Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 14, 2010, 2:40 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #51

Does Anybody have Pep boot covers?
  2. mrfister is offline mrfister
    May 14, 2010, 5:01 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #52

Ive got callmemilo's boots here. Files are scaled to my 6'4'' suit build so you may have to fiddle with the scale
    May 14, 2010, 5:46 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #53

Thanks!
  4. Member Since
    May 2010
    May 14, 2010, 9:31 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #54

ok guys, i would really appreciate your help here. i am brand new to this whole costume thing. i am breaking my head trying to figure out how to make the helmet and rest of the body a round and smooth shape. i know the whole resin part but im lost after that
    May 14, 2010, 9:46 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #55

Quote ACE said: View Post
    ok guys, i would really appreciate your help here. i am brand new to this whole costume thing. i am breaking my head trying to figure out how to make the helmet and rest of the body a round and smooth shape. i know the whole resin part but im lost after that
    I'm just a prop & model builder myself . . . but here's the simplest advice anybody can give you.

1. Take the complex overall shape, break it down to the simplest elements, and start with those.
    2. Once you have the rough shapes right, the hard part is done. Giving everything a smooth finish will be relatively easy.
    3. Learn by doing. Even a failed project can teach you something.
  6. Member Since
    May 2010
    May 14, 2010, 9:53 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #56

yeah but im talkin bout ... for example, the helmet. the pep helmet of iron man has a lot of edges an corners. what materials would i b able to put over the pep that would give me the ability to sand down and paint over it so the helmet would be smooth and round?? if anything, you can email me. its easier access for me anyway. looneytunes13@aol.com
    May 14, 2010, 10:11 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #57

yeah but im talkin bout ... for example, the helmet. the pep helmet of iron man has a lot of edges an corners. what materials would i b able to put over the pep that would give me the ability to sand down and paint over it so the helmet would be smooth and round?? if anything, you can email me. its easier access for me anyway. looneytunes13@aol.com
    If it was my build . . . I'd build the faceplate as it appears in the pep file. Then skim over the surface with some type of hardening modeling clay, like Milliput or Sculpey. Once sanded smooth, the hardened clay would be pretty thin, just enough to fill the low spots in your build. That's important, any filler that's laid on too thick runs a risk of shrinking, cracking, or chipping away. But a thin layer is pretty durable. Plus, if you make a mold from it, it won't matter anyway.
  8. Member Since
    May 2010
    May 15, 2010, 3:58 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #58

Do you think fiberglass cloth will work as well?? by the way, I realy appreciate all of the tips
    May 15, 2010, 1:33 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #59

Do you think fiberglass cloth will work as well?? by the way, I realy appreciate all of the tips
    Yeah, that would work great. Just remember to make your base shapes slightly undersized, to compensate for the thickness of the matting. That way, when you add the fiberglass outer layer, your helmet won't come out too large.
  10. Member Since
    May 2010
    May 15, 2010, 9:12 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #60

Oh nice stealth !
    Thats still the 1.9 scale ? or you changed it ?
    This size looks perfect for me i hope its the 1.9 scale, then i'll dont have to rescale it x]
    May 16, 2010, 5:07 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #61

im confused how it looks perfect for you? I' 5'6 and I used 1.8 scale and modified different parts after they were built so they would fit me ok, like the legs.
    May 16, 2010, 5:38 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #62

strengthened the inside of the entire upper parts minus the guns. I just attatched everything temporarily not really measuring lengths and what not, just mocked up quick to see how it looks on me

I think it flows nicely and mobility is really nice, especially on the shoulders, They just move with you when you raise your arms.

hopefully I can start some body work soon, I'm getting sick of seeing it in white. ugh..

oh ignore the muscle suit, its something I tried to make a while back. I just thought it would be good to wear to hold some parts up so they didn't fall, like the biceps and forearms since there is padding there .
    (but they started to drop anyways so it was a fail lol)

May 17, 2010, 6:40 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #63

Sweet!
  14. Member Since
    May 2010
    May 20, 2010, 5:16 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #64

hey stealth1, can you help me out here?? im sorry for the constant bothering. ive neer used pepakura and i dont get how am i supposed to create the suit. how is printing the outline on regular printer paper supposed to end up as pieces that fit my body?? if you can help me out further, im 5'5. maybe you can help me with the scaling... honestly, i need this whole project explained to me. i was hoping to construct it with my dad. sort of a "father-son" bonding project. thank you so much in advanced
    May 21, 2010, 4:18 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #65

I'm gonna have to make a video soon to answer all these questions. That's too much to type out right now.

There's a lot to know so look out for the video.

for now just search youtube for pepakura, everything I learned was there.
  16. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 2, 2010, 10:10 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #66

i read on another website, also a thread you are on, that you used card style paper. thats a great help to me. i was going to use regular old computer paper... what is the scaling formula you used?? i see different types of formulas and i dont know which is correct
  17. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 3, 2010, 7:41 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #67

Very nice work...good build
    Jun 4, 2010, 1:14 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #68

hey ACE, i'm 5'6 I used 1.8 scale, use that as reference, hope that helps
  19. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 4, 2010, 8:51 PM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #69

well im 5'5 so a 1.8 scale should fit me as well. thanks a lot. i appreciate it... so i just go to "2D settings" in pepakura and put 1.8?? in the files i have, the scale says 48. (something).
    Jun 5, 2010, 12:10 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #70

2d menu----> recalculate part layout - then change the scale. Youll see where it says SCALE. I suggest changing the legs to 1.7. (thigh and shins)
  21. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jun 5, 2010, 12:38 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #71

Stealth once again you've gone and outdone yourself on this one, you've done a awesome job and I wish my skills were as good as yours but I'm only just a good unfolder my hands are'nt so good so I have to hire people to build my stuff. Also thanks sooo much for sharing the files for War Machine and the scale now I can ee about redoing War Machine myself.
  22. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 5, 2010, 2:45 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #72

I agree. You've really outdone yourself. You have amazing skill at this... And thank you for all the help everyone. I hope I can make this project come out a success
    Jun 5, 2010, 5:15 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #73

np guys, the 405th goes down alot so I just hosted the files that were already being shared so that people dont have to wait around.
  24. mrfister is offline mrfister
    Jun 5, 2010, 9:29 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #74

I have altered and unfolded war machine files if anyone has a need for them. They're scaled to my 6'4" frame. The files were built by other artists and I have altered them without permission, so I will not be posting links to them. If you would like them, private message me.
    Jun 5, 2010, 11:08 AM - Re: WAR MACHINE COSTUME (IRON MAN 2) MOVIE ARMOR - WIP #75

Quote mrfister said: View Post
    I have altered and unfolded war machine files if anyone has a need for them. They're scaled to my 6'4" frame. The files were built by other artists and I have altered them without permission, so I will not be posting links to them. If you would like them, private message me.
    not to be a moron, but you should always ask permission, and should not be releasing them at ALL unless you have that permission. Dungbeetle is not sharing his great files anymore because people were editing his files without permission and without crediting him. It would be VERY bad it more modellers quit. Just a friendly FYI.