Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Jul 28, 2009, 11:45 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #51

Well, I feel stupid. Isn't that one of the things mandos are known for. Just pick something up and make it work!! Thanks apparently I need a cup of coffee to wake me up better.
  2. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Aug 1, 2009, 4:29 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #52

After a few hours of searching, I'm getting a little cross-eyed. Can anyone direct me to a post or tutorial on building ear pieces out of plastic? I really need help with this.
    Aug 1, 2009, 4:34 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #53

You don't have to use plastic, you can use cardboard then reinforce with resin
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Aug 31, 2009, 8:29 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #54

OK, I know I have really been slow at this. Helmet is almost finished, and I will post pics of progress this week. Also, I have decided to go ahead and work on the armor while I am waiting for funds to buy more supplies for helmet. The part I am concerned about is the codpiece. Can anyone help me to understand exactly how much it should curve and a good way to go about making heavy plastic bend and stay? This is really important to me, as I have only two months left to show everyone at my in-laws' bar what real costuming looks like.
    Aug 31, 2009, 11:30 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #55

i wish i could help you with the curve but i too am new to this but as for bending heavy plastic... what type of plastic is it? how heavy? i would think there could be a few things. heat gun or hair dryer depending on how thick it is, there is also hot water... i have used the hair dryer and hot water method my self and would just run it under cold/room temp water from the sink, i would then dry it off and stick it in the freezer just to be sure to lock in the shape

as for the concept art?? thats freakin awesome!!! i wish i could draw that good and be that accurate! would you be willing to draw a blank one for those of us without drawing talent?? that way we could print it out and color it in like a coloring book?

great work so far and good luck on finishing it up in time!!!!
    Sep 1, 2009, 8:27 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #56

Like all cod pieces, it needs to be big enough to hold the meat and two veg comfortably, so you will have to size to your own manhood.

That said, the curve is fairly easy when you break it down into its component shapes, glue the components together, smooth out with car body filler and you should be done fine

If you are not going for Boba or Jango, then the cod can be of anyshape as long as it's a cup.
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 1, 2009, 9:15 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #57

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the help. I will be posting pics again, soon. So stay tuned and let me know what you think.
    As for the concept art, I can easily do a blank. The problem is getting me to actually put it out there for all of you. If you really want me to I will put forth the effort. However, they have a small program called mando-maker somewhere around here if you want the easy way out.
    Sep 2, 2009, 11:06 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #58

B^) i know i would appreciate it if you would B^) and as for the mando maker i have used it but the problem i find with it is that its at an odd angle and not a frontal view where as yours is and is much better detailed. B^)

keep up the good work you have inspired me!! cant wait to get working on my armor!! B^)
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 4, 2009, 2:57 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #59

ok not a problem. The one posted here is actually on this computer; tell me where to send it, and I will. If you want one that is a little more detailed, I will try, and it will take a lot of patience and hounding.
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 9, 2009, 9:06 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #60

ok, someone asked how thick the plastic is. Here is a pic of my "Brawny" brand trash can with all of the templates taped around it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint 001.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	36110  
  11. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 9, 2009, 9:18 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #61

I, then, traced around the templates with a marker. Took it all outside, and with my drimmel, I cut the pieces out. Broke about ten heavy cutting wheels in the process but it was worth it. Then, I sanded the edges a bit to clean them up. I tried the boiling water method to bend the ones that needed it, and it worked fine Thanks for that one, guys. It really helped.

Name:	paint 003.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	36111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint 004.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	36112  
    Sep 9, 2009, 9:21 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #62

hey hey great job! The boiling trick didn't work for me, ended up doing it with a heat gun and a bath tub full of ice water... heat it, bend it, dunk it...lol then stuck it in the refridgerator for 24 hrs! lmao ur stuff looks good so far, keep up the good work!
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 9, 2009, 9:30 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #63

Now, back to the helmet. After putting it all together, as seen above, it felt a little flimsy, so I cut a brass craft ring to fit from cheek to cheek. I used tape to hold it in place, and then hot glued it. Doing this actually helped the overall shape of the helmet by flaring the cheeks a little. I had thought that my helmet looked a little too straight, and this solved that little problem for me. Then, thinking a little reinforcement might help, (hot glue sometimes comes loose) I bought a can of spray-in bed liner for trucks. Remembering this little trick from someone else's post around here somewhere, I sprayed the entire can into the helmet inside. No way is this stuff gonna come lose.

