Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Mar 12, 2010, 4:38 PM - Templar Mando #1

Ive been thinking about doing a Templar/Mando concept for a couple days now and I finally broke down and worked on i in illustrator for a little while. It's very basic, but has most of what I want. Please understand this isn't supposed to be a direct relation to either mandalorian armor or templar armor. Most of the responses I've gotten on the MMCC have been more like "take off the crosses, change the color, remove the loin cloth, no energy sword stick with steel, etc. I like the way it looks, however I am up for constructive criticism that still goes with the initlal idea. I do not want to change it a whole lot as I've spent the past couple of days doing random sketches figuring out what i like and dont like. This is 90% done as far as I'm concerned, but a few tweeks here and there arn't going to ruin it.

Note that any exposed undersuit areas will be chainmail with a grey cloth underneath to avoid pinching. there will be no neckplate or backplate, because of the chainmail covering the neck and the cape covering the back. The helmet is shaped a little more like a crusader helmet would be with the flattened top. The "vest" will actually continue down into the loin cloth as seen with some knights. Th belt will have the standard boba look with some pouches on both sides and a buckle in the middle.

The rest should be self explanatory so tell me what you think. Please keep in mind I am no aiming for membership in any sort of group as I already have it with m TD in the 501st, and Im not all that interested in MMCC membership with this particular suit (i have other concepts still floating in my head).

Th sword will either be blue, or red like darth vader. (think of the sword as a bastard sword turned into a halo-esque energy sword)

Here are the pics of my concept with the original artwork that I used for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails templar-jpg   templarmando-jpg   mandotemplar-jpg  

Last edited by SuperTrooper; Mar 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
  2. Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Mar 12, 2010, 9:41 PM - Re: Custom Templar/Mando hybrid concept #2

i really like this! nice custom! great idea! keep it upp!
    Mar 12, 2010, 10:17 PM - Re: Custom Templar/Mando hybrid concept #3

Yes, very interesting concept. You are very creatively minded.
    If you want to go even further with the futuristic weapons, you could try something like the gungan energy shield;

Best of luck.
    Mar 12, 2010, 11:08 PM - Re: Custom Templar/Mando hybrid concept #4

thats not a bad idea! maybe I'll see about incorporating an energy shield variant into the design somehow. Most likely going to be curved plexiglass tinted either red or left clear, then sandblasted to allow the EL wire to dispurse the light better throughout the shield. we'll see
    Mar 13, 2010, 2:05 PM - Re: Custom Templar/Mando hybrid concept #5

Sacrificing my aluminum Jango armor for my concept templar? Ive got it lying around waiting to be used for my Jango, and frankly its going to take forever to get the stuff together for my Jango when I could easily finish the Templar concept fairly soon using the armor I have, but using masking fluid over the rubnbuff to show the score marks of battle on the white armor plates. The legs will remain RnB silver though as seen in the concept art. What do you guys think?
    Mar 13, 2010, 4:42 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #6

Stick with the colour scheme you've got in the third concept art, have you thought about having a broadsword style hilt?
    Mar 13, 2010, 5:57 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #7

I thought about it a little bit. Maybe I'll make a saber hilt that resembles a broadsword. Not sure. But do you guys think it would be worth it to sacrifice my armor from my Jango project for this project for the sake of finishing it?
    Mar 14, 2010, 8:24 AM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #8

I'd say go for it, There's plenty of Jango's out there so he can wait for a while... But this beast deserves a goe
    Mar 15, 2010, 9:46 AM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #9

im curious, how do you plan to do the chainmail?

LOTR way? With plastic rings?

Chainmail is something ive always wnated to make
    Mar 15, 2010, 12:21 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #10

Currently I have wound several coils of 14 guage galvanized steel wire around some threaded rod which makes it relatively easy to wind when the threads of the rod match the width of the wire. I'm going to make a straight cut own the side of the coils which will leave me with even rings all the way. Just start interlocking the rings and close them with needle nose pliers. Thats the plan anyway. So far I would say I have enough spring coils made to produce close to 200 rings. I would have gone with plastic rings (if I had known about them before I bought the steel wire) but I like to try and stay realistic with my materials. Hence my made from scratch hammered aluminum plate armor for my Jango.

