Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

"Customs" - Cannon vs. Imagination

From
    Columbia, Missouri

Re: "Customs" - Cannon vs. Imagination

I agree that a back story and time line would be great. I also think a Gallery style page where all us customs could post our gear in one place, would allow many new custom builders a chance to look at the quality of customs out there. Setting a high example here on the boards and out in the world when we are in our costumes is a good a way to form some general guidelines to how to build a custom Mando, Storm Trooper, Etc. If we lead by example and give the newer people a place to look at all of our hard work without having to search and spend a lot of time on the web. would give them more time to work on their gear. This would also help them feel the need to build up to a “standard” of excellence without forcing them to live up to a standard that we have set to try and weed them out. I can say personally that I took a lot of time working on my gear and looking at every custom Mando I could find to take ideas from. I felt an obligation to make my Mando live up to the standards that many of you have set for yourselves in building your own costumes. I feel that most people will feel the same way and the desire to "fit in" with the rest of us without being forced that way, will push them to make their costumes the best they can be.

I also feel that is why there is some resentment for groups like the 501st. I understand their desire to have cannon characters and their desire to fit into the universe as it was in the movies. There is a positive side to what they are doing by creating a force of storm troopers and imperial troops in general. They are a great addition to any convention or gathering. However the decision to close off their ranks to customs has a negative side. I personally have felt some resentment in the past, when I was looking at costume choices, toward the 501st. due to their requirements. I no longer feel that way and will perhaps one day build a cannon costume to join them, but now that I have found TDH and HV&M as well as a couple of other places to hang out, I do not feel the pressure to conform to a certain standard just to fit in. If I ever join it will be becaue I want to, not because I feel I have to just to have fun with the hobby.

I really feel no need to have my custom be accepted by the 501st. I want to make an ESB Boba as well as a Biker Scout which should both get into the 501st anyways, if I decide to join.

I think a gallery is being planned as well, with the new server change allowing that kind of addition. I'm not sure the specifics of the gallery, like if it's only for cannon costumes. And I must say that seeing all the customs and Fetts that I've seen has really pushed me to try and make the best costume I possibly can given the resources available to me.

From
    Baltimore,MD

I would like to see some advancements toward rank identification and unit class customization. for instance, standard bearers and grunts. also elite class and the like. of course all of these things only serve towards a more united mandalorian army structure. as far as bounty hunters and loners, there should still be some standard to live up to. I know I don't want to look like a dork in my PJ's. by the same token, i'm not doing a fett because I don't want someone picking apart my paint job and jumpsuit colors. I want to have a good time, and hang out with easy going people, not costume snobs. i'll stop typing now. I got nothing.

From
    Provo,Utah

katarn said: View Post
    "In five millennia, the Mandalorians fought with and against a thousand armies on a thousand worlds. They learned to speak as many languages and absorbed weapons technology and tactics from every war. And yet, despite the overwhelming influence of alien cultures, and the absence of a true home world and even species, their own language not only survived but changed little; their way of life and their philosophy remained untouched; and their ideals and sense of family, of identity of nation, were only strengthened. Armor is not what makes a Mandalorian. Armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassaliable heart. "
    — Passage from "Mandalorians: Identity and Language"

The last two sentences sums up how I feel on the subject.
    beautiful just beautiful

From
    Chicago, South Suburbs

Ok,

I think its my turn to chime in on this subject....as an Admin here and as 501st member.
    When I started my Jodo Kast armor, EU characters were not allowed in yet.Thus, my Jodo Kast was not going to elegible for membership in the 501st. Did that stop me? Hell no....It may have taken me 4 yrs to put it all together, but I did it...and it came out fantastic!! I was still going to troop with all of my 501st friends regardless, because we all hung out and partied together.
    Fast forward to the present. Remo Locke and I started the HVM for a place for Custom Mandos to hang out and showcase their stuff, because there was no place for us like the TDH is for Boba and Jango. Our membership grew, as more people came over and started to hang out, and showcase more of their stuff.
    Now look at where we are, there are 3 forums dedicated to Custom Mandalorian costumes, where there was none a year and a half ago. I say we as a group have made significant progress with our costumes and the quality we have been churning out.
    Yes, we must also help each other keep the quality high on what we do, to keep the feel for "just walked off the set" look. I think that is one of our primary goals.
    And as I have seen, many people will come at me and say.."Why do you care? Your Mando is already an accepted 501st costume!" To those people I point out, that 4 years ago, it was not. Thus making me and my brother to the North, Jodo_Kast the first custom Mandalorians out there that really showcased our costumes.... So this subject is near and dear to both of us.
    So where does that leave us? I don`t know. We now have 3 message boards to choose from, our numbers have tripled in the last year, and I am organizing the first Custom Mando Photo Op at DragonCon this year.

