Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 4, 2011, 9:51 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #101

You won't get booted for lack of knowledge. You might get booted for lack of work or lack of effort. But knowledge sharing is what we are about. I was new to costuming about this time last year.

Feel free to sign up we won't bite
    Apr 7, 2011, 10:23 AM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #102

Quote OneI8 said: View Post
    This is great for the elite few.. Someone Like myself that is new to costuming might not be ready to just jump in get booted. But I do feel that creativity within the realm is a great Idea. Maybe once I get started I will apply..
    that's interesting because i joined up shortly after my first armor party where i met the founders.
    my costuming experience consisted of reading a couple boards for a month and cutting out some sintra pieces and having built the two buckets that are up here on TDH.

where am I know? done! it took me about 6mo to build my first costumes, 3 Buckets and 2 kits at once one of them a fem-mando the other a full Legacy kit.
    Both kits are Official Members over at the Mercs and my kit earned me an Advisory Member tag at HHS. Why not Exemplary member? simple... not modern era.

Can YOU do the same? well i don't know, can YOU? It's up to YOU to join and do your best to conform to club rules, all you have to do is introduce yourself and start a build thread. I know You can do that much... you're posting here so why wouldn't you be able to post there? The last bit is to take our advice serious and in return we will take your advice serious. You mean a rookie can have something worthwhile to say? better believe ... so don't just look at HHS and say we are too elite for you just because you don't have a closet full of costumes or a garden full of kit sporting mannequins. If you want to learn from people who insist on applying everything they know to making Custom Mandos look just as good as the guys here do to their Boba's and Jango's... Join Up!
  3. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Apr 14, 2011, 12:45 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #103

I think i could give it one hell of try. I'll sign up and I am starting a costume build for my little brother. And I just have one big project that I have to finish up first for one of my other hobbies. And then i think I'm ready to start a build for myself.
    Apr 14, 2011, 5:08 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #104

cool, just put up an introduction thread and give a realistic time frame until you can post a work in progress thread.

just because the first costume isn't for you does not mean you can't use that build as your required wip. (unless I'm wrong in which case we'll both be told)
    The key thing is that you are building something applicable and sharing the work with the community.
    It's a good idea to document the build anyways so you can learn from the mistakes made on lil' brothers suit and avoid them during your build.
  5. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Apr 14, 2011, 9:05 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #105

Cool thanks. Now I'm waiting for approval.
    Apr 16, 2011, 7:31 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #106

Oh...Sorry, we've been getting lots of spam bots and I think I got you in the crossfire. I'll get it fixed ASAP.
    Apr 16, 2011, 8:29 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #107

we may need to send a few droids in after them spambots... they are making a mess of the place...
    Apr 16, 2011, 10:10 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #108

Just registered with you guys, awaiting admin approval. Looking forward....
    Apr 18, 2011, 11:45 AM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #109

You sir are in like Flynn. Welcome to the Squad.
    Apr 19, 2011, 7:22 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #110

thanks brother
  11. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Apr 27, 2011, 12:41 AM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #111

Thanks guys.... I'm off to a good start now...
    Apr 27, 2011, 9:31 AM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #112

Just as an FYI...5/1 starts the new (official) enrollment period. We've been approving the odd membership here and there to make up for the lurkers we've booted...so feel free to sign up.
  13. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Jun 7, 2011, 12:01 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #113

Just thought I'd add my 2 pence. I recently joined hhs and have already had some comments on my custom mando that can only improve my kit. It may take longer to get it to their standards but extra time and effort can only benefit your kit imo
    Jun 7, 2011, 2:47 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #114

Thanks for the kind words, and we're happy to have you!
    Jun 9, 2011, 6:11 AM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #115

Ditto!
  16. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Jun 18, 2011, 3:00 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #116

Why is it only for 18+? There are those that are working on their kits and are under 18.
    Jun 18, 2011, 8:14 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #117

And due to liability issues, You may sign up when you are 18.
    Pretty simple really...

It's not even a rare occurrence for costume clubs to insist on a minimum age of 18.
    You cannot become Official at the Mercs if you are under 18.
    You cannot troop at an official Merc event unless you are 18. (some exceptions/ grandfathered members apply)
    Does the 501st permit Under-18's to join? No they do not.
    How about the Rebel Legion? oh 18yrs of age minimum excepting the state of Alabama where it seems to be 19yrs.

No club is going to take the risk of accepting an underage member who may or may not get hurt, blame the club and get it sued/ shut down.