I could always make a better set later on down the road I suppose for my Jango when I get around to making it as some details are a little off, and my attempt at making a backplate in Aluminum didn't go to well.
    Mar 15, 2010, 8:38 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #11

I have decided to save the aluminum armor for the Jango and use all new trashcan armor for the Templar. Look out Sterilite........my blade will find you
    Mar 17, 2010, 11:02 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #12

Picked up some red and white paint for the suit. All I need now is to get the fabric and leather. Plus a little clay for the two gold disks that hold my cape on. The rest will come very slowly. Any idea on where to find masking fluid for a weathered effect similar to the stuff used for a Boba helmet?
    Mar 18, 2010, 11:48 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #13

After being impatient about making new armor for the project I went ahead and painted over the rubnbuff on the ab, cod, chest, diamond, and shoulder bells for this suit. The helmet, gaunts, thighs, shins, and boot plates are being left rubnbuff silver with no paint application (once I get a good comparison of the total armor look I may decide differently). The initial white layer is laid down on the chest plates, diamond, ab, collar, shoulder bells, and cod. Red mythosaur is done on the left chest, and diamond so far, as well as a mythosaur skull that has been cut out of some red fabric waiting to be sewn into the cape. Still need some proper wire cutters to get started on the chainmail. Vest, cape and "leg flap" loin cloths have been cut out and are awaiting some sewing of their own as well. The bottom of the cape will be left unhemmed to allow for a nice frayed look. The masking tape I'm using in some spots has taken off the white base layer exposing the rubnbuff which looks really good. Things still needed are some proper boots, gloves, and leather for the sheath, belt, and bandolierish strap across my chest. Sculpey clay is being used to make the two gold "coins" that are linked by a chain and keep the cape in place.

Pictures are coming I promise. Just want to get the painting on the armor done first.
    Mar 25, 2010, 7:02 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #14

Got an update for you guys. Most of the armor has been painted. Just waiting on the helmet to arrive and I still have to make the custom gaunts. but thats about it other than getting a greay undersuit, some leather strapping, and finishing up my chainmail. Lemme know what you guys think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0781-jpg   dscf0785-jpg   dscf0789-jpg  

dscf0779-jpg   dscf0788-jpg   dscf0780-jpg  

dscf0774-jpg   dscf0787-jpg   dscf0778-jpg  

dscf0775-jpg   dscf0786-jpg   dscf0783-jpg  

dscf0784-jpg   dscf0782-jpg   dscf0776-jpg  

dscf0795-jpg  
  15. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Mar 25, 2010, 7:11 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #15

SICK! That turned out REALLY good bud....I thought it would.
    Mar 25, 2010, 7:20 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #16

yeah for the silver effect i just used some masking tape over the dry but not quite cured paint to rip on bits and pieces and then i lit a piece of cloth on fire under the flates and moved it around to get the carbon scoring look to it. Also lit the fringes of my cape and legs flaps on fire to get a burnt carbon score look. I like it so far. with a zipper installed in th vest as well as a belt installed it will look twice as good. I'll see if I cant put it on over my blue undersuit just for a demo pic until I get th right color jumpsuit. Maybe I'll bleach my jumpsuit and die it black for a short bit to make it gray......we'll see.

Im using the extra long braided tube to go from one gaunt to the other around my back. It was cheaper than buying two. The short one will go to the gaunt that has the flamethrower.
  17. Mar 25, 2010, 7:21 PM - Re: Sacrifice my aluminum Jango armor that is already RnB'ed for my Templar concept? #17

Dang! that's just too cool. Looks like your Jango stuff went to a good project.
    Apr 1, 2010, 1:50 AM - Re: Templar Mando #18

Have you seen my Templar inspired Mando?

Apr 1, 2010, 10:21 PM - Re: Templar Mando #19

I have to admit the title is what pulled me in, the concept was cool, but the execution is absolutely amazing.....
    Apr 18, 2010, 2:07 AM - Re: Templar Mando #20

Haven't seen any progress on this thread, so I figured I would show you my new tabard and maybe get this going again.

Apr 22, 2010, 12:04 AM - Re: Templar Mando #21

i havent seen this thread until now, but i sit in class all the time and wonder what it would look like to have a mando crossed with a templar. great minds think alike i guess
  22. Member Since
    May 2010
    May 11, 2010, 3:26 PM - Re: Templar Mando #22

I am so jealous of the guns, those don't look like nerf guns, but they still have a solid look to them. Are they complete scratch builds, a hodge podge of different guns put together or was that just one gun that you found and painted?
    May 12, 2010, 12:48 AM - Re: Templar Mando #23

MiniatureGeek said: View Post
    I am so jealous of the guns, those don't look like nerf guns, but they still have a solid look to them. Are they complete scratch builds, a hodge podge of different guns put together or was that just one gun that you found and painted?
    The one in his right hand with the large clip is the Nerf lookalike brand Air Zone, and it's the Photon Burst Power Blaster.
    See Toys R Us link: Photon Burst Power Blaster
    May 12, 2010, 8:45 AM - Re: Templar Mando #24

Yup it is. Just some repainting & you got mine. I am going to chop off the large clip here soon & add a scope. If it were a Nerf, I would totally dismantle it, but since it's an off brand, I figured it's not as recognizable.
    May 12, 2010, 8:46 AM - Re: Templar Mando #25

Oh and my girlfriend's is a Big Lots knock off "blaster". It even has a pretty awesome sound to it. $5 for hers.