Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Fem-mando first timer. WARNING Image heavy

From
    Knoxville, TN

Fem-mando first timer. WARNING Image heavy

Hi everyone.
    I've started work on my first armor.
    I've already posted some sketches and detail work up on the Mandolorian Mercs board, but more feedback is always welcome.
    Here is the full body armor sketch. The character's name is Juno M'hari. She is a former dancer turned Spy/Assassin. She's based on the real life Mata Hari.

Here is some detail of her armor

any crit is welcome. Thank you in advance

From
    Minnesnowta

Re: Fem-mando first timer. WARNING Image heavy

This will be an interesting build to watch! Especially when painting those intricate designs come up!

Formely Jaing Skirata A'den Skirata's Avatar
    From
    Yucca Valley

dont know how i missed this over at mercs. very cool design. very intricate details too. should be a pleasure to see it get built.

From
    Knoxville, TN

A'den Skirata said: View Post
    dont know how i missed this over at mercs. very cool design. very intricate details too. should be a pleasure to see it get built.
    Thank you very much.

KalamMekhar said: View Post
    This will be an interesting build to watch! Especially when painting those intricate designs come up!
    Thanks.
    actually, most of the designs with the exception of the ones on the helmet and the collar armor will be sculpted on there. I plan on using wonderflex for the base armor then bondo over that and finally using this stuff http://www.allfixepoxy.com/servlet/t...ine/Categories to sculpt the designs. Has anyone ever used it and know how heavy it is? Also I'm not entirely sure how well bondo will work with wonderflex. Any suggestions?

From
    Fort Worth Texas

miss_tori said: View Post
    Thank you very much.

Thanks.
    actually, most of the designs with the exception of the ones on the helmet and the collar armor will be sculpted on there. I plan on using wonderflex for the base armor then bondo over that and finally using this stuff http://www.allfixepoxy.com/servlet/t...ine/Categories to sculpt the designs. Has anyone ever used it and know how heavy it is? Also I'm not entirely sure how well bondo will work with wonderflex. Any suggestions?
    dont know about wonderflex or allfix but i do know about this stuff http://www.jeffvalentstudios.com/sto...d112d0092ef27f

i use it for sculpting and it would work well for what you plan to do. it also takes paint perfectly and bondo should stick to it just fine as well.

also another idea (depending on how steady your hands are and how good your glue gun is) you could use a hot glue gun, just draw out your design onto your armor and then just trace it out with the hotglue gun. then use bondo to smooth it out, fill in gaps and what not B^)

From
    San Diego

Oh My God that is going to be HARD to get those details... Are they going to be painted detail or sculpted detail?

I cant wait to see this one come to life.

From
    Albany, KY and Oklahoma City, OK

looks interesting... that's a lot of detail, which means a lot of hard work!

From
    San Diego

some of the details can be done with hot glue.

From
    Bobcaygeon, Ontario

Hot glue would be fast and look like beads of metal brazing..BUT
    if you use Apoxiesculpt... It'll bond to the plastic and last forever.
    You ran roll is between your fingers (like playdough worms) and
    then apply it to the armor. Then use water and some clay sculpting
    tools and get BEAUTIFUL raised details. Itll take forever and a day,
    but It'd look awesome and last. If your interested google out apoxie
    sculpt and lothlorien bow in the same search and see some of the
    excellent leaf designs the guy did on his "bow of the golden wood".
    N/M heres the tut: http://www.bowstick.com/makingthelothlorienbow.html
    Nice Concept! Good Luck for sure!
    Mike
    Last edited by miqt; Aug 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM.

I *love* it. When my man and I got married three weeks ago, I wore henna (because of my background) for the ceremony (and after as it stays on for almost a month), and this idea is almost like henna designs on armour-- very cool. Wish I'd thought of it before! It'll be pretty tough-- I'm a bit surprised to see a first-timer going for something so ambitious. Are you used to working with your hands or is this, as a whole, something new for you? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing this come along! Good luck, Tori.

From
    Minnesnowta

This really reminds me of armor that would be used in the Malazan Books of the Fallen series. Something Adjunct Tavore would wear, or even Sha'ik reborn. (anyone read those books?)

Seeing that she can draw amazingly im sure sculpting will come pretty natural too

From
    San Diego

yeah i like the apoxiesculpt idea, rolling playdoh worms and squeshing them in place seems a little easier.

From
    Fort Worth Texas

that apoxie sculpt seams to be a lot like the stuff i linked B^) a two part apoxie you mix and role out it's great stuff and dries in a few hours, its not for beginners though and can drive you nuts at times but if you are patient, you can make really great works of art!!

From
    Midlands UK

I like the idea and it's great that you've planned it so carefully, will always make for a better finished project

Love the Asian (Hindu?) feel to it.

From
    Australia

This is going to look very cool. Looking forward to the progress pics on this one! The intricate work doesn't look out of place either.