Where it all goes from here is anybodys guess? Could our little fledgling group expand and grow more than it has? I`m sure it will...and I`ll be here to watch and smile as it does.

Carry on my Mandalorian brothers and sisters...

Craig M.
    Jodo Kast 3
    HVM Admin
    TDH Admin

Tack said: View Post
    I agree that a back story and time line would be great. I also think a Gallery style page where all us customs could post our gear in one place, would allow many new custom builders a chance to look at the quality of customs out there.
    I believe that is what Remo (I think) is trying to do here: http://www.mandaloriansupercommandos...x_content.html

I didn't read most of this thread, but I'd definatly like to throw in and agree with the original poster.

I sometimes see customs that makes me question why someone would do something.

The biggest pet peeve for me, but I never mention it because, hey, it's your costume. But, if you want to fit into the timeline there are a few things that need to be recognized.

First off. Mandalorians hate Jedi, they hate everything about them and everything that represents what a Jedi is. So, when I see a Mandalorian Jedi, it kinda twists my nipple. A Mandalorian would never use a Light Saber for several reasons. One, even as bad ass as Mandalorians are, they just don't have the focus and force power to use a Light Saber, here is a weapon that takes years and years to just get the feel of, and without the Force, it's extremely hard to do. Not saying that it can't be done, it just in all actuallity of most of the stories that I've read, wouldn't happen.

Second, It has been stated in almost every source book...No Two Mandalorian Armors look the same. So, there's absolutly no reason why all the costumes should look the same. You could be wearing football pads, and as long as "look" Mandalorian...hey, you're a Mandalorian. If you pick up issue 7 of Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic comic book series, there is an excellent example of pre-dated Mando costumes, and I loved it. I got some great ideas for my next custom based off of that one comic book, and it's going to be a bad-ass Mando costume when I'm done.

Three: Regardless of what you've heard Jango Fett was not the last Mandalorian. There were several of them that were used as Training Commanders for the Clone Troopers. Jango provided the DNA, and the Mandos that he hand-picked trained the commando squads.

In the latest book, we see several Mandalorians.

Four: Mandalorians are not a "Race" they're a warrior tribe. Anyone can become a Mandalorian, in fact I saw a Twi'Lek Mando in this story and I thought he looked awsome. So, if you want to be a Ghamorian Mandalorian, that's entirely up to you, and nobody but big GL can say anything otherwise.

And the way I see, when GL released Star Wars, he gave that universe to us. It exists in our imaginations, making us the controllers now. Just because he says "Oh, no more Wookie Jedi." Doesn't mean you have to listen to him. If you want to be a Jedi Hutt, then that's your thing. Nobody has the right to take that away from you.

That's all I got to say. I'm sorry if I upset anyone with my points of views, and I could be wrong. Maybe you're Mandalorian killed a Jedi and took his saber. That's your story, your character...go on with your bad self.

