Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 10, 2011, 3:50 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #26

I am going with a green vest, spats, neckseal and flightsuit.

LSFU vest, spats and neckseal (I supplied her with the fabric):

The neckseal is going to be attached directly to the flightsuit. All 3 of these parts are a cotton duck cloth. They are just a little deeper green than the pics.

The flightsuit is a cotton twill. Construction of the flightsuit began yesterday. My mother is making it. She was a seamtress for Saks in the 70's. I am including all of the Boba flightsuit details, except the thigh pocket flaps will be like Dala's in the group shot comic panel.

There is a subtle difference in the vest, spat, neckseal shade from the flightsuit and the armor color will be different from those. I am thinking about using a slightly darker shade of the helmet's green for the armor. Boba's armor was darker / different shade than his helmet's green right?

All the soft parts together will have some nice contrast and depth. They will be weathered accordingly too. I need to read up on how everyone weathers their flightsuits.
    Last edited by Boklast; Jul 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM.
  2. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jul 10, 2011, 4:06 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #27

i like using flat camo paints for my flight suit works really well but its permanent
  3. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 10, 2011, 4:35 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #28

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    i like using flat camo paints for my flight suit works really well but its permanent
    Are you talking spray cans that are "camo" colors? Permanent is cool with me.

Another question - Was Alan the PP2 model also? I am aiming for my flightsuit to fit like the PP2.
  4. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jul 10, 2011, 4:41 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #29

not sure who it was...the ultra flat camo cans yep...theyre dirt colors what better
    Jul 10, 2011, 6:31 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #30

Looks good. I like it.
    Jul 10, 2011, 7:51 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #31

Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Ditto, then a coat of Krylon acrylic flat clear coat. Since I was misting from so far away a lot of the paint molecules were dry by the time they hit the fabric so a lot of color rubs off.
    Last edited by BobaFiend; Jul 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM.
  7. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 11, 2011, 12:40 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #32

I've got a question for you guys -

My plan was to paint the armor the same green as the helmet's dome. But since I am following OT film canon as reference, Boba's chest armor is a slightly darker shade of green than his dome.

So I picked up Rustoleum's Meadow Green, which is about a shade darker than the green I used for Dala's dome - Tamiya Park Green / Valspar Luscious Green (an exact match to the Tamiya).

I think it will add more shade depth / richness to the total suit. What say you?
  8. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jul 11, 2011, 1:03 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #33

Heres the thing ur dome isnt the same as a Boba dome its WAY brighter looking than bobas Id stay with your comic book coloring but thats me
  9. Jul 11, 2011, 6:18 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #34

If the armor is only going to have a slight difference in shade then go for it. I wouldn't do something drastically different or anything thats closer to the colors used for Boba since you are going the comic route.

There almost seems to be a slight difference between the helmet and armor in the first comic image you posted but I know that it's only due to the surrounding colors.
  10. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 11, 2011, 7:49 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #35

No, I not talking Boba dark green for the armor. I'm talking one shade darker than the helmet's green. Here are some pics of the 2 colors side by side in varying light:

Valspar Luscious Green on left (helmet's green). Rustoleum Meadow Green on right (proposed armor color).

As stated before, my original plan was to go all Valspar Luscious Green but thought since Boba had some minor shade variation between his dome & armor I might try it too, but in Dala colors.

What do you guys think now seeing the two? Thanks for the input!
  11. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jul 11, 2011, 8:55 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #36

ahhhh that makes sense now! Yeh I say that looks like it would work well
    Jul 11, 2011, 11:14 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #37

yeah, I think a little contrast like that will be good to give some depth to the suit... You don't want to come out looking like a lime
  13. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 13, 2011, 7:02 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #38

A lime?! Haven't heard that one yet! But I have heard leprechaun!

I will be going with the darker shade for the armor.

More as soon as I received my boots from MOW & armor from FP
  14. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 21, 2011, 8:46 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #39

My MOW boots arrived!

Here are the toe spikes held up to get a feel for the look:

I just finished dyeing them with RIT golden yellow. The boots were in the dye bath for 45 minutes and look good. Now they are hanging upside down and drying. I'll post pics tomorrow night of the results! Actually, I might give them a tea bath once dry...

The plan is to weather them with acrylic paints this weekend and attached the toe spikes.

Thanks for looking!
  15. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 23, 2011, 11:21 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #40

Here we are!

The boots are still drying, but this is pretty much how they will look. Like all the other parts, they start out vivid. The weathering will take care of that.

Next up is weathering and toe spikes!
    Jul 24, 2011, 12:25 AM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #41

O.O those are bright! Look like they belong on the dance floor on a saturday night about forty years ago
    Jul 24, 2011, 5:43 AM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #42

Very interesting build! I'll be watching this one for sure
  18. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 24, 2011, 6:07 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #43

The boots are finished! I used a spray bottle with a couple squirts of black & brown acrylic paint mixed in water and sprayed on. The Mojo toe spikes are attached with flat head screws. I put some Gorilla glue (super glue tube) on the screws before screwing them in.

More soon!
  19. Jul 26, 2011, 1:31 AM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #44

The weathering came along nicely. It looks like the boots may have stained the carpet in a few places.
  20. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 26, 2011, 7:20 AM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #45

Thanks! Nah, the rug has lots of colors in it. I rinsed the boots until the water was clear and then put them outside to dry.
    Jul 27, 2011, 6:06 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #46

that looks awesome, better than it does in the comic, can't wait to see everything put together
  22. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jul 28, 2011, 9:21 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #47

Bueller....Bueller....Bueller

Any updates?
  23. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 28, 2011, 9:26 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #48

Nothing ATM. Just playing the waiting game for some items. Chris told me that my armor shipped yesterday though! Went with the dentless set.

What do you think of the boots?
  24. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Jul 28, 2011, 9:36 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #49

Id weather the bottom around the sole area...the soles as well...Id probably put the spikes on tighter as well theyre sitting off the boot kinda far
  25. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Jul 28, 2011, 9:42 PM - Re: Boklast's Tobbi Dala #50

I did not think to weather the base of the boots! Good call. I was trying to decide on the soles. Maybe go stomp in mud puddles? The darn spikes would not sit flush without bowing in the middle, so I got them as close as possible. In person they are closer to the soloe than in the pics. I think it is the angles of my shots.