Subscribe
    Jun 1, 2004, 10:57 AM - Trimming a FG helmet #1

Hey guys,

I'm starting to trim my MS Mystery and I'm having trouble with the visor area. I've got a knockoff dremel tool that cuts pretty decently, but it's hard to get into the corners of the eyes and such. I was wondering how you guys do it? Would a sharp exacto cut FG at all?

Also, I'm trying to get the thickness of the visor area (between the visor and outer edge of helmet) to be as movie accurate as possible. What thickness should I go for? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bartek
    Jun 1, 2004, 11:34 AM - Re: Trimming a FG helmet #2

If I remember correctly, I did mine 1/8 of an inch.
    I used alot of flat hand files when I got close.
    Jun 1, 2004, 12:15 PM - Re: Trimming a FG helmet #3

Thanks mate!

Jedi-Bob wrote:

If I remember correctly, I did mine 1/8 of an inch.
    I used alot of flat hand files when I got close.
  4. Member Since
    May 2002
    Jun 3, 2004, 11:46 PM - Re: Trimming a FG helmet #4

I use a die grinder (think pneumatic dremel) with a 3 inch diameter arbor-mounted saw blade. It looks kind of like the bone saws that pathologists use. Of course, since it's a big free-spining saw blade that has no guard, it's super dangerous to do it that way. I wear cut-proof gloves while I use it.
    Jun 4, 2004, 1:46 AM - Re: Trimming a FG helmet #5

Hey Bobo, generally what I like to do is cut away the bulk of the visor from the outside using a fiberglass reinforced cutting disc, its a common accessory for the dremel or simular style rotory tool. Then cut the hard to get at areas like the corners of the T-visor from the inside using the same cutting disc. This method works great if your dremel is small enough to manuver around the inside of the bucket. My old dremel was too big for that. Then you can go to work and sand the visor area down to your desired depth by hand or, I like to use a detail sander. Up to you. Hope this helps.

6. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Jun 4, 2004, 11:17 AM - Re: Trimming a FG helmet #6

MARROW SUN wrote:

Hey Bobo, generally what I like to do is cut away the bulk of the visor from the outside using a fiberglass reinforced cutting disc, its a common accessory for the dremel or simular style rotory tool. Then cut the hard to get at areas like the corners of the T-visor from the inside using the same cutting disc.
    That's what I do for all my various buckets' eye and mouth holes (Fett, trooper, Rocketeer, etc.), only I use a cone-shaped grinding tool from the inside instead of a cut-off wheel. Works like a charm, just go slow and easy when working on the inside.

Wayne
    Jun 4, 2004, 1:21 PM - Re: Trimming a FG helmet #7

I bought my bucket from Marrow and used his technique! Worked like a charm! Thanks for the advice!
    Jun 22, 2004, 12:02 PM - Re: Trimming a FG helmet #8

make sure you wear a respirator or at least a dust mask when cutting FG. that stuff can be very nasty if it gets in your lungs.
    Jun 24, 2004, 2:19 AM - Re: Trimming a FG helmet #9

Yeah what goat said...after a day of inhaling dust and Bondo fumes....not very fun.