Weathering and Battle scaring

Scoutleader

Active Hunter
Looking at the postings of projects I have notice some AWESOME weathering and battle scaring.
I know everyone has there own idea and techniqe for the "real look".I am looking for difference of input on how to weather and give my outfit the battle look once I get started.
Thank you a head time for the input and suggestions

Well, that's a pretty broad topic.
I think that most techniques would fall into 2 main types of damage; layered, and topical.

For the topical method, you would apply the base color first, and then paint the damage on over it. Eg: Boba's chest armor. Paint the dark green over the whole piece, then apply the silver, then the zinc yellow "chips" around the silver. (Or vice versa: paint on the yellow, then silver over that.)

For layered damage, using the same example, you would first spray the entire piece silver, then mask off any areas to remain silver, then spray on the zinc yellow, mask those areas off, and apply the dark green as the final coat.

That would take care of the major color application. For weathering, there are tons of different methods. You can use a sharp tool to actually scratch through your paintjob, you can sand the edges of your piece to show edge wear, you can apply powdered pastels to dirty things up (or lightly airbrush some gray/brown/black), you can dry-brush a contrasting color, you could "mist" the entire piece with spray paint, or do a "wash" with thinned paint. Lots of techniques depending on what kind of effect you're after.

Also try looking at older vehicles, or construction equipment. They are banged up quite a bit and should provide great reference for a more realistic paint job. :cheers

I use mustard as a masking liquid, it gives a nice random damage effect when you rub it off :D

For example.. here's something I did a while back
Setup
101_0701.jpg

Apply mustard where you want silver to show through
101_0703.jpg

Paint
101_0705.jpg

Paint dries
101_0708.jpg

Rub off mustard and wash mustard out of crevices with wet paper towel, let dry
101_0711.jpg

I've read that some brands of silver can be stained by using mustard.
Why not use masking fluid or liquid latex? It's what they're designed for, and don't run the risk of staining your basecoat.

I've read that some brands of silver can be stained by using mustard.
Why not use masking fluid or liquid latex? It's what they're designed for, and don't run the risk of staining your basecoat.
Because Mustard in most cases is cheaper, and we have it around our house.

Also because Masking Fluid is sometimes 20 or more dollars.

If it works, then it works.

I've used the mustard trick with Testors Chrome and Rustoleum Silver Metallic Finish and no stains here. I use it because it's cheap and I have alot of it ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back