Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board...

From
    North Texas

Re: A Different Kind of Custom Mandalorian Board...

thats a good pic of it.

A very good pic. I'm sold on the gap being 1". Stuff like this is exactly what we want. There's visual reference.

From
    Cloud City, OR, USA

Catal said: View Post
    You don't need a kit to join. We'll help you from start to finish. Sign up, introduce yourself, tell us what you want to build...we'll provide resources and support to get you there.
    I just signed up...

From
    ha why ee

I also signed , i hav some very interesting sketches/ideas to share

Welcome to both of you. Please post up intrduction threads once your accounts have been activated.

Ok, our very first enrollment period is coming to a close as of midnight tonight CST. To all those who joined us, thank you. You are the guys who will set the bar for the future. To those who want to join, keep an eye out. Next enrollment will be in Feburary. To everyone who's watching to see what we can do...hold on to your hats. I think these guys are really going to knock our socks off!

OK maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what I'm getting out of this, is any suit we make will in appearance look like Mandos from Open Season through ROTJ. My only issue with this is, everyone's going to look like Boba or Jango except with maybe a differing color pattern. I mean if you're only allowing what appeared in the movies, there's very limited options on what exactly one can do. Again I mean no offense and don't want to kick an anthill, but I'm not understanding how you can be custom and screen accurate, when only Boba and Jango were ever seen on screen. And maybe I'm a bit of a KT fan, but I loved the way she wrote the mandos, and from her description, no two mandos had the exact same armor layout. I sold off my custom mando simply because I got tired of being called Boba Fett, so I figured if they're gonna call me that anyway then I may as well wear my Boba. To me doing something "custom" means you're doing something that's clearly part of the whole mandalorian, but you're doing it different in more ways than a different paint job. You can hardly buy a stock '69 Charger, put a coat of orange paint on it and call it a custom car. If I'm understanding wrong, please let me know, just trying to get my thoughts across. If this sounds offensive, I don't intend it that way, sometimes things sound one way to me and another way to the reader.

From
    North Texas

Well......using your 69 Charger analogy. If you were going to have a club that was all about 69 Chargers, you wouldn't want the guy in the 77 Nova coming in and saying well, you see the 77 Nova has wheels and windows and an engine so you have to accept me too because I really love 69 Chargers but I can only afford a 77 Nova. Now don't judge me or tell me I am not a 69 Charger fan, I am just a "different" fan.

On the KT front if you read what she describes she does not go off the deep end, yes they don't have the same layout, but they all had some common items and features. And that is way more than just a T visor. If you compare Skirata and Walon Vau there are some differences between them but the biggest difference is going to be the color of the plates. When I see Skirata I don't just think Jango repaint. I see him as a unique character. In the IC novel when they go into town (to spread the germs, and Gilamar kills Dredd Priest) they swap out plates and colors to look different, they don't change the basics of thier kit.

When we say screen accurate what we are talking about is screen QUALITY. I have seen some customs that look more like other movies or genre than they do Star Wars.

And no offense taken, feel free to give a rebuttal if my explanation doesn't answer your questions.

OK The quality bit now makes sense to me. My concern with the layout was, making everyone have the same gaunts (not even Boba and Jango had the same style),same girth belt (again same case), same etc... or enforcing members to have all pieces of gear seen in movies, as again (and this is with books mind you) not all mandos wore jetpacks all the time, took the same if any trophies (ie: Boba's wookiee braids) I guess what I'm looking for is the same basic mando feel, but some difference in exact layout, while looking like it belongs IN the movie. Again using the charger analogy, you wouldn't want to join a club where they said everyone has to have same model of tires, same engine brand, etc...

From
    North Texas

The requirments don't call for the exact same guants. In fact if you look at available pictures from movies and comics there are all kinds of gaunts shown. Same with girths. Jaster has a girth belt that looks like a weight lifters belt with big buckle in the front, completely different from Boba and Jango.

Your last sentence is exactly what we are looking for. The only problem with not nailing down reference points it it gets back to the guy in the 77 Nova who says that the 77 Nova "feels" like it belongs. In order to insure that it looks like it belongs in the movie you have to put in certain restrictions. I actually think you are about in the same school of thought as the HHS is. It just seems restrictive when you first read it because it is a change from what you may have seen. We have all seen the kits where people "feel" that the LOTR, HALO, Colonial Marine, US Army Mando is what "feels" right to them. While all of those other movies/games/groups may be great, they are not Star Wars and they are not Mando.

Mullreel has more or less covered it, but I want to add one thing. We aren't saying screen "accurate", we're saying screen "ready". We want kits that look like they could have been in the movies...even though they weren't. It's all about quality. Where I think you're misunderstanding is when we say "visual reference". That's to set our baseline, the foundations for our kits if you will. All mandalorian armor has certain elements in common. We want to make sure those elements are there first, before going further. We're not just repaints. I think as our members get their kits finished and you see what we're going for, everyone will have a lot better idea of our goals.

From
    Novi Sad,Serbia

i got a small question you guys say you gonna do modern era armor does that include the legacy era armor or not?

No, Legecy Era armor is totally different from Modern Era. At current we don't have any LE kits to base CRL's on, but we are not opposed to adding them in future once we have something to look at. One of our members is working on a LE kit and we're going to see how it works out before we decide anything.

