What type/brand of clay do you use.

From
    Madison, Wisconsin

What type/brand of clay do you use.

i want to start creating some things (ie: helmets, armor, gauntlets, other random props and objects.) and then make a silicon mold and cast them in resin and fiberglass and the like. But, what i am not sure of is what type of clay to use for these types of things.

my thurston james book is on its way from amazon. should be here tuesday of next week, so it may say in there. but i wanted to get a jumpstart on my projects.

can anyone help me out?

Re: What type/brand of clay do you use.

psych0ticmisfit said:
    i want to start creating some things (ie: helmets, armor, gauntlets, other random props and objects.) and then make a silicon mold and cast them in resin and fiberglass and the like. But, what i am not sure of is what type of clay to use for these types of things.

my thurston james book is on its way from amazon. should be here tuesday of next week, so it may say in there. but i wanted to get a jumpstart on my projects.

can anyone help me out?
    I'd recommend Wed Clay (EM-217) all the way. Great to work with, dries very slow and very reusable.
    The best price I've found on the web is HERE
    Though I noted that your from Madison, the shipping here to LaCrosse was $38.00 for 50lbs, so I'd search around a little first and check local clay distributors.
    I, personally speaking, searched all around for a closer distributer but with no luck. Hope I helped.

From
    Bay Area

When I was doing a lot of sculpting/mold making in college, I used Roma Plastilina. It never hardens, doesn't shrink, and comes in different consistencies, depending on whether you're doing big projects or detailed small sculptures. It can be quite a bit more expensive than WED clay. I guess I never got the hang of using water-based clays.

If your in the UK, Scola air drying nylon reinforced clay has done me no wrong thus far, although the nylon makes it a wee bit hairy when you sand it.

Also when clay modelling, polystyrene is your lifelong friend