Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jun 12, 2009, 1:16 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #51

Yeah Kal, I wish I would have started this a month ago. It would have been fun to bounce ideas around. I'll be content to watch and learn. Ive sent a few PM's about the FM chest armor, nothing back yet. Hope to see some more progress shots soon vod, don't let me catch up to you
    Mike
    Jun 12, 2009, 4:57 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #52

Yeah I'm having the same problem with the fem armor... also a little bit delayed due to cost and the fact that my wife is trying to lose weight so... lol obvious delays there since i don't want to have to resize it ten times. I'm making changes to the actual designs so I'll post those soon.
    Jun 12, 2009, 8:21 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #53

Awesome, vod! The bronze is shweeet. Kandosii!
    Jun 12, 2009, 9:13 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #54

thanks!
    Jun 12, 2009, 9:24 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #55

I love the hammered look copper, I used it on my first set of black & purple armor, trying to get an acid burn look, I like how it turned out.

I just did a minor update on my white fang bucket if you wanna check it out.
    Jun 13, 2009, 11:56 AM - Re: Custom Mandos #56

glad u like it! I'm actually trying to find the right paint for the shoulders and the material for the vest and FS... I got plastic to start my gauntlets with, we'll see how those turn out I guess. But first... I have to mow the yard, and then... off to the range! I've got a M9 qual coming up and haven't shot in over 6 months... oh boy...lol

Kal
    Jun 14, 2009, 3:15 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #57

Okay, here's the new dope on our mandos. Fi is no longer wanting to be a sniper, since she's studying to be a nurse, she's decided to go with the whole medic route. I am maintaining my Air Liason Officer/scout functions but I will not be a "sniper" instead, I'll be going with the term... Squad Designated Marksman. Our armor schemes are definately finished now, we're both doing away with the cloaks, She's going to a Kama and I'm going with a Shemagh wrapped around the neck. As for the colors on mine... since they're hard to distinguish, My plates are Italian olive and Wildcat Blue, with grey primer on the cheeks of the helmet. Her plates are Wildcat Blue, black and white. Both of us have hammered copper metallic Krylon for the basecoat to give it that bronze beskar'gam appearance where the "weathering" has been added. Fi's new weapon is a modified MandalVerp Compact PDW.
    Jun 14, 2009, 3:15 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #58

Jun 14, 2009, 3:16 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #59

10. Nevu440
    Jun 14, 2009, 3:33 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #60

Some awesome drawing skills there ner'vod. Looks really good! Can't wait to see the construction of them! Good luck!
    Jun 14, 2009, 3:39 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #61

thank you, thank you very much. Mine's about 50% finished, her mando's not started yet... I'll be painting up some shoulder plates very soon AND... I'm hoping to get my Flightsuit and Vest sewn up within the next 2 weeks.
    Jun 16, 2009, 10:01 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #62

UPDATES!!! and... PICTURES!!! lol Here's the completed (almost) vest for my custom mando... still working out a few kinks... my wife even said she's impressed with how it turned out. I'm going to be using a cut up old t-shirt and some padding for the lining... will be putting a roll over edge around it in the grey vinyl and probably going to be reworking the shoulder pads a little... and yes, that's a Commander Cody style comlink booster antenna on the right shoulder, gotta talk to our flyboys!

Kal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0864.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	34305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0865.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	34306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0866.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	34307  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0867.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	34308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0868.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	34309  
    Jun 17, 2009, 7:05 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #63

Haha, hooah to the antenna! Good work there kal'ika. Kandosii, vod! Glad the vest is working out. I assume you got that figured out without my nonexistent help(sorry about that, I havent been on for a while) and it looks great too!
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jun 17, 2009, 7:42 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #64

Still following your husband/wife build! Nice color choices. A Mando Medic?AwEsOmE....totally kicks bum. As another matter of coincedence..my wife's a nurse too (an RPN at a nursing home)....very cool. Ill keep watching. What are you doing about buckets.....I could buy mine (though Im probably not going to) but my wife has a small melon, so If I go full custom and scuplt my own, the two buckets will be different sizes. Take
    care.
    Mike
    Jun 17, 2009, 8:16 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #65

Well Ordeyn... I wouldn't say that. I used my issued vest from work for a pattern; laid the vinyl over it and went to cutting in the shape of a mando vest using yours for reference. I'm having to redo my antenna unfortunately... I put it on at the wrong angle and it pegs me in the face when I put my vest on (crazy I know).

Miqt... Thanks for the compliments, yeah it took seeing a young vod named Isabet Reau's mando before I thought of the medic role. As for bu'cuiise I plan on making both, but I may have to buy them due to lack of skill in that department. I will be making my own gauntlets now... I'm planning on doing a few special tricks with those. We wear different sizes too actually, but with her hair braided properly she should be able to fit the same size bucket.

