Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

  1. #51
    Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    From
    Kingman, Arizona, United States, 107964532558835, Kingman, Arizona
    Posts
    5,575

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Ah, I see what you mean. Well, that would honestly be a much greater undertaking that probably any of us would truly want or have time to do. But it is a good idea. Perhaps if there was someone that might be willing to compose something like that, we might be able to do that. It would be up to the administration to decide if we wanted to ultimately post something like this but I can see how it might help with some questions. Just so long as people don't act rudely to people who don't read it and still ask a question that is answered in the FAQ.

  2. #52

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    As far as the FAQ thing goes... the 501st NEG has been working on a wiki to cover exactly that stuff.

    http://501neg.com/wiki/doku.php?id=costumingoba_fett

    It's a work in progress, but there's a lot of good info in there already. I know there was talk at one point about perhaps having a TDH:Wiki. I think that would be a great idea

    And maybe equipping all the mods with rolled up newspapers to thwap us when we're bad would help too!

  3. #53
    never_ending_fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,158

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Even a thread in each section with links directly to the "most helpful threads" in that section would be a good place to start. For instance A search for "rangefinder" in the search box turns up alot of threads with a question and an incomplete answer. A thread with a list of links broken down by topic would help that. I know something like this has been talked about briefly in the past and the full list of "found" items thread got started but not much every really came of it. I know this is mostly because no one wants to really take the time to do it (including me) and we shouldn't just expect the admins/mods to do it; we all know they all have enough on their plates as is. I don't even know how best to organize it to get it started even if it was attempted.

    As far as the main discussion i this thread goes, for the most part I would say that everyone has been great, and there is a wealth of knowledge here. I know it seems that some people do seems to be more "buddy-buddy" with eachother than others, that's natural in any community online or real life and is to be expected. As long as we continue to reach out and welcome new people that shouldn't be an issue.

  4. #54
    Rat_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    From
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    319

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Is there something like a "timed" pop-up that can be set for something like 30 days after sign up? Before a post is "created" it reminds the person, "Have you tried using the search tool, most common questions can be quickly answered using this feature."

    Now granted, they might not be posting a thread asking a question, but more often than not, within the first 30 days, a new member is more than likely posting a question. After the first 30 days that reminder has come up so much that it might just get them to use it first. Just brainstorming here.

    And on the main subject, posting a negative or sarcastic response to a post isn't like talking to someone in person where you might just blurt out a response. Here, you have to click a button, type up a response and click a button, not exactly an immediate reaction. So, those veterans who are wiggin' out over a post, cuz they've seen it for the ump-teenth time just move on, don't comment.

    Something that kinda bothered me recently was a post made by someone in a different country, some responded back to them with a greeting typed in their native language. The next response to the post was something like "English Please." I'm mean, what's up with that?

    I'm actually kind of amazed at peoples need to respond to every single post that's made, particularly if the answer has already been posted. I see it so much: Question gets posted, then a few replies, then an answer, then a few hours/days later someone posts the same answer just worded differently or agreeing that the answer is correct.

    Maybe I'm in the minority here, just sayin?
    Last edited by Rat_Fett; Jun 27, 2007 at 10:20 PM.

  5. #55
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    I say you have to pass a 20 question quiz before your allowed to post...heh heh

  6. #56
    Rat_Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    From
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    319

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Delta75 said: View Post
    I say you have to pass a 20 question quiz before your allowed to post...heh heh
    Hey, you know, that's not a bad idea.

    All the basic newb questions that have been asked. Kinda like a scavenger hunt. They have to use the search to to find all the right answers.

    So, Delta, all submissions go to you for grading.

  7. #57
    Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2002
    From
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    8,182

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Delta75 said: View Post
    I say you have to pass a 20 question quiz before your allowed to post...heh heh
    hahahaha! ohhh... couldn't we have so much fun with that!!! They would of course have to be multipart questions...

    Question 1) Give the full name for the folllowing: MSH, MSH2, ROTJ, ESB, ANH, FP, RA, MS, MH, BM, etc, etc.

    Question 2) Name all the found parts that have been discovered and released so far.

  8. #58

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    What's really disturbing is that I actually took the time to answer those, brainstorming everything that's been discovered so far. I can't really use that kind of info for important things in life, like picking up chicks.

    "Hi, can I get you a drink? That's a nice shirt, it looks very close to the green they used on Boba Fett's helmet. Only his was a little darker, due to the misting they applied to it. I believe they used a model paint called Panzer Olive Green. It's actually a different col-...wait, where are you going? I haven't told you about the weathering technique they used yet!"

    I need a life.

  9. #59

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    There are several recurring themes here, some of which point to limitations when using vBulletin as a message board and as a content management system.

