what should I use for a lightsaber?

From
    Northern Illinois, about 90 miles NW of Chicago and 30 mins from the Wis-Ill line

what should I use for a lightsaber?

I know that I've made some of you mad at me over the past few weeks, and I'm sorry for that. I hope that we can start over on the right foot with this thread.

I'm going to get a piece of pipe for the saber, but need some help on what size it should be. I also would like advice on what to use to detail it.

Once again, I'm sorry for what has happened before, so let's start over here. HF

Re: what should I use for a lightsaber?

well, seeing as this is a fett-centric group, you may be better off looking for someplace more jedi-like. lots of people use sink pipes and other bits from a hardware store to build sabers.

check out the jedi assembly for that sort of stuff
    http://www.thejediassembly.com/

From
    Northern Illinois, about 90 miles NW of Chicago and 30 mins from the Wis-Ill line

Ok, I'll check it out.

formerly joNich
    From
    Columbus, OH

Take some time and skim through this link:
    http://boards.theforce.net/costuming...38194/p1/?1774

It's about 71 pages long...but it's got lots of great pics, links, and other people's homemade light sabers (well...not all of them are homemade...but most of them are).

I'm the proud owner of 2 homemade's myself. I posted a pic in your other thread.

From

Yeah, I saw those, made me jealous. I'm thinking of just buying one, but unsure if it would look cheesy or not. The stroe-bought are the 12-16" long ones with a flimsy belt clip, what do yuo guys think?

formerly joNich
    From
    Columbus, OH

Now that I think of it...might be the best idea in your case. The parts for mine cost around $20-30 for each one...and I had to use a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to make them. If you don't have one of those badboys...you're kind of limited on designs.

From

Well, I don't have a dremel. Guess I'll have to check the clearance aisle at walmart, again.

Yep, you should probably go that route if you don't have a dremel. But make sure if you continue costuming and prop building, you should definatly get a dremel as soon as you can. It's truly a great thing. *hugs dremel*

From

I'll be sure to check it out. How much are they?

formerly joNich
    From
    Columbus, OH

$30 and up

From
    Chicago burbs

You can also check here for building tips
    http://www.jedi-academy.com/lightsabermain.html

You should really check out the Jedi Assembly and look up a guy called Tanzan. He has made a tutorial on cutting metal pipes with hacksaws and no dremels. He's a saber master and the one i learned how to build this:

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Nice hilt

Thanks, this is probably my favorite

formerly joNich
    From
    Columbus, OH

My latest "dooku style" curved handle lightsaber:

I need to get some brighter pics. I used a curved vaccuum cleaner handle and a dremel to cut the sink tube that's slipped over it. It's also got a painted sink faucet handle as a pommel and 40 O-rings for the grip.

I own 2 hardware sabers...and this is my favorite.

formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    From
    Colorado

The Big Yellow Box is a great place for building a lightsaber; they have about 8 different model; each one has detailed instructions and a parts list, as well as the recommended store to get them from. Hope it helps.

Ah, yeah, forgot about TBYB. I made the Vader style hilt that's on that website. While building it, I couldn't find the thin-walled PVC, so it turned out kind of crappy with the thick-walled stuff, which was too big for the drain tube. Since then I have found the right PVC, and I'm using it for my custom Mando blaster.

-Chris

Heres my four sabers including my youngling in progress saber and my in progress Nihilus mask.

From

I saw those over at TIA, very nice work.

I'll Check TBYB for the stuff, as long as it's not too expensive. My mom is already about to kill me 'cause I talked her into 3 cans of paint for my armor. Theres a craft shop around that going out of business and we go them for 20% off, just under $15.

That must be some high quality paint. I got 3 cans for $8 for my Mando.

If it helps, my Vader style lightsaber cost about $15. It was made with a metal drain pipe, PVC, windshield wiper for grips, screws for the grips, and some random things for a button and knob. I used a dremel to cut the PVC, but the cuts weren't too detailed, so it could probably be done with a hacksaw too.

Also if you do make a Vader or Anakin style and want it accurate as possible i suggest going here:

http://www.blast-tech.com

He sails accuarate industrial quality grips pre curved to fit a 1 1/2 inch pipe. Its the ones pictured above on my other saber(not the youngling one). 10$ for a pack of 6

Yeah, I've looked through that site, everything looks awesome. Someday I'll turn a pipe into an ESB Luke saber...

Also would love an ESB Han blaster.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

You can use real camera flashes of course. Best deals are on eBay.
    Here's my custom, and you-know-who's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lightsabers-005-jpg  

From

MandoMan said:
    That must be some high quality paint. I got 3 cans for $8 for my Mando.
    Well, it's Krylon spraypaint. I got a grey primer, a cherry red, and a navy blue (out of black ). But, it should work out well.
    I just finished cutting some thigh, shin, knee, and foot armor for my suit.
    I didn't use and templates, and I have to give the knees a sharper angle. There's no details on the knee, so it's just a piece of armor.
    I hope this turns out as good as I hoped. Wish me luck.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Parksabers makes awesome sabers or you could make one. The Big Yellow Box has instructions and parts lists so I recomend that. If you want a detachable blade go Parksabers. If you want a movie accurate saber go Master Replicas.