Subscribe
    Jun 19, 2007, 2:29 AM - Scratchbuilding tools #1

With the flood of scratchbuilt costumes being seen on this forum, I would like to see what some of you use to cut, glue, fill, sand, etc. This could be an informative tool to some of us new to propmaking.

I use a razorknife to cut pretty much everything, Quik Steel and Quik Plastic as filler, and to strengthen weak joints. Super glue(mostly for gluing me back together after I cut myself), hot glue, and Tenax-7r to glue plastics. (The hot glue is just to "tack" in place). The Tenax-7r is like model cement, but it doesnt melt the plastic as much, and it creates a weld-like bond.(open the windows for this stuff). It is hard to find, so look in hobby shops and online for it.
    I use a sponge sanding block to sand everything. I like these, because the pressure you use is equal to the amount of stuff you want to clear away. It is like having an assortment of sandpaper on one block. I use Fimo polymer clay to sculpt small stuff that is too detailed (or dangerous to my fingers) to cut into shape.

I hope this is of some use to someone out there. Let me know what you are using.

There is no "best method." There is only the best method for you.
    Jun 19, 2007, 10:37 AM - Re: Scratchbuilding tools #2

I haven't used the QuikSteel brand epoxy putty, but something similar.
    That's great stuff!!
    And I should buy stock in some super glue companies. I probably go through 20 or 30 tubes of super glue a year on various projects.
    Jun 19, 2007, 11:02 AM - Re: Scratchbuilding tools #3

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    And I should buy stock in some super glue companies. I probably go through 20 or 30 tubes of super glue a year on various projects.
    Same here. I also never thought I would go through this much sandpaper in my entire life!