Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 22, 2007, 3:23 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #51

i like it alot, the colors are different but very unique. the shemaugh is cool too; the only real issue i have is the footwear completely breaks the fantasy of it all for me. are you planning on something different with them eventually?

phil
    Aug 23, 2007, 4:04 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #52

I am completely impressed on the gauntlets. Great job!
    Aug 24, 2007, 3:44 AM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #53

I love the blaster the best. That's great. MP-40 w/ e-11?

The whole ensemble looks great.
    Aug 24, 2007, 9:39 AM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #54

I love the slight WW2 desert infrantry look to it! I'm also absoutly in love with that gun! It all looks absoutly awsome!
  5. Member Since
    May 2007
    Aug 24, 2007, 9:44 AM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #55

Thanks for all the comments...

Per the shoes -- I have looked for something - but these I actually wore in Iraq - I had another pair just like them - but those were badly damaged - sp I DX'd them. Until I find a suitable shoe that fits the whole "desert" image I'll probably stick with these. I don't think I will be using combat boots or placing a "armor" plate over them -- I wanted to keep it simple and functioning - since sand is hard to get around in anyways - these shoes are form fitting and don't weigh that much - which is also why I skipped out on the leg plates. Too much armor in sand will bog you down - this is from personal experience. Again - I wanted to incorporate things I wore in Iraq with this armor -- the lace up shoes might not do it for everyone - I knew this when thinking about what type of shoes to wear...but for now - this is it...

Joe
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Aug 24, 2007, 10:25 AM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #56

I wouldn't worry all that much about the laces. Thats a preference thing honestly. If at some point it bugs you, just use a pair of boba spats to cover them and it's an easy solution.

All together it's a nice suit of beskar'gam.
  7. Member Since
    May 2007
    Aug 26, 2007, 8:37 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #57

I'm going to try to add an image...

Aug 27, 2007, 1:15 AM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #58

just wanted to say that this suit is pretty flipping awesome! i love the gauntlets and jp. i never would've thought of using an M3 for a blaster. brilliant!
  9. Member Since
    May 2007
    Aug 27, 2007, 6:08 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #59

Here's a link to some more photos of the build up process...

hope it works...

http://flickr.com/photos/12204795@N0...7601701636266/

J
    Oct 5, 2007, 3:06 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #60

any other pics of you all suited up? Wearing the jet pack? just curious.

phil
  11. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 5, 2007, 5:15 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #61

Maybe you should hit the whole suit with a sandblaster, not too much, just give it that, "It's been through a sandstorm" look.
  12. Member Since
    May 2007
    Nov 26, 2007, 11:52 AM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #62

Phil - good question on the jet pack - my present duties right now have me removed from my armor - I had planned on designing a "rack" that will be used to hold the jet pack - with the intention that I can hook it on my back by myself - without assistance. I had some ideas - but had to leave for awhile. It's something I will re-visit this summer. The initial rack was to heavy - not that the J/P is lite -

Also - I was working on a strap system inside my flack vest that when I slide everything over my head - it all falls into place - then I hook my pack up - and go with it.

Of course this is the plan ...:jet pack

TK1799
  13. Member Since
    May 2007
    Jan 21, 2008, 5:20 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #63

Okay - I did it. I finished the harness - and it only cost me $10. I found an inexpensive back pack at WalMart and used everything from it to make my harness. Since it is nylon - it slides into place. Tomorrow I plan on putting back on - taking some shots with the jet pack on for the full effect. I'm home on R/R and bored - so I put everything together - since I have OCD!

Anyways - I did a test run and it worked with out adding anything more to it.

So - I'm pleased with it. I listed the Flickr web page and added the test run to the J Fenn photos ... once I have the whole set - I'll ask ASOK to post them here so this thread will be complete.

Again - thanks for all the comments -- I also picked up a green shemaugh in Baghdad that looks a little better than the black/white... at any rate hopefully tomorrow or the next day everything will be in place for this thread...

out...
  14. Member Since
    May 2007
    Jan 22, 2008, 10:27 AM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" w Jet Pack #64

http://flickr.com/photos/12204795@N0...7601701636266/

I added five new photos to the J Fenn photo set -- these have me wearing the new green shemaugh and the Jet Pack itself -

Hope you like it - please leave any comments as well...

i was able to make a harness that fits inside the flack vest and everything slips right over my head and in place- it's a little tough getting it off - but it can be done - I did a test run before these photos and again this morning -- so I think I have everything in place. Of course - due tot he layering of materials - I will probably only wear this in A/C buildings or during the fall/winter time frame...

out ...

