Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 8, 2008, 3:08 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #76

Wow!! Great concept work as well as costume construction!! Can't wait to see the final product.

Geo
    Jan 10, 2008, 12:34 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #77

I'm a busy little bumblebee with a one-track mind and nothing more substantial planned when I get out of work every night...

Therefore, I made my kama and boots.

The kama is a couple layers' worth of a 'pumpkin spice' colored cotton. It's a slightly rougher weave than normal multiuse cotton... I'm not sure what the fabric's technical name is.

Anyways, I quilted a couple of pieces together, both to keep them together and to add texture and interest to the piece. It's just a simple diagonal grid quilting, with yellow thread for accent. I also put a yellow band at the bottom for accent.

The kill stripes are red satin ribbon, so they shine quite nicely. (The drawing had a red band and yellow kill stripes but I changed my mind. :P )

There's three straps that snap around the belt up top, so I can get it on and off with the greatest of ease.

For weathering, I actually kept it fairly light. A bit of a brush-over with shoe polish, a spritz of bleach,

some paint splattering, a couple of little cuts, and a good soak and crumple for texture.

I had some desert boots that had been sitting in a closet for years, and decided to use them for my base.

First, I added some spikes to the toes. I know my original design had the 'velociraptor claw' but when I sat down and really looked at it, I decided it looked kinda dumb.

Sooo I took the pansy route out and installed some Fett-style spikes on the toes. I copied a method I read about on these boards--I can't remember who wrote about it though-- and did bent metal filled with plumber's putty.

I also did a metal strip around the heel, purely for aesthetics.

For accent I got some rubber dye and redid my soles black, to match the laces. I know, I know, 'there's no laces in Star Wars' but I like my laced boots, darnit. I dunno, I may make a canvas wrap for over the instep, but unless the canon cops come battering down my door, I probably won't.

They'll be covered from the instep up by the shin armor, anyways.

Last edited by CuteLucca; Jan 10, 2008 at 9:47 AM.
    Jan 10, 2008, 2:05 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #78

I'm using laces as well. Great for multiple uses, from a makeshift rifle sling, to keeping your boots on, to making a tourniquet or sling, to using as a garrote.

And your tutorial is gonna help me a lot when I do my costumes.
    Jan 10, 2008, 12:57 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #79

Man your really flying through this. I like the boots. Those are the one thing that I just don't know what I am going to do about. I just can't seem to find any that I like. I must say I like the little spikes better then your one big one. They just seem like a better idea.
    Jan 10, 2008, 1:12 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #80

This is a really well thought out and very well designed piece!
    Hats off to you... One could argue 'copying' an existing costume is a no brainier... I'm an ESB (But lovin it)
    Actually starting with a blank canvas and following it through to the final article... and kickin *** doing it!
    Jan 14, 2008, 10:24 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #81

As of right now, I'm 3/4 done with the coat.

I started with a old trenchcoat my friend had used on a Irvine (Final Fantasy 8 ) costume. So it was free!

First I cut off the sleeves at the elbow (please ignore our ugly apartment floor):

I sewed on the strap that holds the coat together in the back and the little sleeve buckles, then dyed the whole thing a few shades darker:

I had designed my mythosaur skull a little while ago, enlarged it up to 500%, cut out the pieces to make a template, then traced the template onto the same fabric I used for the kama.

I got some Innerfuse (stiff fuseable interfacing) and used the iron to fuse it to the orange fabric:

Then I cut out the pieces, arranged them correctly on the coat, and fused them in place with the iron. To get rid of the little bits of interfacing that were visible, and also to make it look a lot cooler, I then went around and embroidered a border around every piece.

I also embroidered the number 25 in Aurabesh on the back strap, and used a shoulder buckle from a pair of overalls so secure the strap.

Finally, I've added the shoulder armor by riveting it to the fabric.

I still have to make and embroider the collar tabs, do the weathering, And I'm debating putting the white fist logo somewhere along the bottom edge.
    Jan 14, 2008, 1:35 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #82

Lucca makes me ashamed of the little progress I've made by doing fantastic stuff like this on a weekly basis.

I'm gonna go hang my head in shame now.
    Jan 14, 2008, 5:28 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #83

Oh psh, Sam. It'll make you feel better to think of me as a loser with no social life. Your stuff is turning out awesome too, so don't you start complaining!
    Jan 14, 2008, 5:54 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #84

It's looking amazing Lucca!
    Jan 14, 2008, 6:37 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #85

Quote CuteLucca said: View Post
    Oh psh, Sam. It'll make you feel better to think of me as a loser with no social life. Your stuff is turning out awesome too, so don't you start complaining!

