Subscribe
  1. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jul 13, 2009, 10:28 AM - Word Replacement #1

Hey guys,

Want to make you aware that we are running some word replacement queries in an attempt to improve our SEO and a new members ability to perform effective searches on the site. Unfortunately we all, myself included, tend to type in the vernacular instead of using proper terms. We type things like "gaunts" instead of "gauntlets" or "bucket" instead of "helmet." This is fine among ourselves because we know what the poster is referring to. However, lets say you have created the best Helmet paint tutorial ever and you make a post called "ESB Bucket colors" What are the chances of a new member or someone searching on Google looking up "ESB" or "Bucket"? Chances are they are looking up "Boba Fett Helmet" or "How do I paint my Boba Fett Helmet." With that in mind, we are working on a few find and replaces so don't be surprised if you see them and try to keep these things in mind as you make your posts. Cute and catchy thread titles are fun, but they aren't helpful for newer members or people searching for us on Google.
  2. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jul 13, 2009, 11:46 AM - Re: Word Replacement #2

What about replacing all of that Mando Language with English?

I think that words like, "Beshkar'gam" or "Blah'de'blah" truly leave people without the ability to use the Search Feature. You're right that these words may be cute for fun, but many of these Mando words replacing real words can get confusing, even for members that have been here for several years.
    Jul 13, 2009, 2:06 PM - Re: Word Replacement #3

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post

I think that words like, "Beshkar'gam" or "Blah'de'blah" truly leave people without the ability to use the Search Feature. You're right that these words may be cute for fun, but many of these Mando words replacing real words can get confusing, even for members that have been here for several years.
    Did you spell beskar'gam with a lisp on purpose? Perhaps they could use the Mando'a alternative only after referring to it in English previously in the post?
    Jul 13, 2009, 4:01 PM - Re: Word Replacement #4

i'm gonna have to agree with andy on that. as cool as i think some custom mandos are, i have very different feelings about the language. it's the star wars equivalent to speaking klingon. the big difference between the two is that, unlike the trekkies, other star wars nerds don't think you're cool for talking it.
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Jul 13, 2009, 4:10 PM - Re: Word Replacement #5

Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    unlike the trekkies, other star wars nerds don't think you're cool for talking it.
    Well, that depends on the nerd.

I agree that TDH is really not the place to be using mando'a. It makes searching difficult because as Andy said, especially to those people who don't know what they are looking for in the first place.

Yeah it may be a little shocking that I would agree with word replacement in regards to this, but to get the proper information your tools have to work efficiently.
  6. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jul 13, 2009, 4:51 PM - Re: Word Replacement #6

We might consider replacing the mando-speak at some point, but honestly, it isn't as high a priority as many other terms and phrases which do need immediate attention for SEO purposes.
    Jul 14, 2009, 1:26 AM - Re: Word Replacement #7

Could we get a list of what words are replaced?
  8. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jul 14, 2009, 10:38 AM - Re: Word Replacement #8

we are still working on the replacement queries but we have been running test replacements by replacing:

gaunts with gauntlets

rocketpack, rocket pack, jetpack with jet pack

The purpose is to make the board more search friendly by using terms that people are likely to search for and that will also be picked up by Google. This will not only help with our page ranking and scores, but will also hopefully help us begin to unify terms. One of the things we want to work on for the new wiki is to have a unified set of terms and work to have everyone use those terms for both search and clarity sake. This is not a matter of censoring, but an effort to try to make the boards more useful and effective.
    Last edited by Art Andrews; Jul 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM.
    Jul 14, 2009, 12:52 PM - Re: Word Replacement #9

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    i did that on the NEG board.