Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    8,215
    Apr 29, 2008, 1:41 PM - New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #1

    We have recently updated to vBulletin 3.7.0. There are a TON of new and exciting features that are included. Please bear with us as we sort through them. You might see some new items that may or may not function completely. You may also see things appear and disappear over the next couple of weeks. Again, please be patient with us as we configure the new features!

    D
  2. LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    482
    Apr 29, 2008, 1:50 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #2

    Had me worried when I went to refresh the page and got some "Database under maintenance" msg or something of the sort. Thought the site got haxor'd for a sec.

    I'm liking the new changes to user profiles already!
  3. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    8,215
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:08 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #3

    Sorry for the lack of a heads up. There have been a few loophole concerns so we just went ahead and made the upgrade as soon as possible.

    And yes, the user profile area is probably the most affected. vBulletin is definitely moving in more of a community/myspace/facebook direction with it's member lists and user profiles.
  4. Dabbafett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    85
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:08 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #4

    lookin' good!
  5. LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    482
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:12 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #5

    Quote The Dent said: View Post
    Sorry for the lack of a heads up. There have been a few loophole concerns so we just went ahead and made the upgrade as soon as possible.

    And yes, the user profile area is probably the most affected. vBulletin is definitely moving in more of a community/myspace/facebook direction with it's member lists and user profiles.

    Glad you just went ahead and fixed it. I had a bad experience at MyGamerSpace.com where the site got hacked, then was shut down for 8 months, and finally came back up, but was never the same. Made me real sad.

    And the facebook-esque features are great, gonna allow us to get to know each other better.
  6. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    8,215
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:26 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #6

    Whew buddy.. I am not entirely sure I see this whole "friends" thing as a good thing... cause all I see is "why won't you be my friend" and "if you have HIM as a friend then I am taking you off MY friends list." I hope that it doesn't further reinforce some of the cliquishness we have seen rear its ugly head over the past year or so. It is certainly an interesting new toy, but I am not entirely sure how useful it will be. Who knows, maybe I will be wrong and it will actually strengthen the "community" feel. Guess time will tell.
  7. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:30 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #7

    who wants to be my friend?
  8. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    8,215
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:36 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #8

    Not me. You are friends with Bob so I can't be friends with you...
  9. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:44 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #9

    Quote Brak's Buddy said: View Post
    Not me. You are friends with Bob so I can't be friends with you...
    That's it! I'm making a Brak's Buddy Likes My Little Pony group, and Bob and I will be the leaders! You'll never have any friends on here!!!!!
  10. LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    482
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:51 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #10

    Quote Brak's Buddy said: View Post
    Whew buddy.. I am not entirely sure I see this whole "friends" thing as a good thing... cause all I see is "why won't you be my friend" and "if you have HIM as a friend then I am taking you off MY friends list." I hope that it doesn't further reinforce some of the cliquishness we have seen rear its ugly head over the past year or so. It is certainly an interesting new toy, but I am not entirely sure how useful it will be. Who knows, maybe I will be wrong and it will actually strengthen the "community" feel. Guess time will tell.

    I see what you're saying. That's part of the reason myspace annoyed the hell outta me. Had me only slightly worried at first, but I think what differentiates the people on here from social networking sites, is we all came here for a singular purpose; Star Wars costuming. Friends second, imo. That common interest right there should prevent any "myspace drama".

    I used to be a member of mygamerspace.com, and it was geared specifically toward gamers. Everybody there shared a common interest, and for the most part every user was friendly and nice. Sure there were a few pricks every now and then that were just begging to get the ban-hammer, but that's the nature of the interwebs.

    Whereas on myspace, you get all kinds of people; everybody is different, and personalities are bound to clash, so of course there's that petty BS going on all the time.

    So I don't really see any bad coming out of it now that TDH has some of those friend features.





    But then again, I'm still a newb here, so what do I know?
  11. Darth Paul's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    181
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:52 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #11

    I'll be your friend Brian
  12. Mattastic13's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    191
    Apr 29, 2008, 2:56 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #12

    How depressing...my profile says I have made no friends...LOL
  13. shortimer52's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,287
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:06 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #13

    Quote Mattastic13 said: View Post
    How depressing...my profile says I have made no friends...LOL

    I don't like you and I drink with you.

    Of course then again I almost prayed to the porcelain god at you place.
    It was a non alcoholic incident.