From
    DFW Texas

that member would be me.
    there is a lot riding on my performance, rest assured that I am working my butt off, putting every one of my skills to it's best use.
    I am a patient builder, cut few corners and always seek input, both at the MMCC and HHS.

You can follow my Legacy Build at MMCC, there is no posted WIP on HHS since it falls out of current club scope there.
    First kit - Legacy body
    feel free to contribute over there, the least i will do is listen to your piece of mind.

the MMCC has it's place and so does HHS, there should be no conflict and little overlap.
    One Troops, handling everyone from green recruits to top quality kits of all eras,
    the other is only interested in top quality kits of the modern era.

membership is not exclusive, nobody is forced (or even asked) to abandon other costuming clubs.
    signups are limited, simply to maintain a high standard of quality.
    something that is impossible to do with open signups flooding the boards with more members than the exemplary members can handle at their current size.
    as the club grows and more exemplary members join the ranks, they may choose to change the way registration works. don't get so hung up on registration.

From
    Novi Sad,Serbia

ya i know all about the clubs and ive seen your threatd ive been following it for a while your doing good progress i my self am trying to get all the materials that il need to do a legacy build and a modern era build but its kinda hard because of the country in which i live

From
    Chantilly, VA

I think this group is fantastic, and definitely eliminates a lot of the...problems, with custom Mando work.

I'm in full agreement with the strict policy, as it will ensure accurate, high quality Mando outfits. The one thing I will say to a lot of the people here that are complaining about it being "too strict" is look at the costume and weapon design of the original trilogy...late 70's, early 80's. What was used for most of the characters equipment, clothing, and weapons? WWII/Vietnam era weapons heavily modified using PERIOD audio/automotive/industrial parts. Unfortunately, we're not in the 80's anymore with Star Wars, and Lucas and Co. now employs late 20 year old artists who use what THEY'VE grown up with (The Matrix, 90's anime, etc) as a point of reference for their character designs. That's why when we read all those 90's Star Wars comics, we see characters with spikes on their costume, or pony tails, or generally out of place articles of clothing and weaponry. Look at the Force Unleashed II...remember those giant Spider Robots you fought in the game, or those sleek and sharp sith stalkers you had to fight? Would you EVER see anything of that design in the 80's? **** no, that garbage looked like it was taken from The Matrix, or some current sci-fi summer blockbuster.

I've seen a few good custom mandos, don't get me wrong. From the paint and weathering, to the custom gauntlets, there have been many that have stood out. But you can not honestly tell me that the custom Mando sub-community isn't plagued with some pretty asinine stuff that just comes off as silly and completely unfitting for the Star Wars universe....Tribal tatoo designs plastered on armor...hot-rod flames? Collared spikes glued to armor? Obvious Toys R' Us nerf guns that look like they took a liberal dose of "Gunmetal" spraypaint? Random woodland camo M-16 magazine pouches thrown on some current Army issue MOLLE gear? Paint jobs that look like they've been concocted by whatever water-color craft paint was lying around their kid's bedroom? I understand that hobby groups want to beef up numbers, I get that; everyone wants to build a large community. But there's a reason why people aren't flocking to the 13+ group of "Toy Robots" (as I've heard a few spectators call) and are instead dying to get their picture taken next to the well-made Boba's and especially well done custom mandos/clone troopers.

Overall, I'm thrilled to have such a group that's determined to have such severe quality control because even though the numbers might not be up there, you can look to these guys to find all of the antsy spectators that are dying for a picture...not the green/purple/red Mando's that are carrying plastic swords and toy M-16's.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

You've been wanting to get that out for a while

From
    North Texas

that was cathartic just reading it.

thanks

From
    Houston, Tx

Okay. I've been reading this thread for a bit, and I don't think this question has been answered as concisely as possible, and I think this may be part of the cause for confusion here.

So correct me if I'm wrong, and that's a very real possibility, but your membership includes non-canon, or original, characters designed and created by the costumer, as long as they adhere to the quality standards, right? I think that the use of the word "Custom" is part of the misunderstanding, as it means different things to different folks.

From
    North Texas

Yes. I believe you have it.

The custom part is that they are non-canon characters, but they should look like they could have been just off screen in one of the Star Wars movies.

Nau'ur Baatir - You've got it exactly. As Mullreel, who is also a staff member on HHS, said you can do a non-canon character just make sure the kit looks in universe. In fact our membership is MOSTLY non-canon. We will also approve canon characters so long as they meet existing CRL's for the character and our quality standards.

Ponte - Thanks for the kind words, and even though you missed this past enrollment period, we hope to see you on the next one.

Fett 4 Real - Wondered where you'd gone! You need to get your intro thread up back on HHS so your account stays active. We'd hate to lose you!

From
    USAF Utah

Yeh I dont for see me being able to get anything going at the moment with finances the way they are

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Yeh I dont for see me being able to get anything going at the moment with finances the way they are
    You don't need a WiP, just an introduction.

From
    North Texas

Give an intro and then give some criticism. I usually like the old F4R critique. I love how you soft sell what you think and people have to read between the lines.

From
    USAF Utah

Mullreel said: View Post
    Give an intro and then give some criticism. I usually like the old F4R critique. I love how you soft sell what you think and people have to read between the lines.
    Roger will make an intro tonight for sure then...I had thought it was a WIP thread. I have been planning to do a custom sooner than later but its gonna be later now.