R&B on blasters?

From
    Atlanta

R&B on blasters?

I've got a nice blaster pistol I've put together but I'm just not happy with the silver in it. It's convincing enough for most people but I'd like something to make it shine a little more. I know R&B does wonders on armor but can it be applied to blasters also? Mine has a lot of hard to reach spots and crevices. I've heard R&B needs a good friction going that I'm afraid I won't be able to generate on parts of the blaster. Any suggestions? Should I sand the already smooth plastic before hand? Thanks for the help.

From
    Newport News, VA

Re: R&B on blasters?

I've used Testors Metalizer paints before on props. They can be airbrushed on, and they also come in spray cans. They can be rubbed to a nicely convincing metal finish.
    If you need to get into small areas, there's a product called "Microbrushes" which are available at most hobby shops. They have a couple of different sizes, and they're basically a little tuft of soft fiber on a little plastic handle. They might work for buffing your crevices.
    Wait. . . that sounded bad.

From
    Oklahoma City

The RNB might work okay, but like you said you would have to be able to get some friction going even down in the crevices. I think painting it like SJ said would work better. You could also try the enamels made by Alclad. They have several metal colors.

http://www.alclad2.com/alclad-home.html

Make sure to spray a coat of future floor wax over the paint to protect the surface from fingerprints if you go this route.

Also with R'N'B you may find it rubs off after a while due to being handled, I think you can get good effects with paints and that is what I would use

From
    Atlanta

HeadlessHunter said: View Post
    Also with R'N'B you may find it rubs off after a while due to being handled, I think you can get good effects with paints and that is what I would use
    Is there no way to counter this, such as locking it in with a clear coat? I've never used RNB so excuse my ignorance.

From
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

If you were to put a clear coat over top of the rub-n-buff, I've heard that it will dull the look/finish.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Jango72 said: View Post
    If you were to put a clear coat over top of the rub-n-buff, I've heard that it will dull the look/finish.
    Yes, the cause of having to re-paint my jango bucket....