Edit: After reviewing the ToS and CoC here at the Dent, it seems the Dent does not care about poster's age. HOWEVER the Dent has a very thorough liability clause in the Terms of Service to protect themselves from anyone's lawyers.
    Last edited by Ghostwalker; Jun 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM.
    Jun 19, 2011, 1:21 AM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #118

TDH is one of the only places I know of that allows minors. Most other boards I frequent are 18+
  19. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Jun 19, 2011, 7:56 AM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #119

Mercs allows under 18 members as long as their parent or guardian is a member. Besides, Mercs doesn't keep under age 18s from posting. I am just pleading the case for under 18s.
    Jun 19, 2011, 12:57 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #120

The short answer is: while that may be the Mercs policy, it's not our policy. Me and catal pay the bills, so we can refuse anyone we feel like refusing.
    The longer answer is what Ghostwalker said. Alllowing minors to even post (as we're a closed community, we're a little lax on things like language and et cetera) would open us up to a whole ton of legal junk. And as much as I love costuming and believe that HHS is a much-needed resource, legal hassles are just not worth it.
    Once you turn 18, feel free to sign up.

EDIT: We do have a clause that allows minors as long as their parent or guardian is a member in good standing of the community. So there's that.
    Jun 19, 2011, 4:50 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #121

I didn't go into the rule that permits minors to post when their parent or guardian is also a member because it seemed to not apply to you.
    Yeah the Mercs allows minors to post and that has caused some issues in the past and also keeps alot of people from talking to them now.
    Not to mention that alot of the Clans have informal but clear cut rules regarding solo-minors at things like armor parties... usually they are flat out refused an invitation.

Yeah it sucks, but what else can we do to protect ourselves from infuriated parents who let their kid go unattended to someone else house, some event and said kid comes home hurt? In the case of HHS we have to protect ourselves from parents who do not take an interest in what their kids are building, tools and chemicals they use.
    If I was to post a how to on how to rotocast buckets with 2 part casting resin, omitting the safety instructions, and electric_jay follows it but doesn't wear safety gear and hurts himself... well it's his fault for not protecting himself. If a minor was to read the same thread and hurt himself We'd be in it deep. Minors are (legally) not expected to know how to put on appropriate safety gear or when to do so. This puts a crimp on my posting style if every time I write about how I heat formed something with a gun I also have to write about safety gear to legally cover my butt.
  22. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Jun 19, 2011, 6:14 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #122

Quote Ghostwalker said: View Post
    I didn't go into the rule that permits minors to post when their parent or guardian is also a member because it seemed to not apply to you.
    Yeah the Mercs allows minors to post and that has caused some issues in the past and also keeps alot of people from talking to them now.
    Trying to police a 18+ registration rule on a public forum is not only futile, it's a waste of time.

While the question of closing the forums off to only official members has come up in the past, the consensus has been that closing the forums off would be more damaging than helpful. Especially since our clan's forums are also sectioned off from the main boards. If there are some people who don't want to join Mercs because of that, well then I don't see that as any great loss honestly.

Quote Ghostwalker said: View Post
    Not to mention that alot of the Clans have informal but clear cut rules regarding solo-minors at things like armor parties... usually they are flat out refused an invitation.
    If anyone is allowing someone under 18 access to their tools unsupervised, then they are taking risk into their own hands. It's Mercs policy to not allow any minors to participate in official events unless that minor is a club member being supervised at all times by their parent club member.
    Jun 19, 2011, 8:37 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #123

Thanks Novall for your clarification on the Mercs Policy regarding Minors.

As I said earlier it is unfortunate for the under 18 talent but the age requirements are there for a reason across the board.
    All is not lost however since You CAN post here and over at the Mercs board. It is not as if there are no avenues open to you at all.
    Once you do turn 18 more doors will open to you.
    Jul 14, 2011, 11:16 AM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #124

Just a minor update. We have adopted a new Logo, designed by one of our very own members!

<------ See Avatar for details, your mileage may vary.
    Oct 24, 2011, 5:56 PM - Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board... #125

hey there electric-jay. im slightly confused on your costume club specifics. im aware that you all dont "troop" and you hold the costuming to a higher degree but im kinda confused on what you mean by "modern era" mando armor. i only ask cause in my mind i see like a US marine jetpacking into a firfight in downtown baghdad sporting a T-visor and a nice set of Beskar armor. im actually slightly hoping thats what you ment cause that sounds kinda cool haha. get back to me please