Jodo Kast 3 said: View Post
    Ok,

I think its my turn to chime in on this subject....as an Admin here and as 501st member.
    When I started my Jodo Kast armor, EU characters were not allowed in yet.Thus, my Jodo Kast was not going to elegible for membership in the 501st. Did that stop me? Hell no....It may have taken me 4 yrs to put it all together, but I did it...and it came out fantastic!! I was still going to troop with all of my 501st friends regardless, because we all hung out and partied together.
    Fast forward to the present. Remo Locke and I started the HVM for a place for Custom Mandos to hang out and showcase their stuff, because there was no place for us like the TDH is for Boba and Jango. Our membership grew, as more people came over and started to hang out, and showcase more of their stuff.
    Now look at where we are, there are 3 forums dedicated to Custom Mandalorian costumes, where there was none a year and a half ago. I say we as a group have made significant progress with our costumes and the quality we have been churning out.
    Yes, we must also help each other keep the quality high on what we do, to keep the feel for "just walked off the set" look. I think that is one of our primary goals.
    And as I have seen, many people will come at me and say.."Why do you care? Your Mando is already an accepted 501st costume!" To those people I point out, that 4 years ago, it was not. Thus making me and my brother to the North, Jodo_Kast the first custom Mandalorians out there that really showcased our costumes.... So this subject is near and dear to both of us.
    So where does that leave us? I don`t know. We now have 3 message boards to choose from, our numbers have tripled in the last year, and I am organizing the first Custom Mando Photo Op at DragonCon this year.

Where it all goes from here is anybodys guess? Could our little fledgling group expand and grow more than it has? I`m sure it will...and I`ll be here to watch and smile as it does.

Carry on my Mandalorian brothers and sisters...

Craig M.
    Jodo Kast 3
    HVM Admin
    TDH Admin
    Oh, and one more thing about this subject. No offense to you Jodo, I have the upmost respect for you and 501st guys.

But, I am getting sick and tired of seeing you guys mentioned in every book! :moon

You guys have earned your place, don't get me wrong. You've put a lot of hard work to end up where you guys are today. But...maybe it's time for a little competition. The 501st wasn't the only Stormtrooper devision!

I doubt anyone would be able to stand up to the 501st, I mean...you guys have what, a couple thousand members now?

But, still wouldn't it be interesting to have some friendly competition?

Bah, I'm just in Madea mode. I'll shut up now, I'm rambling.

DellisTantor said: View Post
    I doubt anyone would be able to stand up to the 501st, I mean...you guys have what, a couple thousand members now?
    But, still wouldn't it be interesting to have some friendly competition?
    The Knights Of The Empire have stepped upto the mark. We're U.K. based, 501st friendly, and now have members spreading across the U.S. We troop not just canon, but EU canon and quality custom Mando's and can be found at: Knights Of The Empire 8) Okay, shameless plug over!

As long as the essential ellements are there, taken from EU canon or film canon then how you put it together is entirely upto you. Just remember that it should look like it "COULD'VE BEEN IN THE MOVIES".

DellisTantor said:
    First off. Mandalorians hate Jedi, they hate everything about them and everything that represents what a Jedi is. So, when I see a Mandalorian Jedi, it kinda twists my nipple. A Mandalorian would never use a Light Saber for several reasons. One, even as bad ass as Mandalorians are, they just don't have the focus and force power to use a Light Saber, here is a weapon that takes years and years to just get the feel of, and without the Force, it's extremely hard to do. Not saying that it can't be done, it just in all actuallity of most of the stories that I've read, wouldn't happen.
    Actually whilst you are in part correct, Mandalorians DO indeed dislike Jedi you are also in part, wrong.
    President has been set in the EU for a Mandalorian/Jedi hybrid with Karen Traviss's Triple Zero novel. Admittadly said character (I'm trying hard not to give anything away, for those that have yet to read it!) is a Jedi first BUT that character has been excepted by the Mandos, talks Mando'a, understands the culture AND wears Mandalorian armour. It remains to be seen where (if anywhere) Karen decides to take the character in the upcoming books but the fact remains a Mandalorian Jedi does exist.

Oh! and said character still uses a lightsaber and the Force.

From
    San Diego, CA

DellisTantor said: View Post
    It has been stated in almost every source book...No Two Mandalorian Armors look the same.
    Perhaps, but highly questionable and debatable as fact. Every Mandalorian armor I have seen is similar if not identical. I'm trying to imagine a rainbow-colored war and I just can't see it. As a "tribe", I see greater possibility of some similarity than absolute individuality. A timeline would definitely play a role.

From
    San Diego, CA

And then again, that could be interpreted as meaning there are only slight differences.

