Subscribe
  1. RedBeard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    168
    Sep 4, 2016, 7:45 PM - Smooth-on oomoo 25 help #1

    Hey guys . I'm taking a break from my Boba Fett costume, to work on my Sandtrooper field pack. I'm trying to make a mold, but I think I'm making it harder than it needs to be. Do you guys have any tips? The walls are kinda messed up...I'm thinking I definitely need mold release. Thanks for any help



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. dv8r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    364
    Sep 5, 2016, 12:40 AM - Re: Smooth-on oomoo 25 help #2

    Quote RedBeard said: View Post
    Hey guys . I'm taking a break from my Boba Fett costume, to work on my Sandtrooper field pack. I'm trying to make a mold, but I think I'm making it harder than it needs to be. Do you guys have any tips? The walls are kinda messed up...I'm thinking I definitely need mold release. Thanks for any help
    Mold release will definitely help; I've used this one with Smooth on (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013IZSDM) and it works pretty well. They also make a couple of different set-time mixtures (but that may only be for the plastic used in casting from your mold), and using one of the longer ones allows a bit of stirring onto your master to help fill all the small details and remove bubbles. The most success I've had making the mold is with using Legos to frame a pool and suspending the master over the top, then filling the pool up and over the edge of the master, trimming it out after the silicone dries/hardens. Here's a pic of that, maybe that will help make sense of the description:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1664.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	102869
  4. RedBeard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    168
    Sep 5, 2016, 1:34 PM - Re: Smooth-on oomoo 25 help #3

    I think I understand what you've done there...thank you for the help
  5. Skyfire's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    240
    Sep 8, 2016, 8:44 PM - Re: Smooth-on oomoo 25 help #4

    Task series is a better product. OOMOO is too easy to tear and is not very rigid, mold life is very limited.

    That CRC mold release is nasty nasty stuff, I used it once when I was out of the good stuff, I would stay away at all costs.

    I only recommend using MANN ease release 200 aerosol or 205 liquid. Smooth on site or below.

    Buy Ease ReleaseĀ® 200 & 205 General Purpose Release Agent from Reynolds Advanced Materials
  6. RedBeard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    168
    Sep 8, 2016, 9:00 PM - Re: Smooth-on oomoo 25 help #5

    Quote Skyfire said: View Post
    Task series is a better product. OOMOO is too easy to tear and is not very rigid, mold life is very limited.

    That CRC mold release is nasty nasty stuff, I used it once when I was out of the good stuff, I would stay away at all costs.

    I only recommend using MANN ease release 200 aerosol or 205 liquid. Smooth on site or below.

    Buy Ease ReleaseĀ 200 & 205 General Purpose Release Agent from Reynolds Advanced Materials
    Nasty in what way?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  7. Skyfire's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    240
    Sep 8, 2016, 9:53 PM - Re: Smooth-on oomoo 25 help #6

    The CRC has a bad odor (I do wear a resperator when doing projects though) it left yellow residue on my molds and parts and was hard to clean off, basically I did not like the results. The Mann 200 aerosol is nearly odorless and leaves almost no residue behind and is easy to clean off of my gelcote and resin parts. The Mann 205 is brushed on and is great where you can't get aerosol spray into. Yes the Mann might cost a few bucks more, but I believe in spending a few bucks more upfront to get a quality mold and product. It will cost you more in the long run to use cheap stuff. I have learned the hard way that OOMOO and CRC mold release are not great products. Well that is my opinion, and not the expressed written opinion of The Dented Helmet and its subsidiaries.
    Last edited by Skyfire; Sep 9, 2016 at 1:13 AM.
  8. RedBeard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    168
    Sep 8, 2016, 10:06 PM - Re: Smooth-on oomoo 25 help #7

    Lol I thank you for your opinion. Maybe I'll give em both a try.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  9. Skyfire's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    240
    Sep 14, 2016, 10:52 PM - Re: Smooth-on oomoo 25 help #8

    Quote RedBeard said: View Post
    Lol I thank you for your opinion. Maybe I'll give em both a try.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    RedBeard, I had task series urethane on my brain the other day and misspoke. I ment to say to use Mold Star brand silicone.
  10. RedBeard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    168
    Sep 14, 2016, 11:12 PM - Re: Smooth-on oomoo 25 help #9

    Quote Skyfire said: View Post
    RedBeard, I had task series urethane on my brain the other day and misspoke. I ment to say to use Mold Star brand silicone.
    Thank you! I'll look into that. I tried making a mold yesterday, and it was just riddled with bubbles. I followed all the directions and tech manuals...not a fan of oomoo 25 at all.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Question on getting a smooth gloss finish
    By foosbabaganoosh in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 22, 2016, 12:38 PM
  2. THIS IS HOW FAST SMOOTH ON 320 CURES
    By NoGoodToM3D3ad in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Mar 17, 2014, 11:07 AM
  3. Smooth-on RETAIL OUTLET!!!
    By stormtrooperguy in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 2, 2009, 9:00 AM
  4. remove paint from smooth cast roto?
    By Kwally89 in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Feb 17, 2009, 5:12 PM
  5. Trying to find smooth ABS
    By Dr No in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 7, 2006, 6:35 PM