From
    Knoxville, TN

L3g3ndQ said: View Post
    dont know about wonderflex or allfix but i do know about this stuff http://www.jeffvalentstudios.com/sto...d112d0092ef27f
    also another idea (depending on how steady your hands are and how good your glue gun is) you could use a hot glue gun, just draw out your design onto your armor and then just trace it out with the hotglue gun. then use bondo to smooth it out, fill in gaps and what not B^)
    That stuff looks pretty good. does it dry really fast, cause I think i'm going to need a least a half hour curing time? Also do you think puff paint would work as well as a glue gun for some of the finer dimensional work? I"m leary of a glue gun as it leaves threads.

adonian said: View Post
    Oh My God that is going to be HARD to get those details... Are they going to be painted detail or sculpted detail?

I cant wait to see this one come to life.
    Mostly sculpted, and thanks

kal'ika said: View Post
    looks interesting... that's a lot of detail, which means a lot of hard work!
    Yeah, but hopefully it'll be fun

miqt said: View Post
    Hot glue would be fast and look like beads of metal brazing..BUT
    if you use Apoxiesculpt... It'll bond to the plastic and last forever.
    You ran roll is between your fingers (like playdough worms) and
    then apply it to the armor. Then use water and some clay sculpting
    tools and get BEAUTIFUL raised details. Itll take forever and a day,
    but It'd look awesome and last. If your interested google out apoxie
    sculpt and lothlorien bow in the same search and see some of the
    excellent leaf designs the guy did on his "bow of the golden wood".
    N/M heres the tut: http://www.bowstick.com/makingthelothlorienbow.html
    Nice Concept! Good Luck for sure!
    Mike
    Yes! that's perfect! *** thank you so much! *goes to find this stuff*

nomadbride said: View Post
    I *love* it. When my man and I got married three weeks ago, I wore henna (because of my background) for the ceremony (and after as it stays on for almost a month), and this idea is almost like henna designs on armour-- very cool. Wish I'd thought of it before! It'll be pretty tough-- I'm a bit surprised to see a first-timer going for something so ambitious. Are you used to working with your hands or is this, as a whole, something new for you? Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing this come along! Good luck, Tori.
    Yes again! Henna was exactly what i based those on. I wanted a kind of tribal bellydance feel for her. Yeah I do work with my hands a lot. I'm a costuming major and sculpt leather masks for fun. I thought i'd try my hand at armor and star wars is my first fandom so why not make a mando?

KalamMekhar said: View Post
    This really reminds me of armor that would be used in the Malazan Books of the Fallen series. Something Adjunct Tavore would wear, or even Sha'ik reborn. (anyone read those books?)

Seeing that she can draw amazingly im sure sculpting will come pretty natural too
    Thank you! sorry i haven't read the books though.

L3g3ndQ said: View Post
    that apoxie sculpt seams to be a lot like the stuff i linked B^) a two part apoxie you mix and role out it's great stuff and dries in a few hours, its not for beginners though and can drive you nuts at times but if you are patient, you can make really great works of art!!
    sweet! as soon as I get the cash, i'm on it.

Saz. said: View Post
    I like the idea and it's great that you've planned it so carefully, will always make for a better finished project

Love the Asian (Hindu?) feel to it.
    yeah, kinda a hindu, bollywood, bellydance feel was what i was going for, thanks.

BH Reaper said: View Post
    This is going to look very cool. Looking forward to the progress pics on this one! The intricate work doesn't look out of place either.
    Thanks!

From
    San Diego

Bump

It's been a month, anything yet?

Yes again! Henna was exactly what i based those on. I wanted a kind of tribal bellydance feel for her. Yeah I do work with my hands a lot. I'm a costuming major and sculpt leather masks for fun. I thought i'd try my hand at armor and star wars is my first fandom so why not make a mando?
    That's awesome. I'm pretty stoked about this one. How's it coming so far?

From
    Chattanooga, TN

I like it too! I saw this and told Nomad I was thinking about stealing your idea for her armor. I thought I'd scribed to this already but i am now!

From
    Knoxville, TN

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.
    I've been very busy with college but I've managed to get some of my soft parts done.
    Here is my Kama and the hip scarf that goes over it.

It's a bit hard to see, but the fringe of the hip scarf has some detail work I'm quite proud of.
    I took some copper pennies (pre-1982) and put them on a railroad track near my home. When the train had passed I had these

I took some model enamal paint in teal and purple and painted both sides like this, teal on one side, purple on the other

Then I drilled holes in them, and added beads and tassels

Finally I added them and some other charms I made to the hip scarf.

They jingle quite nicely. Next up is my vest which I'm having to re-dye the fabric for as it didn't take well the first time. After that, belts ahoy! Any feedback or advice is welcome! thanks in advance

From
    San Diego

WOW, I am glad to see this thread alive again, and REALLY HAPPY to see progress.
    when this is finished, it'll probably be one of the more original looking sets in exhistance.

From
    Midlands UK

Looking great, me's thinking you might be a fashion student though

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Glad to see this one is still alive!!!

...train-smashed pennies...that is rather inventive and completely awesome...

Looks really good so far!

A'den

From
    Arizona

A'den Kyramud said: View Post
    Glad to see this one is still alive!!!

...train-smashed pennies...that is rather inventive and completely awesome...

Looks really good so far!

A'den

Train-smashed pennies is a time honored red neck game.Did this all the time when I was a kid back in Texas. I think I lost about ten bucks in change doing this. The best part of this is trying to find the pennies that flew off the track.

From
    San Diego

I used to do it when I was a trolley cop. I love how hot they were when you pick them up.