Australian Mandalorain

From
    Sydney, Australia

Australian Mandalorain

Hi Everybody,

I just thought that I'll show you guys what I've been up to as of late. This helmet was contructed using Skupilkinson's Template. These photos will show that a lot of work will still needs to be done, but should give you an idea of where I'm up to. I've got some of Stormrider's Earpieces, unfortunately as beautiful as they are they did not fit my current helmet. (We working on a way around that)

I intend to complete a set of armour to go along with this Helmet. I've already got a black/Midnightblue flight suit and I'm playing around with the chest armour ideas and experiments.

Not much progress this past week as it's been raining alot and work related issues.

Any constructive ideas, suggestion and comments are always welcome. I would like to try for an Oriental look on this armour and helm. I'll get some more photos soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wip-all-3-jpg  

Re: Australian Mandalorain

Sorry I can't give you any constructive criticism at this point, but that helmet is really shaping up well. Keep up the good work.

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

It's looking great so far. Once you have it completely covered and smoothed, then we can give you some pointers. Not really much anyone can say at this point in time.

From
    Sydney, Australia

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'll most likely get a chance to do some more work on this during this weekend. i'll post some more photos then.

I've just received my Chicago screws, I'd think I've ordered the wrong size so I have used some craft foam to fill the space. Is this a acceptable alternative to using washers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails t-visor-01-jpg  

I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    From
    Yadkinville NC

As long as it works...it's acceptable. =)

From
    Wales, UK

Looking great so far buddy! Your dome is certainly off to a better start than mine was.

Keep it up buddy, it's worth it.

From
    Sydney, Australia

Thanks NovallTalon: The Work foam seems to work for now, but unitl I install it in the helmet I won't know for sure.

Skip: I'm still trying to make it even smoother!! But your Helmet still looks better!

I'm looking forward to working on this on friday!

From
    Sydney, Australia

A bit of a update,

I was able to obtain permission from Hydra to use one of her designs. Cene is his name. Thanks to her, the time that I would have spent on design can be use to construct my suit. I'll be trying to stick to Hydra's concept as much as possible, and I just love the colours she's used.

Cene will fit nicely with my martial arts background . I'll be attempting to create the spear blade with a cold cast techique I've come up with. I just love blade weapons! Apart from blade weapons that he will possess, he will have atleast one pistol with him regardless. No point in bring a Knife to a Gun fight

But all this will take place after the helmet is completed. I'll post Photos of the Helmet progress tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cene_02a-jpg  

From
    Wales, UK

Great news dude!! I love her designs and can't wait to see yet another Hydra design come to life!!

Rock on!

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Did you measure that bad boy to make your earcaps fit ?

From
    Sydney, Australia

Skupilkinson said: View Post
    Great news dude!! I love her designs and can't wait to see yet another Hydra design come to life!!

Rock on!
    Skip,

Her art work is astonishing and I'll be doing my best to reproduce that with what skill I have

Stormrider said: View Post
    Did you measure that bad boy to make your earcaps fit ?
    Mason,

No I didn't I started this helmet before your ear caps arrived . But it looks like I'll use your helmet to make Hydra's work come to life!

Well Guys,

I've got some sanding done today, I don't get much time to do it. I live in a unit and do sanding on my balcony because there is no power point in my garage. i can only make so much noise for a small peroid of time, before others start to get annoyed. I was sanding for about an hour today...then it started raining , well an hour's work is better than nothing I suppose.

I'm gonna try to make the shoulders in Metasequoia tonight and transfering them into Pepakura, fingers crossed!

Stormrider's helm came in today, so I'll more than likely use that for Cene. And I might have to bother Skip with more pep designs later if I can't do it!. Sorry mate I know your a busy man

I've attached a couple of photos, 1st is Stormrider's awesome stuff and second is current helmet progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stormridergear01-jpg   wip-04-jpg  

From
    Wales, UK

Both look pretty sweet to me fella.

Yeah I'm busy but I'm always open to do some work for ya if you need it bro. Actually I need to speak with you about this rifle I'm doing. Email to be sent.

My time gets limited for working on mine to buddy, I know what you mean about an hour is better than nothing.

From
    Sydney, Australia

I've just complete modelling Cene's Armour in Metasequoia, I'll makes some more tweeks before tranfering it over to Pepakura. I was going to Fibreglass these but decided I might stick to the Casting Resin Method, I just love the instant results . I'm hoping that my flak vest will be completed in afew weeks, by then the Armour parts should be finished.