Name:	paint 002.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	36113  
  14. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 9, 2009, 9:37 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #64

Thanks kal'ika. I will be moving on to the painting momentarily. In the meantime, here is a pic of helmet and armor prior to painting laid out on my flight suit.

Name:	paint 005.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	36114  
    Sep 9, 2009, 9:40 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #65

not bad... so going with a green flightsuit? Shew... I have to wear those things enough as is... I wanted a grey one, but I'm begining to think I'm gonna go with a more AF style suit, since it is an AFSOC mando.
    Sep 9, 2009, 9:55 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #66

Amazing! Such an inspiration for a two day member. I as wondering if all these "pros" just made it look easy. I'm not saying you don't have skills, you do.
  17. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 11, 2009, 9:57 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #67

We apparently make it look easy. Trust me it isn't always like that. Take a look at the dates on my posts. That wasn't always idle time, it was also screw-ups and a lot of head scratching. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the ears.

Now, for the painting: first, I used a grey primer over everything. Next up, metallic paint over the primer. Fill damage areas and paint primer over that. Fill damage areas more, put on grey paint. Take out filler so that "damage" cuts through paint and primer to "metal".

First pics: Primer

Name:	paint 006.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	36132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint 007.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	36133  
  18. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 11, 2009, 10:04 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #68

Next comes the metallic paint. I was a little disappointed with this at first. It was supposed tp look like chrome, but after a little while it looked alright.

Name:	paint 008.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	36134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint 009.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	36135  
  19. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 11, 2009, 10:11 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #69

And the grey paint. I am currently peeling out the wax I filled the damage spots with. It was suggested somewhere else to use liquid latex, but I am out of that. I don't recommend using wax, it's a pain in the butt.

Name:	paint 010.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	36136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint 011.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	36137  
  20. Sep 11, 2009, 10:24 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #70

Great progress Bren, ossim scratchbuild!
  21. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Sep 12, 2009, 11:40 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #71

Looks great!
  22. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Sep 24, 2009, 12:45 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #72

More pics coming soon, I have actually finished painting the body of the helmet. Now, I have to make the ear pieces and paint them before mounting them on the helmet. I am off today to try to find something to use as a base for my gauntlets, and what will become my visor. I am running out of time to try to complete this before the end of Oct., but I am really liking what I see.
  23. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Oct 2, 2009, 6:15 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #73

Picked up a plastic face shield. Will have to apply tint to make it dark enough, though. Then, I'll cut it out and lock it in the helmet. Will post pics of that when finished. Almost finished painting the front pieces of the armor. I will post those when that is done. Boots are now black, and ready for me to make armor pieces for them.

Now, one question: How should the cod piece and back belt be attached. Should it hang from the belt, attach to the bottom of the flack vest, or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  24. Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Oct 2, 2009, 6:49 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #74

Great Pics! That trashcan idea looked great and easy, I'm gonna go buy one tonight, I'm starting my armor today!
    Oct 2, 2009, 7:10 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #75

Quote BrenSett said: View Post
    Picked up a plastic face shield. Will have to apply tint to make it dark enough, though. Then, I'll cut it out and lock it in the helmet. Will post pics of that when finished. Almost finished painting the front pieces of the armor. I will post those when that is done. Boots are now black, and ready for me to make armor pieces for them.

Now, one question: How should the cod piece and back belt be attached. Should it hang from the belt, attach to the bottom of the flack vest, or what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    where did you find the face shield at vod? been looking here in florida can't find them anywhere.