Page 1 of 31 12345611 ... LastLast

Custom Mando :D (Pic Heavy)

From
    USA

Custom Mando :D (Pic Heavy)

Okay, well, I rather poorly introduced myself on the introduction forums so...HI! My name's Caroline(Yes, I'm a girl). Call me whatever you like, but Ordeyn or CAN would be fine. I live in the USA and speak English (...I only know how to say "I don't speak English" in English )

Anyways, more important things like armor! I decided to do a custom before I did a Jango or Boba so I could make some mistakes and get the hang of things on the not-so-professional armor. Though, I hope it does turn out nice and I'm sure it will. My plan is to sorta go for a FemMando but not really. But that's more because my templates are for Jango (I think) and not a girl. It'll be interesting.
    I cut my armor from a oval trash can (yay for tin snips!). Kudos to the genius who thought up that one! Here it is, all sanded and prettied up...sorry its so big...

And that's as far as I've gotten. Question time! Other than getting more materials for more armor, what should I do with what I have? Can I do anything? What else do I need? Any and all advice would be amazing! And helpful forums I haven't stumbled across yet.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Ordeyn; Jun 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM.

From
    Midlands UK

Re: Custom Mando :D

Well I would say that a custom mandolorian armour is just that, so when it comes to what you can do, well, the sky's the limit.

I have a few suggestions and please forgive me if I am teaching you to suck eggs

You may want to look into modifying the chest plate if you are a lady, as the plates may move due to the different design of the female form. But that's only if you intend to wear it, unless of course you are intending the princess leia bra method!

First things first, You may want to make your dents, damages and marks first, as you are using plastic (I think) you can use a soldering iron for welding type scratches and holes, a craft knife to make marks. The best tool for the job though is a dremel, though you might not want to buy it, though it is absolutely invaluable, I wouldn't have been able to build my stormtrooper kit without it.

You will need to prime your armour, to ensure that you have a good base to start your painting. So get yourself some from a DIY or car shop and spray it down. I like to smooth out the primer between coats with wet and dry paper to iron out any knicks and dents.

There are also two styles to painting, layered and topical, so it is your choice how you approach it.

Layered starts off with a silver paint base layer (after priming) then you mask off areas with tape, latex masking fluid (copydex works by the way) and sometimes even mustard! You build up the layers of paint and then remove the masking and you get a nice finish.

The topical part is where you go the opposite way, you paint the helmet in the colours you want and build the damage into it by painting silver scratches etc.

You can mix layered and topical methods.

But before that, design, design, design! Make sure you have the concept of what your armour will look like before you start all the shennannigans of painting it as you will have fixed goals to aim for and it will take you less time to work out how to do things.

Hope that helps you and good luck, will be eager to see your progress

From
    USA

Thank you, Saz, that answers a lot of my questions. Do you(or anybody) know if the armor from the can be heated in some way and bent? I forgot to ask 'bout that.

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Hi Caroline, welcome aboard!!!

You can heat the plastic with a heat gun, then mold it to fit the shape you want. OR, my favorite way, is to pop it into the oven and heat it that way. The heat gun is easy to use, but the oven gives better heat distrabution. Hope this helps!!!

Best O' Luck,
    A'den

From
    Midlands UK

Make sure you stick it on a baking tray and not the rack though

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Saz. said: View Post
    Make sure you stick it on a baking tray and not the rack though
    ...Unless you like perfect grill marks on your armour...

From
    USA

A'den Kyramud said: View Post
    ...Unless you like perfect grill marks on your armour...
    Always! Fear my roasting wrath...

Oven sounds like a good idea. I'd actually thought about it 'cos I was experimenting with milk jugs to see if I could somehow layer it to make armor. Crazy I know, but that's what I'm for! I will definitely test the oven out with scraps and see how that goes. Thanks!

CAN

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Ordeyn said: View Post
    Always! Fear my roasting wrath...

Oven sounds like a good idea. I'd actually thought about it 'cos I was experimenting with milk jugs to see if I could somehow layer it to make armor. Crazy I know, but that's what I'm for! I will definitely test the oven out with scraps and see how that goes. Thanks!

CAN

milk jugs...hmmm...how does that work? Interesting idea...keep us updated!!!

A'den

From
    Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

just an idea here. i tore my dad's shop apart lookin for a heat gun, to no avail. then I considered the oven method, but finally what I did was sit a 6 gallon pot full of water on the stove top and brought it to a low boil. I then dropped the plates in one at a time, waited for 3 mins, pulled them out with tongs, and formed the soft plastic by hand. it wasnt very soft, so 5-10 mins might better. I still have to form my leg and shoudler pieces, so im going to try longer times.

i just like the boiling water technique cuz its very simple and theres minimal chance of melting the armor or burning it up. the oven idea would probably work great if you kept your eye on it.

good luck! keep us posted!