J
    Jan 22, 2008, 9:05 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #65

Joe, here are your pics. Sorry it took so long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J Fenn_00.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	22358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J Fenn_01.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	22359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J Fenn_02.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	22360  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J Fenn_03.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	22361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J Fenn_04.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	22362  
    Jan 22, 2008, 9:25 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #66

Awesome work TK1799jhw, the pictures of your jet pack harness have given me the inspiration that I needed, as my jet pack build is nearing the stage where I'll have to make my harness.

Now I have a good idea to start with, you have my most humble thanks.
  17. Member Since
    May 2007
    Jan 22, 2008, 9:35 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #67

ASOK - thanks again for posting these here -- the whole project is finally done... I would again like to thank ASOK for his input and aid in this endeavor - as well as WOF and Lisa Fett -- also all you guys and gals out there that did this before me and posted everything you did on here. My first armor is and always will be the Stormtrooper -- but this is something private and I enjoyed doing it. I worked all last summer - in the heat with sanding and Bondo and super glues -- I might still be high -- but it was worth the sweat and time it took to do it right and get everything down like I wanted it. I hope anyone passing over this thread will look at the dates and see how long it really took - and it really didn't cost me that much in expense -- I never put something like this together before -- but I wanted it to be accurate - more for the films and legacy that we all grew up with - and that inspired us to do what we do in life. Hell - I'm actually fighting real insurgents -- but this project allowed me to step out of that world into something that I enjoyed when I was a kid. I know if I had put something like this together when I was 11 yrs old _ I would be famous in my neighborhood. I'm sure we have all did birthday parties or showed up at an event - and the look on the kids faces -- I would have loved to have seen a real S/T or Boba - or Vader - but clubs like this weren't around then... I hope you guys enjoy the photos and the look I was trying to achieve -- someday this will all go to my kid(s) - I hope they enjoy it has much as I have.

In the meantime, I will continue to scare the ***** out of the neighborhood kids and maintain my security position at GenCon...

out...

J Fenn / TK1799
    Jan 22, 2008, 9:52 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #68

I really dig the arena/traditional jet pack. Your blaster looks like one of those old "grease gun" sub machine guns from way back. Kandosii job! 8)
  19. Jan 26, 2008, 1:56 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #69

hey dude very, smart matching the colors.you remind me of fire fly from gi joe. loocks great. pretty soon i will be showing my mando, well just the helmet.
  20. Jan 31, 2008, 12:02 AM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #70

Nice job dying the shemagh. The suit looks killer! I'm digging the modded M3 as well.
  21. Member Since
    May 2007
    Aug 16, 2009, 1:03 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #71

I redid the plates - bought fiberglass - placed bolts/nuts on each corner - and repainted the entire set.

The costume made it's first appearance at GEN CON 2009 on SAT - and until it's cold - probably won't wear it again. The leather belt malfunctioned - so I'm going with a velco black belt to hold everything together - like the other two parts.

Speaker system works fine as does the fan. Everything went on as expected - but the jet pack started to dip on one side from people holding it - so I walked around some what slanted...

All in all, great project - but I'm a trooper at heart...One of my gauntlets needs to be fixed too...after trying to get them off - one split in half on the wrong side. no problem...
    Aug 16, 2009, 2:47 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #72

Hey dude, love the suit. I'm always glad to see real soldiers who make their armor reflect their experience. I'm doing a VERY similar armor suit. Big difference is mine's more green and grey, not so much desert stuff... that way I can use my issued boots and webgear with it (cheapskate I know). Stay safe ner vod.

Waco
  23. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Aug 19, 2009, 1:57 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #73

Beautiful blend of colors! I think he needs some more leg armor, but that's just a personal preference. I do like that blue, though- a lot.
  24. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Aug 20, 2009, 1:47 AM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #74

your armor looks great. Whats the name of the gun you are using i cant tell what it is.
    Aug 20, 2009, 3:29 PM - Re: Desert Mandalorian Warrior - "J Fenn" #75

It appears to be an M3 grease gun. US made WWII-Vietnam era .45 cal submachine gun commonly used by US troops who needed a reliable, compact weapon for either specialized use or personal defense. Commonly used by Rangers, Paratroopers and Officers as well as Tankers and Engineers during WWII and Korea. In the Vietnam conflict it was occasionally used by US and S. Vietnam troops who had similar requirements, as well as US military advisors to the South. It makes a heck of a blaster tho.