Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Mar 12, 2009, 7:00 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #26

Quote Firespray Pilot said: View Post
    Hey, there's a guy on Ebay selling a Rorschach mask that has moving ink blots. Run a search for item # 200317527672. It appears that he may be using the heat activated paints, and he uses his breath to activate them, but I'm not sure . It looks pretty cool. It's also climbing steep on the bids. Check it out.
    Sold for like $800...
  2. Mar 12, 2009, 10:40 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #27

$800, wow!!!!

i'll bet that person is gonna be disappointed. if you watch the first video that ebay seller posted you can see how hard he's breathing inside of his mask just to make it change color a little bit. it looks like he's going to hyperventilate!
    and in the second video, i'm pretty sure that he has a space heater in front of him and out of camera view and that's why it reacts so much better than it did in the first video. rip off.

and didn't i say something about hypercolor shirts in my first post?
    IE, heat reactive ink.
    Mar 13, 2009, 1:24 AM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #28

i cant believe that went for almost $800... prolly cost $50-60 to make.
    Mar 13, 2009, 9:42 AM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #29

WOW! Ah yeah, that was really steep. I almost fell over when I saw that .
    Looking forward to see what you guys come up with !
    Last edited by Firespray Pilot; Mar 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM.
    Mar 13, 2009, 10:57 AM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #30

Kwally89's effort looks like the best so far, I should know, I'm working on one myself. I've been researching leuco dyes and thermochromatic paints and found a few that look like they'd work.

One industry sales rep actually asked me why so many people are writing him asking about this in the last few days. ( Probably a bunch of fellow prop-building fans like us. ) When I told him, he thought it was a pretty cool idea but was partially upset that so many people wouldn't tell him what was going on. ( A lot of people with $$ signs in their eyes and hopes of selling masks on eBay for $780 each, perhaps? ) The sales rep was also partially relieved that at least I was willing to level with him and say WHY I wanted the dye. In fact he was so appreciative that someone finally leveled with him he started telling me all sorts of dyes and paints that he didn't bother to tell anyone else.

Based on this I have a good deal of confidence that I can make my own moving mask but Kwally89's effort has the PERFECT dual pattern layout and appears to be getting done via silkscreening if I'm not mistaken. ( Mine would only be hand painted. Yuck. ) Not to over-hype it, but Kwally's really got the best deal going. Considering as how I was willing to toss $300+ into this, his price for a mask can't be passed up on.
    Last edited by fifthrider; Mar 13, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
    Mar 13, 2009, 2:41 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #31

Wow, I never even thought of thermochromatic paint. Brilliant! I'm excited to see how your masks turn out Kwally
    Mar 13, 2009, 3:10 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #32

Quote fifthrider said: View Post
    Kwally89's effort looks like the best so far, I should know, I'm working on one myself. I've been researching leuco dyes and thermochromatic paints and found a few that look like they'd work.

One industry sales rep actually asked me why so many people are writing him asking about this in the last few days. ( Probably a bunch of fellow prop-building fans like us. ) When I told him, he thought it was a pretty cool idea but was partially upset that so many people wouldn't tell him what was going on. ( A lot of people with $$ signs in their eyes and hopes of selling masks on eBay for $780 each, perhaps? ) The sales rep was also partially relieved that at least I was willing to level with him and say WHY I wanted the dye. In fact he was so appreciative that someone finally leveled with him he started telling me all sorts of dyes and paints that he didn't bother to tell anyone else.

Based on this I have a good deal of confidence that I can make my own moving mask but Kwally89's effort has the PERFECT dual pattern layout and appears to be getting done via silkscreening if I'm not mistaken. ( Mine would only be hand painted. Yuck. ) Not to over-hype it, but Kwally's really got the best deal going. Considering as how I was willing to toss $300+ into this, his price for a mask can't be passed up on.

Glad you like my pattern and have faith in my product ! The patterns will be silk screened and heat cured to ensure professional adhesion. The fabric is a 4 way stretch knit that is VERY stretchy but has the texture that we desire from the screen used version. If anyone wants to follow the progress, I will direct you over to therpf.
    http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=59123
    Should be a fun prop!

Thanks,
    Kody
    Mar 15, 2009, 6:13 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #33

Just updated the progress over on the RPF with some test pics of ink'd fabric. Lemme know what you think!

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...422#post820422
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Mar 17, 2009, 3:22 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #34

Looks really good! great job! Just wish they were cheaper...
    Mar 18, 2009, 8:20 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #35

Well, I knew I'd find something here about a Rorschach mask. But, it's been so long since I cruised the prop message boards, I've had to re-register with everyone but bikerscout.net.

