Subscribe
    Dec 7, 2005, 9:16 PM - Sintra question #1

My dad works at a printing company and as a result, there's quite a lot of various materials that have accumulated in my garage. Just junk he's happened to bring home every now and then. Most of it is foamcore, but there's also a big piece of some kind of plastic, although I don't know what it is. It's about 6mm thick, and 3' x 4'. I can tell it's been cut along one of the 4' sides, so it could have originally been 4' x 8' and just trimmed down, so I'm thinking it is sintra. Is there any way to tell for sure?
    Dec 8, 2005, 1:29 PM - Re: Sintra question #2

Sounds about right. Sintra comes in 4x8 sheets typically. Is it denses? Post a pic we may be able to tell you.
    Dec 8, 2005, 8:05 PM - Re: Sintra question #3

I'll post a photo if you want me to, but it wouldn't be very detailed, as it's just a big white rectangle. Later on tonight I'm going to try and cut off a small piece and boil it and see if it will keep its shape if I bend it. This thing fits all the characteristics of sintra that I know of, and if it holds shape after being boiled, well then, I've got some armor material.

Addendum: Cut out a small piece, boiled it and managed to give it a pretty gentle bend, and it held quite well. Here's a photo, and in case you can't tell, this stuff is crazy thick. I had to boil it for nearly a minute, and then really muscle it to get it to bend. It might be a bit thick, but I think it'll work, and on the plus side, I didn't pay one thin dime for it.
    Last edited by CenteroftheMind; Dec 8, 2005 at 10:47 PM.