    • many useful threads are buried under tons of other redundant threads
    • useful information in a definitive thread is spread out through 150 replies
    • the search function has no way of ranking popular results
    • definitive articles are old and have dead picture links
    • new users can't find what they're looking for, ask the question again
    • senior users already know most of what they're interested to know, get sick of redundant newbie questions
    • it's always more fun to dogpile on the n00b, than it is to track down the right answer/URL for them. Regardless, the message board shouldn't put that burden on the veteran user anyway.

    Among the possible solutions, which don't involve costly add-ons to the message board software (some of this has already been suggested, trying to summarize here)

    1. the experts nominate the best threads, and consolidate the information in the initial post or paraphrase into a new threads, more like technical articles.
    2. the admins implement some kind of sidebar on the forum pages with links to popular articles per forum.
    3. the initial email a user receives after joining gets revised into a decent html page, telling newbies where to look for information. I think people who find what they're looking for are generally going to abide by the CoC anyway.
    4. split the "how much you will spend" article to accommodate zero-budget Fetts, weekend troopers, and screen-accurate prop replica fanatics. Contrary to popular belief, it is entirely possible for some TDH members to create a costume they are satisfied with, for less than $3,500.
    5. maybe we have a separate forum just for introductions. A single intro thread is unmanageable as the TDH membership continues to increase. Possibly limit users' ability to post anywhere else until they've posted in the intro forum.

  10. #60
    Cerillo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    From
    Southern California
    Posts
    285

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Count Dookie wrote:
    1. split the "how much you will spend" article to accommodate zero-budget Fetts, weekend troopers, and screen-accurate prop replica fanatics. Contrary to popular belief, it is entirely possible for some TDH members to create a costume they are satisfied with, for less than $3,500.
    That sounds pretty good. I too think there should be a seperate section for an economy Fett (3,500.00 or less) and a for those who are making Fetts with alittle more money to spend. It gets kind of old to here people say "WOW That's alot" or "A little to rich for my blood" The way I see it if you want the best, expect to pay more. Comments like will only Skyline you. C

  11. #61
    Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    From
    Kingman, Arizona, United States, 107964532558835, Kingman, Arizona
    Posts
    5,575

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Count Dookie said: View Post
    There are several recurring themes here, some of which point to limitations when using vBulletin as a message board and as a content management system.
    • many useful threads are buried under tons of other redundant threads
    • useful information in a definitive thread is spread out through 150 replies
    • the search function has no way of ranking popular results
    • definitive articles are old and have dead picture links
    • new users can't find what they're looking for, ask the question again
    • senior users already know most of what they're interested to know, get sick of redundant newbie questions
    • it's always more fun to dogpile on the n00b, than it is to track down the right answer/URL for them. Regardless, the message board shouldn't put that burden on the veteran user anyway.
    Among the possible solutions, which don't involve costly add-ons to the message board software (some of this has already been suggested, trying to summarize here)
    1. the experts nominate the best threads, and consolidate the information in the initial post or paraphrase into a new threads, more like technical articles.
    2. the admins implement some kind of sidebar on the forum pages with links to popular articles per forum.
    3. the initial email a user receives after joining gets revised into a decent html page, telling newbies where to look for information. I think people who find what they're looking for are generally going to abide by the CoC anyway.
    4. split the "how much you will spend" article to accommodate zero-budget Fetts, weekend troopers, and screen-accurate prop replica fanatics. Contrary to popular belief, it is entirely possible for some TDH members to create a costume they are satisfied with, for less than $3,500.
    5. maybe we have a separate forum just for introductions. A single intro thread is unmanageable as the TDH membership continues to increase. Possibly limit users' ability to post anywhere else until they've posted in the intro forum.
    These actually are all really good. I nominate Dookie to do them!

  12. #62
    jenchuan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2004
    From
    Rich City, Tenyucky
    Posts
    349

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Seven said: View Post
    I think (if this is not what it is already) that it would be good to have a FAQ that lists all things about that particular topic that we know.

    For example: In the Shin Tools and Blasters section, the FAQ section that is a stick would include info like:
    ESB base of the blaster was a Webley & Scott Flare gun with a ASI scope, molex connectors....etc.

    or in the Helmet section it would say:
    Borden hole connector was used for the check, the MQ-1 calculator was used in the back key hole slots....etc.

    Something that is well known to be found parts, fabrics, details, web links to companies that may sell these original parts, even templets, sewing patterns, and blueprints all in the FAQ to answer a lot of newbie questions and just have the info readly available for 'old timers'.

    Being on this board for almost 5 years now, I have noticed that orginization is the best method for those whom have questions. As a newbie, you may not know what to search for, and it sometimes is just easier to make a new thread.

    Just my 2 cents (though it may be off topic...)
    THANK YOU!! I didn't know a good way to explain it because I know absolutely zilch about this stuff. But you nailed it on the head. THANKS!!!

