfections to show up very very well. Dull, hides them a little bit.

I think that he was not so much mentioning the 'shine' or the 'color' though, im pretty sure he was mentioning that the paint looked like it clumped up in spots.

Im guessing you intentionally painted it to look as if you 'painted over' old armour again and again, which was probably your intention. So without some battlescaring, to show the other colors underneith, it just looks instead like a wierd paint job.

Again, im just speculating.

I really like the colors. I did a 'knock off' boba paint scheme. Similar to boba, but with a brighter red and no dent. Kind of like a Jodo Kast impersonation of boba.

I used a shiny clear coat, but I didnt paint it on evenly, and it made the sintra look like metal. Regardless, keep it up, its coming along. And most importantly, its hard to comment on the pieces properly, without seeing them all together. All artists know that its the final assembled piece that really gives life to its individual parts.

yeha i know exactly what you mean, storm...that actually makes perfect sense...sometime this week ill definitely try to post the entire set...i might redo the chest pieces, but i dunno...id really like to do metal or fiberglass...so we'll see

I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    From
    Laughlin, NV

TantiveIV said: View Post
    thanks for the bump, if you want to settle disputes, send me a PM...if you want to call me out on the forums, ill ignore it.

i would never, in a million years, talk to somebody on the forums like this...no matter how much i disagreed with how they made their costume...THAT is the reason i dont respect your opinions...anyone else's is fair game, and will gladly be taken into consideration...im sorry, man.

I like the new color scheme, but it may need some work, I am not just agreeing with GCN.

I have been in disputes like this many, many times, and it is pretty bad, if you guys can, hopefully come to a nice, safe agreement, please do.

yeah i know it needs work, clay, but what exactly is what im asking for

i still cant decide if i want to go all shiny or all dull
    besides, the shoulders/ knees and gauntlets are all the same red as the helmet, so i dunno yet

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

I would say all dull would probably look best with the current texture of the paint. First you should clearcoat it, then use dullcoat. Spray it on like spraypaint, and make sure it sits for a day. If it feels dry, don't touch it, leave it for a day then do the rest. Fingerprints can show up if you rush it when it may appear to be dry.

possibly...my old helmet had clearcoat on it, but i didnt leave it on long enough so it was in between shiny and dull...which wasnt too bad i guess...but i guess i can try out dull, and if i dont like it, then ill figure something else out

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Satin is in between. Its shiny when light hits it, but not 'glossy'.

Be careful what clearcoat you use. I used the krylon clearcoat, over krylon silver, and it made it turn white and mottled. I used it on gray/green and it looked great. Try a test pattern.

Try taking the shiny part you have. and run some high grit sandpaper over it lightly. it will make it look like its been around a while.

Maybe buy some of the 'car touch up' pens from wal mart, and try them out to make some scratches. I bought a 'nissan shiny silver' touch up and used it on some edging, especially over black, it looks excellent.

Keep going though, because I have had many projects where friends said 'hmm yah, ok.....' when they saw it 80% completed, and when done, would not leave me along wanting to buy it.

To quote a great line from a awesomely bad TV show...

'I love it when a plan (project) comes together!