I've been looking around on this sit for a few weeks, and now that it's Spring Break, we decided to start work on my armor - I was going to wait, seeing as I'm not even finished growing, but was goaded into it by the mention of making one set cheap to get some practice.
Due to a lack of Sintra, Foamex, etc., we bought the biggest, cheapest storage container we could find. We bought a material that was very leather-like for the vest. We traced out the rough size of the armor using several pieces of paper taped together. Once we were happy with the shape of the armor, I traced it onto the storage container and with some help cut out the armor pieces. Next, I scrounged up a heat gun, and we shaped the armor with a curve to conform to me. After we let them dry, we spray-painted the armor with my red of choice, and we will rivet the pieces to the current vest, and then we'll move on to the shoulder pieces, and eventually, the leg armor. At the moment, we cannot find a helmet to use for a Mandalorian helmet, so we will likely be ordering a helmet to work on later. At the moment, we are going to use a one-piece Rubies Jango (which barely fits me) and we're going to spray-paint it, etc. for the moment. I will post pictures as we go.