From
    USA

I thought about boiling it but I didn't know what would happen to it or how long I would have to work with it before it cooled. I'll definitely try that too and compare it with the oven. Thanks!

Update soon...

CAN

From
    Recently relocated to the Hoth-like Minnesota

I personally like a good heat gun. You will have temp control to prevent overheating, and it is fast, and direct heat source. I think everyone can have different results with different methods, so I would try a few and see which one works best for you. Welcome to TDH.

From
    USA

Okay, I kinda sorta have an update. I just completed my experiments with trash can and milk jug scraps. I'm pretty happy with the results and I think I'll just boil my armor cos it's easiest for me atm.

Hehe, it's mostly pics.

1st pic: the pieces, stove, and meatloaf there in the corner that my brother managed to drop in the sink Quite skillful.
    2nd pic: better shot of scaps.
    3rd pic: I put notes there, I promise ...I'm so technical, LoL.
    4th pic: my amazing cow oven mit!
    5th pic: boiling water and first test on trash can scrap. That one was in for 5 min.
    6th pic: the 5 min scrap.
    7th pic: milk jug scrap that softened immediately.
    8th pic: (wow this is a lot) shows how soft that jug scrap got.
    9th pic: Hehe...I got hungry.
    10th pic: (last one, I promise) a trash can piece boiled for 10 min. I had to cool it with water to make it hold its shape.

That was exciting! Probably one of the most random things I've done this month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn7067-jpg   dscn7069-jpg   dscn7070-jpg  

dscn7071-jpg   dscn7079-jpg   dscn7081-jpg  

dscn7086-jpg   dscn7087-jpg   dscn7097-jpg  

dscn7101-jpg  

From
    i live in a small town in Norway, Scandinavia

looking good!

im doing a mix. some of my parts are too big to fit my oven so i had to use a heat gun.

any ways, keep it up!

P.S
    have you decided on a color scheme?

From
    Northern Illinois, U.S.A

Those are some good pics (especially the "I got hungry" one)!

Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

From
    If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Theres a couple of femmemando topics here that you might want to check out too, just to see what they did for the armor. Good luck and keep at it!

From
    Mandalore,NC

looking good keepit coming!!!

From
    USA

Thanks! I'll be sure to go scout out some femmando stuff.

Hehe, color scheme...

From
    If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

What color scheme are you looking at? Do you have one in mind?

From
    USA

Well, maybe like dark blue, black and white. I'm really not sure yet and have been enjoying myself with colored pencils for a while But blue, black and white is the general idea for now.

From
    Mandalore,NC

oooo thats gonna look nice cant wait for it

From
    Jersey representin'

As a girl myself, color scheme was the first thing I decided on for mine, lol.

My initial color choices I ended up not liking when I used that Mando Color thing (which I'd link but says file not found now). I like the idea of blue, black, and white, it would have an almost maritime look which is cool. You may very well change like I did, but whatever colors you decide on will be great I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing it done.

From
    USA

Yay! Updaaaaate! I shaped the armor:

I kinda just stuck it into the boiling water for a few seconds and then cooled it immediately with, gee, what do ya know, COLD water. Worked pretty well. The shapes not perfect but close enough for me.

Hey, I'm going into to town tomorrow and I'll be trying to find some bondo and paint primer and paints(maybe). Any good stores you guys prefer? Primer brands? Good bondo? Any advice will be great, thanks!

From
    San Diego

a little late, but welcome aboard Caroline, nice to see that this aint a mens only club, I'm still tryin to get the wifey to let me make her a set of beskar'gam, maybe after she see's me and our 3 boys marchin at her

remember custom is custom, do what YOU want and if you make a nice chest plate, try to make a pull and sell it. I've been in contact with Rotton and he's almost ready to sell his 'b' size and 'c/d' size.

From
    USA

Haha, you guys HAVE to get a group shot once your all geared up.

adonian said: View Post
    remember custom is custom, do what YOU want and if you make a nice chest plate, try to make a pull and sell it. I've been in contact with Rotton and he's almost ready to sell his 'b' size and 'c/d' size.
    Yeah, I may do that if this armor doesn't work out. But I'm stubborn and will force that trash can into submission! Muahahaha! ...

Thank you for the welcome.

Edit: I should probably tell you what I bought since I'm back from town (obviously). Okay, I got some velcroe(industrial strength) and primer. I'll post pic's later when I'm finished priming the armor.

From
    USA

Picture time!

Second coat, btw.