Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 25, 2007, 9:40 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #51

I have so much to learn about weathering. :-(
  2. Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Dec 25, 2007, 11:20 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #52

I hate you too. You are just way to good, you'll make us all look bad. So we've got a nice spot for you, out in on Tatooine. We think you'll love it there!

(Anyone get the Hot Fuzz connection?

Really girl, that stuff is amazing. You have shamed my attempts at prepro drawings. I bow at your feet.

Could I possibly get a pic of the uncolored and finished helmet pic you did. I'd love to maybe use it as a template for coloring my own designs on. If you don't mind that is....
  3. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Dec 26, 2007, 12:57 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #53

Really nice job on bringing the concept to life! I absolutely love the armor! GOOD JOB!
  4. Dec 27, 2007, 2:03 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #54

Very cool, excellent transition from your concept to execution...so many people who do customs start out with a cool idea, then when they end up, have boba or Jango with different colors. You've managed to adapt as your going while remaining true to you concept art...outstanding work.
  5. Dec 27, 2007, 4:02 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #55

Great concept and it's looking awesome.
    Nice looking Bossk too
    Dec 28, 2007, 12:32 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #56

Fantiastic weathering. Looks like all those years of model painting have paid off. Weathering is the one thing I just can't seem to get to look right.
    Dec 29, 2007, 12:34 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #57

really, weathering is pretty much the funnest thing in the world for me. I get to make a huge mess while still being artistic about it. I get to cut things up, destroy their paintjobs, bend, fray, stain, and dent.

I always thought it'd be kinda fun to do a weathering tutorial, but I don't presume to know everything about it and wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes.
    Dec 29, 2007, 5:56 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #58

One thing about weathering there are thousands of ways to do it, so your not going to step on any ones toes. I say make one, all your going to do is add your knowledge to the community.
    Dec 30, 2007, 9:04 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #59

color me jealous...
    Dec 31, 2007, 4:15 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #60

Alrighty, had another couple productive days, so I made myself a vest to put the armor on.

I started with some rich brown duck fabric. It's very similar to canvas... except that duck has a higher thread count.

Because I wanted it to FEEL like a real protective garment, I made the vest with a double thickness of the fabric. Now, it wouldn't stop a bullet, but it IS pretty resistant to slicing. So if I get in a knife fight I should be all good. :P

I'm no seamstress, so I don't bother making patterns. I just kinda dive right in, and trust my experience and knowledge of sewing tricks to pull me through. Usually, I have pretty good luck, especially on simple garments like this vest, which turned out well!

I applied snaps to the back of my armor and the matching snaps to the vest, then tossed the vest into the wash to soften it up. I SHOULD have washed the fabric before I even began, because the wash shrunk the darn thing by an inch or so, so now it's pretty tight on me. Not so tight that it's unwearable, but tight enough that it's noticeable. The solution to this problem is for me to lose some #$%^&* weight!

And then we moved onto my favorite part, the weathering. Again, it's all in the layers. I started with a few spritzes and drips of bleach. The duck sucked up the bleach like crazy, and actually turned white... a bit overkill, I didn't like that result, so I used some brown shoe polish and wiped it over the worst of the bleach spots to tone the white down a hair.

I continued with the brown shoe polish, using a pighair bristle shoe polishing brush, rubbing it in the polish, then gently wiping it over the areas where there would be sweat stains-- under the pits, around the neck, where my fingers touch the fasteners along the sides. By wiping gently with a large, stiff bristled brush, you get the stain on the high points of your fabric, providing a natural grime look.

With a sandpaper block, I scraped away at the seams, edges, and other areas that experience heavy wear. this dulls the fabric out and frays it slightly, giving that 'years of use' look.

To further years of use, a few drops of black liquid shoe polish simulated oil stains, and I used the same stiff bristle brush trick to add a bit more dark grime over the whole surface.

A light misting of maroon spray paint toned everything down a notch.

Finally, my favorite part, the sunbleached effect. To simulate years of sun beating down on the vest, I mixed a solution of about 1/5 bleach, 4/5 water and used a perfume sprayer to get a very fine mist. I used this over the whole vest, but especially around the shoulders, where the sun would have hit the hardest and longest.