ShocKWavE said: View Post
    I'm trying to imagine a rainbow-colored war and I just can't see it.

Something to help your imagination:

http://clonetroopers.net/Forum/index...78&#entry48378

OrtharRrith said: View Post
    The Knights Of The Empire have stepped upto the mark. We're U.K. based, 501st friendly, and now have members spreading across the U.S. We troop not just canon, but EU canon and quality custom Mando's and can be found at: Knights Of The Empire 8) Okay, shameless plug over!

As long as the essential ellements are there, taken from EU canon or film canon then how you put it together is entirely upto you. Just remember that it should look like it "COULD'VE BEEN IN THE MOVIES".

Actually whilst you are in part correct, Mandalorians DO indeed dislike Jedi you are also in part, wrong.
    President has been set in the EU for a Mandalorian/Jedi hybrid with Karen Traviss's Triple Zero novel. Admittadly said character (I'm trying hard not to give anything away, for those that have yet to read it!) is a Jedi first BUT that character has been excepted by the Mandos, talks Mando'a, understands the culture AND wears Mandalorian armour. It remains to be seen where (if anywhere) Karen decides to take the character in the upcoming books but the fact remains a Mandalorian Jedi does exist.

Oh! and said character still uses a lightsaber and the Force.
    Hmm, ironically I just picked that book up last night and began reading it. lol

Karens books are almost bibles for all things Mando.

I hope we get to see more of Bard'ika in the next books...

From
    Chicago, South Suburbs

Dellis..

No offense taken.

All I have is my Kast armor....so you know where my heart lies....

From
    Las Vegas, NV

wookieegunner said: View Post
    Something to help your imagination:

http://clonetroopers.net/Forum/index...78&#entry48378

I'm the guy on the far right with the ROTJ Fett Blaster.

From
    San Diego, CA

Nice.

The boss and I (Xzen - Corbantis)

And although that is a bit across the board, there is definitely a limited color palette in Star Wars Galaxies for Mandalorian armor.

From
    The Desert, Cali

ShocKWavE said: View Post
    Nice.

The boss and I (Xzen - Corbantis)

And although that is a bit across the board, there is definitely a limited color palette in Star Wars Galaxies for Mandalorian armor.
    I quit SWG before I could get my set. Was on the Bloodfin server, the PvP server. Now Im testing on my friend's SWGEmu server, with my jango colored mando

From
    Wichita, KS

Customs are what you make of them. Some people want to have theirs look like nothing we've seen and some want to just change colors on Jango or Boba, to each their own. I've said before that being custom means no one can tell you you're wrong, we can give advice on how we think it could look better but in the end it's up to the wearer and how they like it. For my three customs I'm keeping somethings straight on like the armor shape but I'm also going my own way, two of my helmets don't have the standard RF and the third is an off the wall gag/joke costume that I wanted to make to get some laughs.

I'm lucky to have found someone in the same city as me that wanted to make a custom, we shoot ideas to eachother all the time and if we get stuck we usually post on HVM to get feedback there. Of all the ideas I've come up with and shared I have not once been offended by someone's remark. If we all looked the same it would get boring, new ideas are what drives customs. I personally do not like making a costume that looks "cookie cutter", the more I can change while keeping it identifiable the more I like it.

While I think we do need some standards as far as quality we shouldn't knock someone down if we don't like their idea. If someone has cardboard armor we should encourage them to make a new set out of a better material, if they have a large shield on their gaunt instead of the flame thrower, rock on.

In the end I think we should just support each other in making the best costume we possibly can. On that note, I'm off to find more gagets for my armor.