  13. #63
    Account Deactivated
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Brak's Buddy said: View Post
    hahahaha! ohhh... couldn't we have so much fun with that!!! They would of course have to be multipart questions...

    Question 1) Give the full name for the folllowing: MSH, MSH2, ROTJ, ESB, ANH, FP, RA, MS, MH, BM, etc, etc.

    Question 2) Name all the found parts that have been discovered and released so far.
    Man, Arts going hardcore now...hahaha

  14. #64
    Admin Staff MaulMaus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2002
    From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona
    Posts
    1,673

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Mirax H said: View Post
    These actually are all really good. I nominate Dookie to do them!
    I second that!

    Those are actually some great ideas! We've run into the budget vs. screen accurate issues in the Zam forum. Room needs to be made for both I think. And consolidating useful information into one area is a lot of work... but probably a time and energy (stress?) saver in the long run. Just my 02.

  15. #65
    never_ending_fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,158

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Count Dookie said: View Post
    There are several recurring themes here, some of which point to limitations when using vBulletin as a message board and as a content management system.
    • many useful threads are buried under tons of other redundant threads
    • useful information in a definitive thread is spread out through 150 replies
    • the search function has no way of ranking popular results
    • definitive articles are old and have dead picture links
    • new users can't find what they're looking for, ask the question again
    • senior users already know most of what they're interested to know, get sick of redundant newbie questions
    • it's always more fun to dogpile on the n00b, than it is to track down the right answer/URL for them. Regardless, the message board shouldn't put that burden on the veteran user anyway.
    Among the possible solutions, which don't involve costly add-ons to the message board software (some of this has already been suggested, trying to summarize here)
    1. the experts nominate the best threads, and consolidate the information in the initial post or paraphrase into a new threads, more like technical articles.
    2. the admins implement some kind of sidebar on the forum pages with links to popular articles per forum.
    3. the initial email a user receives after joining gets revised into a decent html page, telling newbies where to look for information. I think people who find what they're looking for are generally going to abide by the CoC anyway.
    4. split the "how much you will spend" article to accommodate zero-budget Fetts, weekend troopers, and screen-accurate prop replica fanatics. Contrary to popular belief, it is entirely possible for some TDH members to create a costume they are satisfied with, for less than $3,500.
    5. maybe we have a separate forum just for introductions. A single intro thread is unmanageable as the TDH membership continues to increase. Possibly limit users' ability to post anywhere else until they've posted in the intro forum.

    This sums up and expands on what I was trying to say all at the same time. Great post. I'ad rather see Count Dookie do some more work on his helmet stenzels than head this project. I like the wiki idea also, that gives everyone the chance to work on it a little at a time in a collaborative sort of way, i've never contributed to one, but I think i have the basic idea what it involves.

  16. #66
    Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    From
    Kingman, Arizona, United States, 107964532558835, Kingman, Arizona
    Posts
    5,575

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Well, if these are things that you, the members are wanting, then we ask that you, the members help create them and we will look into trying to implement them. Again, the administration just simply does not have the time to try and create the things that you are wanting but if you do, please, go for it and submit it to us and we will see what we can possibly do with it.

  17. #67
    jodo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    From
    The Cold Widwest
    Posts
    2,207

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    I think there should be an automatice disclaimer that comes up evry time a member under 30 days visits the forum that tells them building a Fett will cost more money than they expect.

    But seriously, the Admin. staff could think about adding a child board to the Sarlacc pit as mentioned above just for new member intros, and inside the forum, there could be a couple pinned topics advising/telling them which threads to look through.Etc. They could also have say a 25 post minium before they can post topics, but the down side to it, new members might/proboly would spam the boards trying to get their number of posts in to post a topic.

    Or they could do it the old fashion way and actualy use the search feature.

  18. #68
    Raffles's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    From
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    55

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    I'd quite happily write a basic "beginners guide" article to be included at the top of each section. I think with my level of knowledge there's no chance of me drifting into too much detail.

  19. #69
    ZamBamThankYouMaam's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    From
    Naples, Florida
    Posts
    34

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    I'm about as new of a newbie as you can get with TDH. I've only been a member for a couple of days, and have made a whopping 3 or 4 posts. I haven't had any resposes, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it! I know people have those 'normal life' things that we'd all just as soon avoid sometimes, but they tend to get busy sometimes. Personally, I'd chalk the whole 'no reply' thing up to general busyness, and hopefully not people ignoring me. I'm not going to let the lack of someone answering get me down. I know people with their outfits done are not going to be one this forum as much as I am when I'm just compiling the stuff I need to get and do. Hopefully, however, I didn't make any of those 'quirky' references (although hansoloway mentioned the Klingon language I am guilty of mentioning Trek in a previous post...SORRY! I was just saying that ST can get into $$$$$ too, since Paramount only puts out garbage for "costumes" and if you want to do something right, DIY), but if I did, keep in mind I'm getting used to this, like the rest of the newbies are. I can say one thing I didn't know until yesterday...and that's the SEARCH option. Another forum I'm on that is very similar in layout doesn't have a search option. Which would explain why they have multiple posts of the same variety at times. So...I solemnly swear that I will ALWAYS search before I open my big yap... AMEN Bear with me, vets...we're all 'new' at something, sometime.

