Subscribe
    Dec 25, 2008, 9:06 AM - New Fett in Progress #1

I made a small post but found this section where I was allowed a new topic so here we go Here is all work done as of one week.

Starting

coming together

Resin on inside

initial Bondo

2nd bondo and Drywall Mud

Details

Knees Beginning

Gauntlets Beginning

Santa's Little Helper

Once the helmet is all smooth and finished I will clear coat it and make a silicone mold. This is why I'm fine with using the drywall mud rather than wresteling bondo. I will use only bondo on the gauntlets since I can't see myself trying to make a mold of those.

Merry Christmas everybody!
    Dec 26, 2008, 3:50 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #2

Time for another update. The weather has been going nuts lately. 20, 30, 20, 60, 70, 30... all Farenheit but owell. Here are some pictures of how the smoothing process is going.

The left gauntlet put together kinda.

The right gauntlet kinda

And a nice find today shopping!

I'm not happy with the way that the curve of the gauntlets turned out. I may instead use posterboard and glass it before applying the outer layer of the shell to get a much better curve. Tomorrow I will be on a troop and should be able to get some comparison of how I've been doing so far
    Dec 26, 2008, 3:59 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #3

Man! Amazing job, in such a short amount of time! Good going buddy!

G-Fett
    Dec 26, 2008, 4:02 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #4

Its amazing how much you can get done when you're off from college. Trust me when I say progress will slow WAYYY down after January 4th

Thanks for the kind words!
    Dec 28, 2008, 5:06 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #5

So I'm backing up a few steps with the whole surfacing issue on this project. The Drywall mud was cracking and I discovered that under the cracks the template was peeling away from the cardboard which made it trash. I also saw that on the inside where I had applied resin the template was peeling away from there as well so I took all that off.

I have since added resin to the inside and removed all the drywall from the top. I have also cut down any high spots to make surfacing easier the second time around. On the cheeks I have also removed the drywall as from here on out I will be using bondo despite how inept I am

A Shaved down Area

Cheek area

Peeled away strip

Resin and fiberglass strip on the inside.

Fiberglassed Knees

First bondo application on left gauntlet.
    Dec 28, 2008, 9:09 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #6

Cool man, I need to see more friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dec 29, 2008, 12:16 AM - Re: New Fett in Progress #7

I have a week until work on this comes to a screeching hault again with the new school semester starting. Hopefully I can get a lot done despite the recent setback.
    Dec 30, 2008, 1:03 AM - Re: New Fett in Progress #8

Just keep on keeping on. Here are the templates placed onto a trashcan. They weren't placed perfectly but I'm going to shape them all anyway so I wasn't too worried. I'll also be fiberglassing and bondoing these.
    Jan 1, 2009, 7:43 AM - Re: New Fett in Progress #9

Quote lostdude said: View Post

Just keep on keeping on. Here are the templates placed onto a trashcan. They weren't placed perfectly but I'm going to shape them all anyway so I wasn't too worried. I'll also be fiberglassing and bondoing these.
    Hopefully you haven't started cutting before I post this...

I would suggest turning the codpiece template upside down; the curve of the plastic is better suited to your natural hip curves. Also, and I don't know how much you paid for the cans, but I would get a few more since they're only like 7 bucks apiece (around here anyway...), and place the collar armor template lengthwise along the side to use the curve already there...

And the same with the shoulder bells, put a template on the outside curve of each side of the can above the base and again take advantage of the molded shape already present...

Just my $.02, but IMHO it would save you considerable time and effort
    Jan 1, 2009, 7:56 AM - Re: New Fett in Progress #10

Your progress is very interesting friend, I hope you can finish in time and it forms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Jan 1, 2009, 2:22 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #11

I have a question what did you use to make the armor? I am using cardboard but its hard to cut bend and mold and keep in place haha and it comes out a lil wrong.
    Jan 1, 2009, 4:02 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #12

Unfortunatly I've already cut everything out and have moved on to the jet pack.... However fortunatly I may have found a workshop at NC State where I can continue just at a slower pace. Heres to hoping!

The Armor is made out of the trashcans so far which I will bend to the correct shape, fiberglass, and bondo.

The helmet, gauntlets and knees are made out of cardboard which is being glassed and bondoed. I plan on making molds of the gauntlets and helmet also so they are simply prototypes.

Well I hope that answers everyone's questions and thank you for the complements. I'm going to go recover from New Years.

Happy New Year!
  13. Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Jan 1, 2009, 6:10 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #13

I think that is where I made the mistake I should have glued the template to the cardboard I am rather skilled with a knife. Well here is trying again so lets hope my second attempt is far better haha.
    Jan 3, 2009, 4:38 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #14

Well heres my last update for quite a while as I'm heading back to school tomorrow. Most everything is cut out and whats left is the monotonous process of glassing, bondo, sanding and repeating. Hopefully I'll find a workshop at school to continue but until then.

Jan 4, 2009, 1:30 AM - Re: New Fett in Progress #15

well, your movin right along there, I only have my bucket (90%) and the chest pieces, I need to get to making the shoulder bells, the cod, knees and gauntlets. Nice progress bro. I hope you can fix the curve on your neck plate, its curved really wierd. But excellent work so far, keep us posted (after your homework of course)
    Jan 4, 2009, 9:50 AM - Re: New Fett in Progress #16

this is really good.
    Jan 7, 2009, 11:54 AM - Re: New Fett in Progress #17

wow! you'll have a costume together in no time! keep up the great work
    Jan 7, 2009, 2:57 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #18

Meh... being in a dorm room and having the bondo and fiberglass as the next phase puts a hamper on progress.....

Which is why I've started a dorm room friendly project! I've begun a Master Chief suit using pepakura technique which should keep me good and busy. Perhaps I'll get some shots of that once I have something to take shots of.
    Mar 17, 2009, 5:07 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #19

***, i need this to be done
    Mar 17, 2009, 5:20 PM - Re: New Fett in Progress #20

you've been a busy little bee havent you