Apparently I'm really late jumping on this ship though. I can see you have a TON of orders from here and the RPF. If you do end up making a lot of these, I definitely want one. Just let me know when and if my name gets close on your list.

*crosses fingers*
    Mar 18, 2009, 8:25 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #36

Quote Soju said: View Post
    Well, I knew I'd find something here about a Rorschach mask. But, it's been so long since I cruised the prop message boards, I've had to re-register with everyone but bikerscout.net.

Apparently I'm really late jumping on this ship though. I can see you have a TON of orders from here and the RPF. If you do end up making a lot of these, I definitely want one. Just let me know when and if my name gets close on your list.

*crosses fingers*
    Haha! My plan is to do a totally open run so you should be fine unless this gets REALLY big. I can handle 60-70 orders. If it gets larger, I might run out of the fabric I found, and it will be difficult to find it from another supplier. I am also going to offer non-thermochromic (doesn't change) for a lot less. Some people might be interested in one of these if they are on a budget. Feel free to post screen caps of designs you'd like to have.

Kody
    Mar 18, 2009, 9:20 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #37

Sheesh, you even plan on custom inkblots? I'll just go with whatever turns out looking the best, or is easiest for you. I haven't seen any patterns I don't like. I have to admit, sometimes I just sit and watch the blots move around on his mask in the Watchmen video game.

Wow ... just realized what a huge nerd I am.

Anyway, are you still thinking of the same price range? I'll work a street corner if I have to.
    Mar 25, 2009, 4:30 AM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #38

Quote Kwally89 said: View Post
    Haha! My plan is to do a totally open run so you should be fine unless this gets REALLY big. I can handle 60-70 orders. If it gets larger, I might run out of the fabric I found, and it will be difficult to find it from another supplier. I am also going to offer non-thermochromic (doesn't change) for a lot less. Some people might be interested in one of these if they are on a budget. Feel free to post screen caps of designs you'd like to have.

Kody
    Been following your thread on the rpf and it looks like the mask will be awesome!
    Mar 25, 2009, 9:59 AM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #39

Thanks for the support guys! I've been swamped at work and with classes, but I will have a prototype done this weekend for sure!

Kody
  15. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Mar 25, 2009, 3:54 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #40

Thanks for the support guys! I've been swamped at work and with classes, but I will have a prototype done this weekend for sure!

Kody
    Awesome! Looking forward to it
  16. Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Mar 26, 2009, 10:38 AM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #41

Kody

Cannot wait to see it.
    Mar 29, 2009, 12:12 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #42

Hey Kwally, can you post the pic of your prototype that you posted on the RPF. Those of us that aren't members over there cant see the attachment

can't wait to see the final product
    Mar 29, 2009, 12:22 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #43

It is just a pic of a sewn mask. There is no ink blot on it because it is FREEZING here, and the screen inks don't cure right at cold temps. The new pattern I drew up really eliminates any creases in the fabric and forms to your face perfectly! The fabric is also a 4 way stretch knit that has a nice texture that resembles the movie texture. Here is the mask:

Mar 29, 2009, 3:58 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #44

Impressive choice on the fabric. Some who make these masks overlook that. It really needs to be some kind of fabric knit pattern like you're using, not your average shiny spandex, etc. I cannot emphasize how much this is the best looking project for this so far.
  20. Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Mar 30, 2009, 10:56 AM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #45

Fabric looks great Kwally cannot wait to see the finished product
    Mar 30, 2009, 3:49 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #46

The fabric looks great!

yeah the weather's been crazy here in Colorado. It keeps switching between sunny t-shirt weather to blizzards.
  22. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Mar 30, 2009, 3:56 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #47

Love the mask, but isn't the sunken eye thing going to be a problem/make it look weird?
    Mar 30, 2009, 4:49 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #48

Quote Agent007 said: View Post
    Love the mask, but isn't the sunken eye thing going to be a problem/make it look weird?
    That is honestly just from the flash creating shadows. It really doesn't look like that in person.

Kody
  24. Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Mar 30, 2009, 7:49 PM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #49

If you buy a couple yards of some gauze like material you can see through you can sew it into a long tube that just fits around your head, and roll it up in the fedora. Airbrush the ink blot "sets" every eight inches or so, and when you want to change, just pull down some fabric and tuck the rest in your collar. At a party, it will look like the mask changes randomly through many patterns.
    Mar 31, 2009, 4:00 AM - Re: Rorschach Mask Possible? #50

Looks great!