Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 26, 2009, 12:13 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #26

Quote BrenSett said: View Post
    Jeez, anyone know what size to make pics so they don't pull up as thumbs? The first pic was 8" wide. I dropped the two helm pics to 6" wide, and they're still too big. I'll try dropping to 4 next time.
    If you can, work in pixels not inches and you'll find that you'll have fewer problems when posting pics online. At the smallest I'd size your pictures at 640x480 at 72 dpi and 800x600 at 72 dpi at the largest and you should be able to post full sized on most boards, anything larger than that your pics are likely to get resized.
    Feb 26, 2009, 1:09 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #27

I love watching scratch built jobs! Keep up the good work and remember to keep us posted!
    Feb 26, 2009, 1:26 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #28

I took the "stuffing" out of the helmet, and sanded it a little with heavy grit to rough it up a bit around the holes to make sure bondo would stick well. I couldn't help but smile during this. There's just something about buying something that is perfectly good just so you can mess it up Anyway, I filled the holes with bondo and let it dry, did some rough sanding, and went back over it with more bondo to fill really bad spots. Sanded more, and am about to use filler to take care of small places. Here are a couple of shots of the helmet.

From someone who also used a helmet to create the basic shape, take a piece of advice from me. You will need to cut the helmet so it will sit square onto the lowerpiece, this is around where those metal pins are that are holding the chin strap. I didn't cut square and tried to cut around the metal pins instead and made a right mess.

I wished I had cut a "V" from underneath and took out the pins before planning my work as it would have saved me a LOT of repair work. I'd also sand all the way so that you can just see bondo hole shapes, it will smooth out when you come to put the primer on and give it several goes with wet and dry paper. A bit of extra work, but worth it

The primer also helps you to see dinks.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Feb 27, 2009, 4:39 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #29

Went back in with the filler, and sanded the whole thing smooth. I left two of the holes in the back for more air and a more custom look. I thought about the problem of getting the interior mask to lay flat on the helmet with those two pins sticking out, and I'm not sure how I'm going to get around that. I do understand what you mean about the things, but I kinda want to keep the chin strap attached for more secure fitting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armor 001.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	32206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armor 002.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	32207  
  5. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Feb 27, 2009, 4:50 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #30

These are my boots. I am going to restain them until they are black. Then, I will attach "metal" plates to the parts where you see the white stitching( these were racing logos). I tried resizing, as suggested, and it still doesn't seem to work. The first pick is 640 pixels at 72 dpi. The second is even smaller.

Name:	armor 003.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	32208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armor 004.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	32209  
    Feb 27, 2009, 4:57 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #31

Nice boots! And your bucket is coming along. Pic size is no prob for me, no worries.
  7. Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Feb 27, 2009, 10:08 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #32

I love your designs for yuo and your wife. It seems you've put alot of thought into this. Always a good thing!

The boots are a nice touch! They are definitly differnt.
  8. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Mar 13, 2009, 6:28 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #33

Thanks for all the support, guys. It really helps (even when life seems to constantly get in the way). I am still having trouble with the bucket. I cut out the inner surface, and wrapped it around the helmet. It was about a 1/4 inch too short. So, I enlarged the inner surface and made it longer. Strangely enough, it is still about 1/4 inch short?! Anyway, I am now going to measure the helmet, and use math to figure the correct distance and try again. New posts coming soon.
    Mar 15, 2009, 5:38 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #34

Do what I did, take a big piece of paper and wrap it around the helmet, then mark where they meet, you may want to use blu tac to keep the paper against the surface, but only a little mind, unfold the paper and measure the distance, that is how big it should be

Just remember that the helmet flares at the front, so you need to take that into account too.
    Mar 16, 2009, 12:32 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #35

I tried resizing, as suggested, and it still doesn't seem to work. The first pick is 640 pixels at 72 dpi. The second is even smaller.
    I think the issue might be with the board software, I think it automatically thumbnails images over a certain size. I think you might need to host the pictures yourself on a site like Photobucket and link them using the img code to embed the pictures in your post at full size. I'd just make that they're not much larger than 800x600 so they don't take up the entire screen or more and force a lot of people to have to side scroll to see the entire image.