Finally, a very dull knife was dragged over the fabric a bunch of times, not sharp enough to cut but sharp enough to wear the fabric and dent it for battle damage.

The result:

And with the armor plates snapped into place: (The plates look crooked laid out flat, but when the vest is worn, they sit correctly)

Jan 1, 2008, 12:44 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #61

Man I really need to get a move on my outfit. You started long after I did, and your leaveing me in the dust.
    Jan 1, 2008, 3:29 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #62

Very nice armour you have there!!!! well done!
  13. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Jan 4, 2008, 9:34 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #63

Nice job Abby! I can't wait to see this in person! I'm doing a custom one myself, but there's no way in hell I can draw it like you can.
  14. Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Jan 5, 2008, 9:12 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #64

I love your costume so far. Makes me think very similar to my plans, of a close combat Mando.
    Jan 6, 2008, 9:02 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #65

I love days off of work!

So I did the gloves and belt. Still gotta attach the kama to the belt, but I have to MAKE the kama first. :P

The gloves are just those bright yellow soft leather work gloves you can get pretty much anywhere. I darkened them up with some brown shoe polish, and melted it into the leather with a heat gun. I paid special attention to darken it up in the palms and fingertips, where they'd get the most sweat and wear.

I punched holes in the knuckles, attached screws to a plastic plate, then put the plate inside the gloves and screwed on my punchin' spikes. With a thick liner glove inside to protect my own knuckles from the screws, they're wonderfully dangerous.

Then I cut out my knuckle plates and belt buckle. The knuckle plates are two pieces each, to give some depth. I used goop to attach the parts together, then sanded them flush.

I painted them up with the same method as I used on the other armor.

The belt is a surplus US Army belt, which conveniently enough was available in my local surplus store for $3.00 because it was misdyed at the factory. It is an ugly yellowy-brown... but it's the perfect color for Arden!

The pouches are Israeli surplus. I have to replace the missing snaps, but that's just a quick job. Since I got them used, they were already weathered for me. Best part? They were 50 cents each! I love a cheap costume!

Jan 6, 2008, 10:54 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #66

Lucca, you HAVE to do a weathering tutorial. It looks amazing!
  17. Jan 6, 2008, 11:41 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #67

This costume keeps looking better and better. I've been following this thread since the beginning, and I am getting more enthusiastic about it than I am my own.

Well, mine is only starting to come along, but still.

Great work!
    Jan 7, 2008, 5:07 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #68

This is without doubt turning out to be a kick arse costume. Major Kudos to you !!
    Jan 7, 2008, 10:49 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #69

Quote samlynn79 said: View Post
    Lucca, you HAVE to do a weathering tutorial. It looks amazing!
    I probably will, once I get the urge to sit down and write for a few hours.

And thanks for all the support! I'm glad people are liking what I've got going here.
    Jan 7, 2008, 2:37 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #70

Kandosii'la Lucca, a weathering tutorial would without a doubt be much appreciated.
    Jan 7, 2008, 6:12 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #71

Amazing, absolutely amazing. Your weathering is magnificent and your drawings...well, I've not been this impressed in a long time. Fantastic work, can't wait to see it finished!
    Yay!
    Jan 8, 2008, 8:32 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #72

Abby, I didn't realize you had a thread going over here on TDH for your custom. BRILLIANT work as always! I can't wait to troop alongside you in this costume!!!
    Jan 8, 2008, 8:40 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #73

The pistol belt worked very well! And I love the hand armor plates. Great custom overall!
    Jan 8, 2008, 10:21 AM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #74

Quote webchief said: View Post
    Abby, I didn't realize you had a thread going over here on TDH for your custom. BRILLIANT work as always! I can't wait to troop alongside you in this costume!!!
    Hey Bob! It's easier for me to have only one 'progress' thread, and this costume applies here more than it does in the NEG. I'll definitely bring the weathering tutorial over, though, once I get everyone's input here, as I hope the champion weatherers from the NEG will have some info to add!
    Jan 8, 2008, 2:28 PM - Re: Arden "Lucky" Fisk #75

You get my PM?