  20. #70
    I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    From
    California USA
    Posts
    2,738

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    ZamBamThankYouMaam said: View Post
    I'm about as new of a newbie as you can get with TDH. I've only been a member for a couple of days, and have made a whopping 3 or 4 posts. I haven't had any resposes, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it! I know people have those 'normal life' things that we'd all just as soon avoid sometimes, but they tend to get busy sometimes. Personally, I'd chalk the whole 'no reply' thing up to general busyness, and hopefully not people ignoring me. I'm not going to let the lack of someone answering get me down. I know people with their outfits done are not going to be one this forum as much as I am when I'm just compiling the stuff I need to get and do. Hopefully, however, I didn't make any of those 'quirky' references (although hansoloway mentioned the Klingon language I am guilty of mentioning Trek in a previous post...SORRY! I was just saying that ST can get into $$$$$ too, since Paramount only puts out garbage for "costumes" and if you want to do something right, DIY), but if I did, keep in mind I'm getting used to this, like the rest of the newbies are. I can say one thing I didn't know until yesterday...and that's the SEARCH option. Another forum I'm on that is very similar in layout doesn't have a search option. Which would explain why they have multiple posts of the same variety at times. So...I solemnly swear that I will ALWAYS search before I open my big yap... AMEN Bear with me, vets...we're all 'new' at something, sometime.
    This is a great example of the right attitude and outlook to have on these or any boards. Well said, and well done ZamBamThankYouMaam. And that's all I gots to say about that.



  21. #71
    Tazman's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    From
    Iserlohn, Germany
    Posts
    80

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Hi!

    Some words of a newbie!!!

    Im a 44y old father who wanna scratchbuild a Boba.
    This site is incredible good for people like me who are not a geek in SW modelling.

    My english is not pretty well I no, and for some words Ive had to look to the dictonary

    All the "old" members are very friendly - too friendly maybe!!!

    We newbies need criticism!!!
    We all can learn by our faults.

    But there isnt any criticism. Everyone said "wonderful", "good so far for the first time" aso.

    Nobody said "godd sor far, but....".
    This is, what Im missing; please give us some hints to make a better work.

    Hope you understand my rusty english

    Thx,

    Thomas

  22. #72
    Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    From
    Kingman, Arizona, United States, 107964532558835, Kingman, Arizona
    Posts
    5,575

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    eighteendelta said: View Post
    Mirax is working on something, I don't think it's a booth though, not sure she has given out details yet.

    -x
    Well, we have dinner AND a booth! Check out the following threads:

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forum...ad.php?t=19967
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forum...ad.php?t=19947

  23. #73
    Seven's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2002
    From
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    604

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Something else I have noticed, is when a new member DOES use the search and comes across a thread that covers the topic they have a question about, and posts in it, they get slammed again for "resurrecting" an old thread. I think if the thread is still there, and the topic is not 100% concluded, it is always open to discussion as along as there are those who are here to ...well discuss it. In my opinion, only 'Locked' threads are dead threads.

    But I don't think the point of this thread is to figure out regulations, rules or limitations about new members, but for all of us to be more patient, understanding and helpful regarless.
    Last edited by Seven; Jul 13, 2007 at 2:44 PM.

  24. #74
    Admin Staff webchief's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2002
    From
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,702

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Seven, that's actually a very good point. That happens a lot and I've even been guilty of it myself. I'll made comments (the most recent yesterday) where I admit I was thinking.... man... talk about digging up the dead!

    You're right though. If the topic is still valid and we're telling folks to search instead of asking again than what do we really expect them to do?

  25. #75

    Re: A New and Disturbing Trend at TDH - ALL PLEASE READ!

    Is there a way to set up a limit to how long a thread can still be replied to. Maybe like after a year or so, or a certain period of inactivity. Then if the question is still not answered they one can fire away. Just a thought.

Similar Threads

  1. PLEASE READ!
    By Art Andrews in forum Star Wars Costumes
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: Sep 23, 2008, 9:49 AM
  2. somewhat disturbing. "Flash Dance"
    By suspect86 in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 7, 2008, 1:05 AM
  3. PLEASE READ IT....
    By Madrid Boba in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Dec 23, 2007, 12:35 PM
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •