Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 27, 2008, 1:18 PM - Apollo's Build #1

I keep on forgetting to post progress over here. This is going to be one large conglomeration of everything I do on this project so get set for a loooong thread.

Here's where I'm at right now.

Helmet

Gauntlet (left)

Shoulders

Chest Armor

Apr 27, 2008, 1:20 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #2

Awsome!!! Love the racing stipes!
    Apr 27, 2008, 1:37 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #3

i've seen some really good customs, but it's not very often that one makes me stop and just say, "wow." i like this one, a lot!
    Apr 27, 2008, 1:58 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #4

awesome man! that is some great design and nice paintjob right there!
    Apr 27, 2008, 10:40 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #5

looks great, so far! I love the unique shoulders!
  6. formerly Sgt. Skirata Huntman's Avatar
    Apr 27, 2008, 10:45 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #6

That is very awesome I cannot wait to see it with soft parts. Very nice belt too. I love the origionality.
    Apr 27, 2008, 10:52 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #7

vary nice job ... did you make the armor or just paint it? either way its looking great
    Apr 27, 2008, 10:53 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #8

I made it all except for the helmet. Gotta love sintra
    Apr 27, 2008, 11:01 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #9

Really like the stripes on the armor. Good choice of red too. Looking forward to seeing it all done
    Apr 27, 2008, 11:19 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #10

That reminds me, the red is Krylon Satin Burgundy and the white is Krylon Satin Ivory
    Apr 28, 2008, 12:02 AM - Re: Apollo's Build #11

looking really good so far!

Keep up the good work my friend!
  12. Apr 28, 2008, 1:18 AM - Re: Apollo's Build #12

looks awesome!!!
    i might take that shoulder design and twist it around, if you dont mind
    two thumbs up
    Apr 28, 2008, 9:18 AM - Re: Apollo's Build #13

If you'll take a little bit of constructive criticism... the weathering on the helmet looks awesome. However the weathering on the armor looks a little too uniform all over. You have alot of edges with no weathering at all, and alot of weathering in places where there really shouldn't be much, i.e. flat surfaces. The dents look GREAT! I'd definitely keep those. It's the scratch/flaking in the center of the armor that I'm talking about, as well as the shoulder bells and gauntlets. With the amount of weathering that you've got, all of the edges should be banged up pretty bad.
    Just something to think about, man. Please don't take it personally, 'cause I love the work you've put into this.
    Apr 28, 2008, 9:43 AM - Re: Apollo's Build #14

Now that is a nice Mando
    Apr 28, 2008, 10:15 AM - Re: Apollo's Build #15

Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    i've seen some really good customs, but it's not very often that one makes me stop and just say, "wow." i like this one, a lot!

I second that. This is a very well done custom. Bravo!
    Apr 28, 2008, 4:24 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #16

Quote samlynn79 said: View Post
    If you'll take a little bit of constructive criticism... the weathering on the helmet looks awesome. However the weathering on the armor looks a little too uniform all over. You have alot of edges with no weathering at all, and alot of weathering in places where there really shouldn't be much, i.e. flat surfaces. The dents look GREAT! I'd definitely keep those. It's the scratch/flaking in the center of the armor that I'm talking about, as well as the shoulder bells and gauntlets. With the amount of weathering that you've got, all of the edges should be banged up pretty bad.
    Just something to think about, man. Please don't take it personally, 'cause I love the work you've put into this.

to be honest, I'm not entirely pleased with the weathering on the chest pieces either. I'm not going to repaint these ones, but when I upgrade it will look much better 8)
    May 22, 2008, 4:09 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #17

Gah! I forgot I had a thread up over here. I've been working on the helmet recently since I got in my T-visor and my Range finder and stalk came in from BM. I'm wiring a couple of LEDs into the RF and it's looking pretty good. The RF really brings the helmet together. Once these are installed I can start on the inside!

With the T-visor duct taped in

Some WIP with the RF.

I want to install my visor with Chicago screws but I don't know where to get those. Can anybody help me out with that?
    May 22, 2008, 4:20 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #18

This looks fantatic, really like your shoulder bells and the helmet kicks all kinds of arse. Great stuff!
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 Bountyone's Avatar
    May 22, 2008, 4:24 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #19

Yeah I gotta say, I've seen many "Custom Mando's" but this one tops my list. you've done an outstanding job on the paint and damage. although the damage looks great on the Armor and Gauntlets, they still look a little "clean". maybe mist some black and add some scratches other than that, sweet looking stuff you got bro.
    May 22, 2008, 5:29 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #20

Quote Bountyone said: View Post
    Yeah I gotta say, I've seen many "Custom Mando's" but this one tops my list. you've done an outstanding job on the paint and damage. although the damage looks great on the Armor and Gauntlets, they still look a little "clean". maybe mist some black and add some scratches other than that, sweet looking stuff you got bro.
    Don't worry, I am going to do some grime weathering with them, I just haven't gotten around to it. I'll use the same methods that I used on this piece

21. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    May 22, 2008, 5:33 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #21

Very nice job there. There are a ton of custom mandos out there, but they never seem to reach the level you're at. The weathering is awesome and I love your use of well placed dents on the armour. I also like how you're using leather pouches instead of nylon, which is a cheaper alternative. I also love the originality with the shoulder armour and gauntlets. The only thing that I would change about the costume would be a helmet upgrade. Rubies is a nice start, but once you have a solid helmet on your head, then you're where it's at.
    May 22, 2008, 6:17 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #22

It's actually a fiberglass cast of a DP95. It's nice for now and I've learned a lot putting it together, but you're right; I will be upgrading to something nicer in the future
  23. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    May 22, 2008, 10:23 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #23

Nice! A fiberglass cast you say? I would recommend trimming away at the visor though. The thickness of material between the outside of the helmet to the visor should be about 1/8" or 3mm.

The main problem with Rubies/DP helmets is that they are mushy. Since yours is fiberglass, it's nice and strong.
    May 22, 2008, 10:38 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #24

thanks for the tip. I think the excess material around the visor may be why I'm having such a hard time installing one.

I just got my targeting system all set up. Now I just need to figure out how and where I'm going to install it. The targeting system is really 4 AAA batteries, a switch, and small circuit board with 2 LEDs built in, some sintra, and an aesthetic circuit board on top that controls the lights in my RF. The lights on the inside blink when it's on so I know without having to lower the RF or take off my helmet or anything. It looks pretty cool too. You can kinda make out the LEDs in the last pic

I also redid a little bit of weathering near the visor and RF

Before

After
  25. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    May 22, 2008, 10:54 PM - Re: Apollo's Build #25

I like your progress man. It's looking good!