From
    Saratoga Springs NY

Im new to the Dented helmet and Im kicking myself for not signing on sooner. Too bad there arent another 8 hours to a day.
    I see some familiar names here and thats cool. This is a very interesting topic and I have to say there are some interesting opinions and statements on this thread.
    Im relativlely new to custom costuming, and it was the guys and gals over at mandaloriansupercommandos.com that inspired me to get into the hobby. I really do enjoy the creativity that goes behind every costume to make it unique. It looked like alot of fun. but I do understand what some people mean about designs looking hastily slapped together, or rigs that are to far outside the box that they look nothing like something found in Star Wars. Now I know that not eveyone works for a visual effects studio but there are alot of awesome people out there costuming that give easy to follow tips and techniques that make a huge difference in the way a costume will come out in the end. Ive seen some really great Mandos out there and have recieved crit and tips from the Mandos at MSC and my beskar'gam is doing great. Its taking forever but its coming along. Maybe my sniper patience is coming in handy.
    Maybe its because Ive been a soldier for so long, but there are some Mandos that just dont look the part, and people are afraid to tell one another their true opinion and dont offer a constructive crit in fear of offending. We have to be our own quality control, and we have to be prepared to take crit as well. I post my progress when I can because what looks "Star Warsy" to me might not to everyone else, and though my Mando is my own interpretation of a Mandalorian I also want it to be believable "in universe".
    I think that if guys and gals stick to what Mandalorians are (super soldiers) and stick to their core needs (soldier gear/kit) without getting funky, the costume ends up looking good.
    I have to say that without all of you costumers, the ones that know who I am, my beskar'gam would probably look like crap. Ive recieved alot of tips, and help, and crit that others obviously either dont get or dont care about.
    We should definitely support one another to make the best we can. I just want to thank you all for getting me into an awesome hobby.

soo umm.... i read most o fthis. yes cool! love the topic think its moven great.... but what about modifying the armor? more important the breast plates? your considerd jango or boba because that is common, but what about changeing it? i said you btw cause i haven;t made a boba or jango, did help my friend though.

and i have herd say that there were many mando clan and Jango and bob balong to the fetts?.. am i right?

I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    From
    Laughlin, NV

Well I am posting in this thread, because as of late, I have seen some cases of people saying things about customs...that..really kinda, not really bug me, but make me think.

I have seen posts of things like "That is really a CUSTOM" and so on, in different threads, over the past two days.

My thoughts about those types of comments: Nothing is truly custom, and the fact is, almost everything goes off of some sort of inspiration. No matter how cool, or out of the ordinary, or "non-traditional", it went off of something.

Especially with Mando costumes, the only reason we have Mandos is because of Boba and Jango Fett, then came the EU on them.

My question: What are the other mandos then if some people think they are not entirely "custom" ?
    Just because they go "traditional" with their costume doesn't make it any less of a costume.

I used both, Jango and Boba parts on my costume, why? Because I can't make anything completely by hand, I don't have access to moulds and fiberglass, and things of that nature. Even the people who make something out of the ordinary go off of something already made.

There isn't a difference between any custom mandos, some are just better than others by quality, nothing is entirely Custom.

I agree with the Clayster and I'm glad you pulled this out of the depths because this is an interesting argument.

Its also kind of disconcerting when I see people painting the same old Rubies helmet exactly the same as say...a Jango and then just changing the blue to say...red. There's a little more that I think should go into a custom and I definitely see that in Marrow Sun's work in the Dented Variant forum.
    Also, I think the mismatching of the Jango/Boba gear is a good way to "mix it up ."

My question: What are the other mandos then if some people think they are not entirely "custom" ?
    Just because they go "traditional" with their costume doesn't make it any less of a costume.
    The Clayster, you shouldn't feel slighted that some people don't consider a "mix and match" or a "Jango repaint" an entirely "custom" mando. It's just the way some people are. Some consider that the classic "Jango repaint" to not be custom enough, others on the other hand, believe that it is. In truth, it's much like you said, not everyone has the resources or the skill to "remake" custom parts. It's a bit like cars, there has to be a base to build on, so you are correct in saying that nothing is completely custom, unless it is built from the ground up.

In all honesty, a custom mando should still be recognized as mandalorian, and if you do get called boba or Jango, then I believe you can take it both ways, either "yay, I look mandalorian enough to be mistaken for boba or Jango" or "bummer, I guess I'm not custom enough and still get mistaken for boba or Jango" and seriously, both reactions are totally legitimate. After all, you are doing the costume mostly for yourself.