    I dont know if this "friend" thing is a good idea. I can see members PM boxs filled with request to the point that they get tired of pushing the "OK" button. PM box fills up and no one can get a real PM to that person. And like BB said I hate to see a childish fight on here.

    But give it a shot and see what happnd's.
    Last edited by shortimer52; Apr 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM.
  14. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    8,215
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:11 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #14

    Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    That's it! I'm making a Brak's Buddy Likes My Little Pony group, and Bob and I will be the leaders! You'll never have any friends on here!!!!!
    Sir, are you implying there is something WRONG with liking My Little Ponies? Oh I don't think you want me to bring my pony loving friends here... you wouldn't want that... No indeed. Besides... we all know you and Bob both are closet My Little Pony lovers so you are fooling no one...
  15. Bubba Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,308
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:14 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #15

    Looking forward to the new features BB.
  16. LostSonOfSparda's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    482
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:22 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #16

    Quote Brak's Buddy said: View Post
    you and Bob both are closet My Little Pony lovers

    Oh geez, closet lovers. Don't wanna know what the ponies are used for... oh gawd, BAD THOUGHTS!!
    I've just been deprived of my childhood.
  17. stormtrooperguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,039
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:25 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #17

    Quote LostSonOfSparda said: View Post
    Oh geez, closet lovers. Don't wanna know what the ponies are used for... oh gawd, BAD THOUGHTS!!
    I've just been deprived of my childhood.
    you're welcome!
  18. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    8,215
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:29 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #18

    Hey if we didn't have a little fun every now and then things would get boring around here... and it is ALWAYS worth taking the time to make a little fun of my best friend, Bob.
  19. Apr 29, 2008, 3:44 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #19

    nah, dont really care for the myspace aspect. It creates all kinds of problems, just get's to kinky and weird and it will spawn cliques and divisions within the board. I banned the use of that site in my office, and I will summarily fire anybody who use's it on company computers. I killed my account there and my life has been completely civil and hassle free without it. But, I am looking foward to some new bells and whistle's so bring them on!
  20. Dabbafett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    85
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:51 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #20

    i aint got no friends...
    maybe i should just, leave this board and join the rebels
  21. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Apr 29, 2008, 3:56 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #21

    Quote Commander Voltaire said: View Post
    nah, dont really care for the myspace aspect. It creates all kinds of problems, just get's to kinky and weird and it will spawn cliques and divisions within the board. I banned the use of that site in my office, and I will summarily fire anybody who use's it on company computers. I killed my account there and my life has been completely civil and hassle free without it. But, I am looking foward to some new bells and whistle's so bring them on!
    I would have to agree.... that part of the new features seems too much to keep up with......... "can we turn the friends feature off?" .....cause I love everyone the same.

    but all the other stuff seems really cool..
  22. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    8,215
    Apr 29, 2008, 4:02 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #22

    Glad to see I am not the only one to feel this way.
  23. Wes is offline Wes
    Apr 29, 2008, 4:25 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #23

    Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    That's it! I'm making a Brak's Buddy Likes My Little Pony group, and Bob and I will be the leaders! You'll never have any friends on here!!!!!

    I'm in!
  24. TK1455's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    120
    Apr 29, 2008, 4:28 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #24

    A few of the forums I'm on have the "Friend" feature and I've never had a problem with it at all. But then I don't typically use it, I'm not into the whole Myspace/Facebook thing. I tried Facebook and my account lasted about a week. Too many wankers from back in highschool were bugging me to "re-live old times" through it. No thank you! LOL

    I'm all for some new changes though (even though I'm fairly new here and am happy with the way it is).
  25. Bubba Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,308
    Apr 29, 2008, 6:34 PM - Re: New Version of vBulletin - ALL PLEASE READ! #25

    Agreed, I would never use the friends feature - don't see the use. Very little upside to it and a lot of potential downside.

Similar Threads

  1. vBulletin vs. phpBB
    By stormtrooperguy in forum Site Support & News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 26, 2009, 10:26 AM
  2. PLEASE READ!
    By Art Andrews in forum Star Wars Costumes
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Sep 23, 2008, 9:49 AM
  3. **PLEASE READ** Help!!!
    By Korlak in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 1, 2008, 11:37 PM
  4. JB Project/ Screen version vs. AOSW or nonscreen version.
    By Spideyfett in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: Feb 27, 2008, 7:17 AM