Btw, your work looks pretty good so far. I like your concept art, I like that it looks very Mando like while at the same time it doesn't look simply like a recolored Boba or Jango.
  11. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Mar 23, 2009, 11:37 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #36

Thnx for the advice, Saz. No worries about the flare. Once I get the distance correct, I will simply take the template and lengthen it. This should keep the overall look the same. I appreciate the help and the complements, Riceball, but I am giving up on the picture issue. No one seems to be complaining about the thumbs, anyway. Next post will include more pics. Going to go see a tutorial now. Bye.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Apr 30, 2009, 2:00 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #37

Just checking in. Man, this is absolutely the largest and hardest costume undertaking I have tried. I've decided to go with trash can armor, but I'm going to try thicker trash cans. I am going to try a "brawn" if anyone knows what they are. (Big gray industrial types). I promise I will get back to work soon, but I had to take a break to get back custody of my youngest daughter. Will be back in court July, so bare with me.
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    May 17, 2009, 10:16 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #38

Finally got more done to my helmet. Have attached the inner surface and the face part. Also started working on cheek pieces.

Name:	armor 006.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	33602   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armor 007.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	33603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armor 008.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	33604  

14. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    May 17, 2009, 10:21 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #39

Had to slow down and take my time putting in the cheek plates, but little by little I did get that finished. I went ahead and cut out part of the visor slit so I could check the appearance and size ratio to the rest of my body. Finally, I have something that is really starting to look like a mando bucket.

Name:	armor 011.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	33605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armor 012.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	33606  
  15. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    May 17, 2009, 10:26 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #40

Will try to get more posts up tomorrow. I will show what I have done to the boots, so far. They are red, but will be black when I am done. I know I am being kinda sporadic here, but it's just the way I am. See ya tomorrow.
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    May 18, 2009, 11:28 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #41

ok, as promised, pics of the boots in progress. Dang things had to be red so .... very light sanding with fine grit to break up the finish on the surface. Then, covering in black shoe polish. It will take many layers to make this work, but I really like the boots for this. When I am done, I will make armor to fit the front where the racing logo was.

Name:	armor 009.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	33620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armor 010.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	33621  
    May 28, 2009, 12:40 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #42

those are nice nice boots!
  18. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    May 30, 2009, 2:55 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #43

thank you Artek, I will be working more on the helm and boots tomorrow (today, as I have not gotten to bed ). Also, will be trying to figure out how to paint rifle and not mess up the firing mechanism. It is a nerf longshot that I will be replacing the barrell with a nerf recon. It's a bit longer and heavier looking than I anticipated, but I hope will still look like a heavy scout and or sniper type.
  19. May 31, 2009, 1:27 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #44

good luck
    May 31, 2009, 3:23 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #45

i kinda like how the part of the boot you put polish on has a hint of red that shows through. The red will probably go better with your wifes color scheme. those boots are gonna look really cool.
  21. Nevu440
    Jun 10, 2009, 2:36 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #46

Any Updates??? Seems like a lot of people use the Nerf Longshot, but it works just so darn well! I was going to use one, but was out of my reach and sadly I didnt hold on to mine (Me being a teenager I had one). The boots look great! The armor one the logo spot sounds like a good idea too. Or you can just paint the logo spot with some design. It seems to be plastic there and may not require additional armor on it. Keep us posted!
  22. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Jun 12, 2009, 12:46 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #47

Thanks to everyone here!! You have all been so supportive. I printed out Alan's earpiece templates today. After looking at them, I kinda feel , so I will find a tut to help me out. The boots are coming along just fine, and I will post more pics as soon as I can. Also downloaded the Mando dictionary from Karen Travis' stuff. I am going to try to learn the language (it seems easier than Tolkien's elvish, which I gave up on ). Any advice or help on this would be appreciated. Again thank you all for your support in this, you are all fantastic.
    Jun 12, 2009, 7:39 PM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #48

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis are great though, you've got to admitt.

Mando'a isn't to hard to learn, just a LOT of memorizing--like any language. Good luck with it!
  24. Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Jul 28, 2009, 10:50 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #49

O.K. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use for ear pieces? The plastic I am using for the bucket will be good and strong when I have sprayed in bed liner, but before that it is kinda' flimsy. I am afraid that if I try to use it to support a moving range finder, that the plastic will just bend and tear.

Will be working more on the boots today, as I am not sure where to go on the helmet. (see above question)
    Jul 28, 2009, 11:18 AM - Re: Bren Sett (my custom) #50

Old mobile phone pieces, an aerial from a walkie talkie, a small torch, cut pieces of plastic toys such as guns or swords.

I haven't seen many people use cabling, as in a cable going into one part of the earpiece and then into another.

Just have a look in your loft or cellar for all those old things you never use anymore.

Christ, I even have a dental tape box in front of me that could be used as part of an assembly

Hope that helps mate!