I personally think that some customs really are overdone, while some just add that little extra to make their customs stand out from the crowd, a different helmet, a different armor plate setting or an outlandish accessory. All in all, yes I do believe that a custom is slightly more than just a repaint, but that's just my opinion, I don't believe that you have to build your custom part by part and make it completely different from the model it is based off of, since obviously, you still want it to be recognized as mandalorian.

I wouldn't worry too much about nay-sayers, because like I've said, not everyone has the skill or the resources to make or buy a scratch-built costume part(s). Much like "real-world" mandalorians, you do with what you have, and if it gets the job done, then it shouldn't matter what tools you are using.

As long as the effort you put in building it, and the end result makes you happy, then it shouldn't matter if anyone says it's not "custom" enough for their tastes. Remember, everyone has an opinion, and as long as they're not being rude to you, you should be able to respect it even if you disagree. (and vice-versa)

As for the rest of the thread; there will be colors that will be used more than others, black, for example is a very dominant color scheme among customs, and why not, it's considered "badäss" to be in black. Similarly, white is also very popular. On the other end of the spectrum, silver and green are avoided colors, specifically by those who don't want to be called boba or Jango.

The "multi-colored war" is still there, the contrast and the amount of variety is not just as pronounced. If you think about it, whole mandalorian squads could decide to be all in the same color scheme so that there is some form of "unity" in their group, or they could decide they much rather have individually colored armor so they can easily recognize each other. Either way, there's no right or wrong decision.

As for standards, the "looking like it could have stepped of a movie set" could work as a base, but then again, not everyone has the same standards as to what would constitute like looking as if it just stepped of a movie set either. So you see, unless there is a unique organization that will "standardize" custom mandalorian armor quality (much like the 501st), there will always be discrepancies and levels of quality in armor.

Ideally, our little group should be honest and give constructive criticism instead of saying that everything looks good, or "yuck" your custom looks bad. Honesty among the custom-builders is the only way we can assure that the level of standards for custom mandos will be elevated.

Comments like "another Jango repaint" doesn't help, but "hmmm, I personally think that it looks too much like Jango, maybe you can tweak the paint job a bit" is already a bit more helpful. Praise and criticism is good, but it should always be constructive.

From
    Shallotte, NC

As a member of the 501st and a Dented Variant, I feel I have a certain bond with both groups, but I have always and will always be a Mandalorian fan at heart. When I first saw Star Wars around 15 years ago, as a 7-year old, I was hooked by Boba Fett. The rest of the characters in the trilogy were cool, but none of them came close to the affection I had for the Fett man and his T-visor.

The 501st is an elite costuming group dedicated to the canon Star Wars universe. I find it frustrating to have spent so much time and money on a canon trooper outfit only to have someone criticize me and the rest of the 501st for not accepting any and all SW costumes submitted for membership. It undermines the credibility of the organization to let in any old person with an unworked latex trooper mask or a Rubies helmet. It's not discrimination, it's just the way the group works. You can't hold a grudge against the members of the 501st for sticking to the original goal of the group. I think that a group like the Mandalorian Mercs is exactly what's needed to satisfy the needs of the collective custom Mandalorian popuation.

That said, I find absolutely nothing wrong with custom Mandalorians. There were millions of them over the years, and no two of them looked the same. Different color schemes and armor pieces and weapons are a great way to add personality and a unique touch to a set of armor.

I do, however, tend to shy away from some of the more "Earthy" armor pieces, like soccer gear. I'm not saying that they can't be made to look "Star Warsy," but most of the time they are very easy to pick out for what they are. I also tend to avoid crossover armor pieces, like predator gear (left looking exactly like predator gear), as I see it purely as a novelty. Also, there needs to be at least SOME resemblance to known Mandalorian armor, otherwise anyone can take any outfit at all and say it's a "custom Mandalorian." The T-Visor (the only apparent consistency over the thousands of years) or the chest plates or something needs to be there to somehow identify it as Mandalorian.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Summary:

- 501st is for high-quality, canon costumes. Deal with it. lol
    - Customs are great, but should adhere to at least a minimal amount of recognizability
    - Sports padding and other "Earthy" armor is hard to disguise.
    - Mandalorian Mercs is a great idea.
    - Above everything else...

Vode an.