Kal
    Jun 17, 2009, 8:33 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #66

I hope you don't mind if I laugh but I read "...pegs me in the face..." and couldn't help it. Are you going to shorten it or something? Or just tilt it a few degrees?
    Jun 17, 2009, 10:04 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #67

Kandosii Kal'ika!!! Looking good!!! This is the first time ive seen the final drawing (must have missed it somehow...), and that is AWESOME!!!
    Jun 18, 2009, 9:07 AM - Re: Custom Mandos #68

lol thanks a'den, and yeah Ord'ika it's funny I know... I laughed myself when it happened... I don't want to shorten it, I just finished changing the cant and tilt on it, hopefully that will correct the problems.

It's hard finding time to work on it right now... and money! lol I'm working long days right now... and still short on cash. I'm out of blue paint now! lol Once I have my vest finished I'll start my gauntlets and when those are done I'll be starting my Cyar'ika's (Fi's) armor.

Her name is Felicia... I've called her Fi since before Karen published the Republic Commando series and ironically...lol but it fits her well, so that is her mando's name as well.
    Jun 18, 2009, 3:06 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #69

Quote kal'ika said: View Post
    lol thanks a'den, and yeah Ord'ika it's funny I know... I laughed myself when it happened... I don't want to shorten it, I just finished changing the cant and tilt on it, hopefully that will correct the problems.

It's hard finding time to work on it right now... and money! lol I'm working long days right now... and still short on cash. I'm out of blue paint now! lol Once I have my vest finished I'll start my gauntlets and when those are done I'll be starting my Cyar'ika's (Fi's) armor.

Her name is Felicia... I've called her Fi since before Karen published the Republic Commando series and ironically...lol but it fits her well, so that is her mando's name as well.
    Money, money, money! If only we were all millionaires.
    Jun 18, 2009, 3:10 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #70

Quote Ordeyn said: View Post
    Money, money, money! If only we were all millionaires.
    Then we'd pay someone else to make our armour for us, and that just wouldnt be as fun!
    Jun 18, 2009, 4:28 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #71

how true! lol on the plus side... I have the stuff to make my gauntlets already so I guess I'll start working on that tonight maybe, I have a fitness test coming up sometime soon so I'm having to really work my butt off trying to max it.
    Jun 20, 2009, 11:24 AM - Re: Custom Mandos #72

Okay vode... I need some help here. I'm working on my gauntlets, but they're not turning out quite the way I want them to. I need suggestions, I think maybe it's the material I'm working with is too think and tough... but I wanted the tougher plastic for the base. Also, I have a design idea I wanted to run by everybody. Instead of the usual "rocket" shaped conical blaster on the left gaunt... I'm wanting to throw on something different. I'm puting a "vibroblade" in a retracable configuration in the front of the left gauntlet since I'm left handed. I was thinking about putting a "tri-shot" wrist blaster like the droids use on SW Battlefront. It'd probably be a three barrel configuration with a slight offset to get some spread. I'm imagining using this as a CQB self defense weapon.
  23. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jun 21, 2009, 11:16 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #73

What material are you working with thats so tough? Post a pic? I like to work with 0.080 and 0.125 HIPS PVC is just fine too. My plan for the 4 gauntlets that I'll be into will involve PVC pipe forming the under portion, I think a vinyl hinge, or magnets, or seamless, and a HIPS custom upper. Ill mock it up in cardboard or leftover foamboard (yuck) and then just start building boxes with the HIPS using dremel and guck to round some edges. I like the idea of the tri-shot esp. since I hav'nt seen that yet!
    Mike
    Jun 22, 2009, 4:10 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #74

umm... trying to use left over trashcan scraps for the actual gauntlet and the detailing is going to be done up with sintra for sale signs. Those I don't expect problems with... but the trashcan plastic is not forming properly... even though it worked fine for the rest of my armor.
  25. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jun 28, 2009, 9:37 PM - Re: Custom Mandos #75

How are those gauntlets coming along? Will the FS signs be strong enough? I was thinking 4" or even 6" pvc pipe cut length-wise for the bottom shell and Styrene in .060 for the top....nice and rigid, magnetic closure probably. Can you get Styrene (HIPS) where you are, or have you ever worked with it? Its very forgiving and dead easy to make anything boxy
    (like gaunt tops). Once its hot its a pain like any other thermoplastic if its heated unevenly.....or even if its heated evenly its still a pain IMO. Its got that critical few moments to it that metal doesnt have. |-( doh!
    Hope you're still clipping along (time for a fresh pic or 2 don't ya think)
    Mike