Subscribe
    Jan 20, 2011, 9:38 AM - Using plastic from "totes" or "bins". #1

I am currently deployed in Iraq, but when I get home I would like to begin a Boba Fett project. I saw a video in which the kid says he used the plastic from the "totes" or bins that are used for storing stuff. He then used a propane torch to heat and bend the plastic to shape(I would use a heat gun). I want to know if this is a good way to go, as I want a finished product that looks fantastic. It need not be movie quality, but it would be an insult to the Fett man to have it look like some cheap halloween costume. I can faux paint it no problem, I just want to know how well the technique works. Thanks.
    Jan 20, 2011, 11:34 AM - Re: Using plastic from "totes" or "bins". #2

People have made some pretty decent armor from plastic garbage cans in the past, so I don't see why bins wouldn't work.

Even better is Sintra -- can still be shaped with a heat gun or by boiling it, but because it is thicker, you can create bevelled edges and give it more of a finished and substantial look. You can get it at sign shops (ask for scraps) or a plastic supplier.
    Jan 20, 2011, 11:43 AM - Re: Using plastic from "totes" or "bins". #3

Sheets of plastic like Sintra would also be cheaper than a tote, and hold paint much better.
    Jan 20, 2011, 12:20 PM - Re: Using plastic from "totes" or "bins". #4

Hey thanks for the advice. I actually ended up buying vaccuformed armor so that way I will have the gauntlets as well. But I may try sintra for the shin tools.
    Jan 22, 2011, 12:02 AM - Re: Using plastic from "totes" or "bins". #5

I made some armor a while back with some tote containers and plastic garbage cans. Here is a few pics:

forming the back piece was the hard part, but a good heat gun, some patience, and a little skill and you can make it work pretty good. I made some gaunts out of a parking sign too. There are many great options to save some cash.
  6. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    Jan 22, 2011, 7:02 AM - Re: Using plastic from "totes" or "bins". #6

Quote scuba2006 said: View Post
    Hey thanks for the advice. I actually ended up buying vaccuformed armor so that way I will have the gauntlets as well. But I may try sintra for the shin tools.
    Gez that didnt take you long, Good choice to making your own is geat but it can end up costing as much as bying ready made, plus time and efort going in to making them it all adds up
    Feb 14, 2011, 6:09 AM - Re: Using plastic from "totes" or "bins". #7

my armor was made from totes. haven't tried any sintra yet, but I've heard good things.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/membe...andoarmor2.bmp