The soft parts of the project might slow down a bit. Someone else brought a set of Grey coveralls I wanted on Ebay! These things are hard to find especially in a size I want! (44R)

By the way anyone know where or who I can get some Stormtrooper hand plates from? They looks like just what I need for this project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails comparison01-jpg   cene-hand-plate-jpg  
    Last edited by 1ManBattalion; Sep 21, 2008 at 3:42 AM. Reason: Forgot Pictures

From
    Wales, UK

Nice job bro!

I would be careful in making any armor parts too flat or boxy. Just incase it makes wearing the armor too uncomfortable. Don't be afraid to try to give it a little roundness.

That said, I think you're off to a great start!! Keep it up buddy.

As for TK handplates, I've seen a few sellers on Ebay.

From
    Sydney, Australia

I was looking at that...boxy it is, so I've now added some roundness to it. Now let's see how it fits!

It is a learning experience, a interesting one at that!

I might have solve the handplate, several members have contact me with great info and gear. Thanks Guys!

Nice job bro!

I would be careful in making any armor parts too flat or boxy. Just incase it makes wearing the armor too uncomfortable. Don't be afraid to try to give it a little roundness.

That said, I think you're off to a great start!! Keep it up buddy.

As for TK handplates, I've seen a few sellers on Ebay.

From
    Wales, UK

Cool stuff! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Are you sure on the upper set of plates. The center isnt supposed to be beveled out like you did the center, essentially making a t shape (cross) out of the beveled parts?

It looks like the beveling is supposed to follow the paint job.

Regardless, looks sweet

1ManBattalion said: View Post
    I've just complete modelling Cene's Armour in Metasequoia, I'll makes some more tweeks before tranfering it over to Pepakura. I was going to Fibreglass these but decided I might stick to the Casting Resin Method, I just love the instant results . I'm hoping that my flak vest will be completed in afew weeks, by then the Armour parts should be finished.

The soft parts of the project might slow down a bit. Someone else brought a set of Grey coveralls I wanted on Ebay! These things are hard to find especially in a size I want! (44R)

By the way anyone know where or who I can get some Stormtrooper hand plates from? They looks like just what I need for this project.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

And you can make the TK handplates really easily out of sintra. Just cut the shape, then cut the overlay shape and glue them together.

And a trick I use when I want something SUPER SMOOTH ROUNDED is once I have the shape, I pour resin over it. It will soften the shapes a LOT and make them really smooth to oot. You just then cut out the puddle parts at the bottom and sand the edges, and whoala, you have something that looks vac formed/smoothed out, but its really just a coat of glassy resin over it.

It make a NICE shiny surface too.

M2

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Pretty nice scratchbuild! Seems to be coming out quite well!

From
    Sydney, Australia

Stormrider said: View Post
    Are you sure on the upper set of plates. The center isnt supposed to be beveled out like you did the center, essentially making a t shape (cross) out of the beveled parts?

It looks like the beveling is supposed to follow the paint job.

Regardless, looks sweet
    Hey Mason,

Thanks for the input! I'm changing the chest pieces now, they'll be simular to the normal templates. But the edges will fold up to provide a rim like edge to hold the Casting resin in place. Once cured I can heat it up and bend it into shape.

Cool stuff! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Pretty nice scratchbuild! Seems to be coming out quite well!
    Thanks Guys,

Frankly I'm not sure how this is going to turn out, but I'll give it my best

I had to do a lot of washing today, so I only had time to spray afew coats on the Helmet, and I've made a shoulder piece. I'm not too happy with it, it looks a bit sharp. I'm re-doing the chest at the moment, I'll post some pics when it's finished.

Keep up the comments guys, as it helps me improve the armour!

From
    Wales, UK

No worries mate. You'll get there. Just takes time and patience.

From
    Sydney, Australia

Minor update guys, I'm overseas attending a funeral of my late Grandmother. So no pics till next week. I became a Monk for that period (It's a Buddhist thing), and now I have no hair and no eye brows! Can't wait to see what my co-workers would think about this!

From
    Wales, UK

WOW! That's pretty dedicated bro. I can hang on for pics, you do what you gotta do.

From
    Sydney, Australia

Hey Guys,

Just a quick note, I'm still doing this project. I've been busy pulling some extra Overtime to pay for my trip overseas.

I've just painted (Most of) my helmet (Pics Soon). I have to re-do one of the colours.
    The First two colours came out great, but the darker blue did not agree with the R&B I used, it just dripped everywhere it didn't want to stay on the Helm.