I'm a loser with no social life. My stuff doesn't look half that good!!

Charlie
  11. Jan 18, 2008, 2:17 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #86

Well, my excuse is I have kids. Other than that I'm a loser with no social life.

Egadd! You quilted your Kama!?!

I love all your little touches, because they are original and give me my own little ideas. At the same time, I hate how well yours is coming along, because it just keeps raising the bar. So much of mine is unmodded stuff "because no-one will notice."

Ahhhh! Quilted!
    Jan 18, 2008, 8:35 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #87

Your ingenuity is inspiring and your art skills are just insane.
    Keep up the great work.
    Jan 19, 2008, 9:29 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #88

One of the things I love most about a good costume is that it looks good from 20 feet away, and it also looks good from 1 foot away. There's a big cohesive theme to it that's apparent when you see the suit as a whole, but then you get right on top of it and look at individual pieces and the depth and interest is still there, on a whole new level.

Thats why I love the 501st so much. They don't stop at that '20 feet away' point, like a lot of other groups do.
    Jan 21, 2008, 4:38 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #89

wow...how far off finished are you...must just be a matter of mounting the leg plates and getting a flight suit now!
    Jan 21, 2008, 9:59 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #90

The flight suit arrived in the mail yesterday. I have to do some modifications to it, but nothing too substantial.

I still have to:
    build the gauntlets
    make the sword/sheath
    make my pistol/holster
    mount leg plates
    recieve, mod, and paint the helmet
    Jan 22, 2008, 9:26 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #91

For some reason, the shoulder bell on the right in the picture reminds me of the Transformers symbol. :-D
  17. Jan 23, 2008, 11:42 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #92

I think that's a fist, but I definitely see where you are coming from.
    Jan 24, 2008, 11:14 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #93

your weathering and battle scaring looks amazing. cant wait to see the everything put together. keep up the great work!
    Jan 28, 2008, 9:39 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #94

Updates!

BIIIIG thanks to BradleyFett for his amazing helmet kit. Easy to put together and fun as hell.

The main modifications I did to this are the mohawk ridge (I asked BradleyFett for a second dome section I could cut the piece out of... which was sooooo much easier than trying to make my own) the 'radio' antenna, speaker, and input buttons on the opposite side of the rangefinder, and my big major scratch down the face. I also did some other mild scratch weathering.

The custom earpiece was made from Sculpey clay and little bits and pieces cut from a garbage can, which were added to the original earpiece. There's a speaker made from mosquito net, as well. Gaps were filled with plumber's putty.

Then the fun part began.

I painted the inside black, purely for my own aesthetics, and did the outside in the 'hammered metal' paint.

Then the yellow...

Then it was all detail work. Same methods as I used on the armor.

And a couple of closeups. The first of the 'radio' ear and large cheek gash:

And the second of the rangefinder earpiece, with significant chipping.

20. formerly slave1117a vaders right hand's Avatar
    Jan 28, 2008, 9:57 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #95

you are very talented
    Jan 28, 2008, 10:01 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #96

Man that really came out looking nice.
    Jan 29, 2008, 8:50 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #97

I like the hammered metal paint a lot more on the helmet than I did before. It makes it look like heavy metal.

Very nice indeed.

Does sculpey self harden, or do you have to heat it.
    Jan 29, 2008, 9:25 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #98

You have to bake Sculpey in the oven. When it dries, it has much the same texture as dried plumber's putty, but a bit softer and easier to file and shape.

I usually sculpt the basic shape of what I'm going for and do the finish work in sanding once I've baked it.
    Jan 29, 2008, 10:00 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #99

WOW!
    Looks great! I cant wait to see more updates.
    =)
    Jan 29, 2008, 12:33 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #100

Thanks for the info. Ill have to play with sculpey. Whats the temp it gets baked at?

One thing I want to mention, which makes your stuff look 'more realistic' than a lot of aging/weathering is that you tend to put your damage in places, where it would likely happen. Quite often people put random damage, and on the wrong faces of things and your mind is thinking 'hmm how in the world would that get damaged' as opposed to taking something and thinking ok, if a projectile grazed it, it would leave a dent here, a scrape here, and skip this indent and end up here.

If that makes any sense.

That is one of the things I notice on your paint / weather work thats important.

When I first started painting things to be 'weathered' I actually lightly painted a helmet with a very soft primer. Then I put it in a box with a bunch of otehr junk, and shook the hell out of it. And left it to roll around in the back of my jeep for a week. Then when you look at it you go 'ahh so thats where the scratches end up:")

Very nice work. Im looking forward to seeing it worn.